Widgets Magazine

Thread: 240 and Sooner

1. Default 240 and Sooner

Here are a couple links to new projects going up around the new Heart Hospital. There will finally be some retail out that way, plus some good sized industrial/commercial development.

Copper Creek - Retail
    Copper Creek Marketplace

Abbot Lake - Aerospace
    Abbott Lake Science & Technology Park

2. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

This is really good news for an underappreciated corner of the city.

There are some incredible neighborhoods being built south on Sooner (Near 119th st) as well, but that isn't new news.

3. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    This is really good news for an underappreciated corner of the city.

There are some incredible neighborhoods being built south on Sooner (Near 119th st) as well, but that isn't new news.
    I know this well...I live in one of them

You can even see my house in one of those sat pics.

And we don't need most of that crap...WE NEED A F'N GROCERY STORE.

Thanks for posting this bombermwc, it's news to me and it applies to my daily life in the near future (some of that stuff will be within sight of my house)...Although...Technically, it's in Oklahoma City, not Mid-Del.

Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Give it time, I am sure a Sprawl-Mart Neighborhood Dumpster will be in your neighborhood soon.

5. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

That would make my day.

I'd be happy with a Jerry's Foods...Heck, throw a Braums in there. ANYTHING to get some basic groceries within less than a 15 minute drive.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperScooper View Post
    Give it time, I am sure a Sprawl-Mart Neighborhood Dumpster will be in your neighborhood soon.
    The city's is making it a goal actually to keep development in the SE sector under wraps.

I live off of Sooner Road around 34th Street in Moore (164th OKC) and I love it out here. We aren't far at all from civilization, there are other really nice homes u/c like the plague (maybe that's a bad thing) and I have a really nice view of a dewy meadow and a shady thicket of trees beyond from my back porch.

Sooner Road makes travel into Norman and OKC a breeze. I just wish 134th was 4-lane past Sunnylane.

7. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

True - its really south OKC, but it's sort of an asstranged stepchild to Mid-Del since a lot of the kids around that area go to Mid-Del schools. And since so many people ignore the SE sector, I thought I'd go ahead and stick it in Mid-Del.

8. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Weird...It's in the Moore school district.

Spartan...Why would they be keeping it under wraps?

And a hospital that close to my house is a VERY good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I know this well...I live in one of them

You can even see my house in one of those sat pics.

And we don't need most of that crap...WE NEED A F'N GROCERY STORE.

Thanks for posting this bombermwc, it's news to me and it applies to my daily life in the near future (some of that stuff will be within sight of my house)...Although...Technically, it's in Oklahoma City, not Mid-Del.
    Holy moly, I had no idea this stuff was going up, I live right there (you can see my house too in one of the pics). Heck yeah it would be great to get a grocery store! Perhaps someone will get the hint, it would be a perfect place. Any word about what retail is going into the Copper Creek?

10. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Weird...It's in the Moore school district.
    Errr. wrong. Here's a map of Mid-Del....I think most people don't realize how much it streches out there.

http://mid-del.net/cms/builder/files...#37;20map-.pdf

As you can see GM is COMPLETELY in Mid-Del as well as MOST of this development.

I used to live over there when the Prairie Ridge and Eagles South subdivisions were being built up. Looking at it now, oh how its changed! Im still very suprised there isn't a grocery store there yet. Even back when I moved away I was almost certain a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market or something would pop up where it looks like now they are building that hospital.

I never knew about the city constraining development on the SE side. Any reason they are doing this?

12. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Every single kid in my neighborhood, as do all of them on the south side of 240 all the way out past Douglas, go to Moore schools. From Sooner Elementary right here on 89th (between Sooner and Sunnylane), all the way up to Moore High School. That's where this development is going up, and it's all I was talking about. I really don't care where this thread is...I'm just glad you posted it because now I know that they're finally going to put SOMETHING up right by my house, and this means that eventually I'll get a grocery store closer than 15 minutes or so.

