Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

Default Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

I've been watching the demolition from my office yesterday and today of the old Dollar General building and the small building south of it on N. Classen just south of 12th. I wonder if Banta has bought this property or whom? It would be a perfect spot for the proposed hotel/retail/condo development that Marva Ellard's group proposed for the old Mercy site.

2. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

This kinda got me thinking, what will the significance of buildings built in the nuclear age be in 10 years or so, given the praise for anything pre-1940? As silly as it sounds, when do we preserve perceived-crappy Dollar Generals?

3. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

I was wondering what was in that spot...noticed the demolition today but couldn't figure out what was gone.

It obviously made a very deep impression on me while it was there.
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

Thanks Super Scooper, I was wondering because today they are ripping out the old parking lot as we speak. I don't think that building was worth preserving. I'm all for urban preservation, etc. But that was one ugly big box retailer building that didn't fit into the historic character of MidTown.

Office Depot to build MidTown store without public funds

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer
    Developer Greg Banta announced Wednesday he has an agreement with Office Depot to build a 22,000-square-foot store in MidTown — without public incentives.

It would be the downtown Oklahoma City area's second major retailer since publicly-subsidized Bass Pro Shops in Lower Bricktown opened in 2003.

Banta began redeveloping dozens of properties in the MidTown district on the west fringe of downtown two years ago, and is transforming a blighted stretch of Walker Avenue between NW 10 and NW 13 into a restaurant row.

Plans call for the Office Depot to be built at NW 12 and Classen, with construction starting with approval by the city's new Downtown Design Review committee.

Banta said the design calls for all brick and cast stone facade — a higher finish than a typical big box suburban outlet.

"We want it to tie into the buildings we have along Francis Avenue,” Banta said. "This will tie into the rest of the neighborhood.”

Banta said Office Depot is a result of increased recruitment of retail by Mayor Mick Cornett, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber and Downtown Oklahoma City Inc.

"Office Depot's considering of a downtown Oklahoma City location is tremendous,” said Alison Oshel, the chamber's director of community redevelopment. "Downtown and MidTown have long been under-serviced in terms of a full service office supply store. Office Depot is a national tenant with industry-wide recognition and their presence in our downtown retail market helps us to sell downtown to other national retailers.”

Banta added