Every single kid in my neighborhood, as do all of them on the south side of 240 all the way out past Douglas, go to Moore schools. From Sooner Elementary right here on 89th (between Sooner and Sunnylane), all the way up to Moore High School.
    This is right. Hey bombermwc, I just looked at the map. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 240 is around 80th, right where the Mid-Del line ends. This would jive with the fact that these houses (south of 240 on Sooner and no farther east than Westheimer Rd) is Moore district, NOT Mid-Del...so yeah the development you speak of (being south of 240) would be in Moore district as well.

14. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Actually, I stand corrected. The maps on Moore's web page are MUCH more specific and break it all the way down.

It splits right down the middle of the neighborhood. on what looks to be 82nd street.

Sorry bomber, I was wrong.

I'm going to look at some houses out there. I guess I need to make sure they are located south of 82nd huh?

Aww poo. Oh well its hard to see from that map. That's so random for the border to be south of a major highway like that.

17. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

I know...It IS weird.

What's weirder is, I just called a coworker that lives around here, north of 82nd (but south of 240), and all 3 of his kids ride the bus to Moore schools.

The Eagles subdivision go to Mid-Del while Eagles South and everything south of that go to Moore, including the division on the other side of Sooner (what it is called escapes my mind).

The people that live in semi-rural SE Oklahoma City have expressed rabid nimbyism when it comes to development, and development out there isn't an important-enough goal of the City Council anyway.

20. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The people that live in semi-rural SE Oklahoma City have expressed rabid nimbyism when it comes to development, and development out there isn't an important-enough goal of the City Council anyway.
    Tell that to the folks at Draper lake. They really screwed the ATV/motorcycle crowd for "development" crap, have been moving all kinds of dirt around, and have a fancy new entrance being erected at 240/Douglas. I mean really...Who's going to drive out to Douglas BLVD to go to a Bennigan's or for some other form of shopping?

I think they're doing a golf course too. Because you know...We don't have enough of those around.

Tell that to the folks at Draper lake. They really screwed the ATV/motorcycle crowd for "development" crap, have been moving all kinds of dirt around, and have a fancy new entrance being erected at 240/Douglas. I mean really...Who's going to drive out to Douglas BLVD to go to a Bennigan's or for some other form of shopping?

I think they're doing a golf course too. Because you know...We don't have enough of those around.
    You serious? What all are they building out there? Last time I was there, it was still very rural, can't imagine how a restaraunt such as Bennigan's would survive out there unless there was some major residential development in the area. Draper Lake wasn't a popular destination either as is Hefner.

Seems to me like OKC likes commercial development in the sticks.

22. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

I don't know what's going in, and all I know was from a year or so ago.... Plus...It's only rumor to the 4th degree by the time it reaches my ears, so going on my word that there will be anything major at Draper Lake would not be a good idea It was just my understanding that it was going to be built up with restaurants, shopping, and a golf course at the very least.

Some of the dirt work I see looks a bit like it could possibly be a golf course in the making, but they've been at it for a LONG time with little progress...And they really are spiffy-fying the entrance where Douglas hits the lake on the north side. I see that almost daily.

Makes me wonder if they did a jobber on the bicycle trails too.

23. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

Ive been curious to drive the road at the end of Douglas and 240 to see what's there. They put in those big stone signs like for a subdivision, but I didn't think anything was there except a lake..LOL.

I'm way excited that something is finally happening in the area. We've had those homes going in like crazy over the last 20 years, and nothing else with them. Yeah there's a lot of field out there still, but compared to what it was before, it's really filling in nicely.

Maybe the area would be a good place for a walmart neighborhood market? It seems like the type of place they would develop to me....sort of just breaking into the market. I would maybe see them putting it a little east of sooner? Maybe near that Copper Creek thing?

24. Default Re: 240 and Sooner

I drove down Douglas and around the NW corner of the lake this morning, and other than the fancy new entrance being almost done, nothing is happening. NOTHING.

Thread Information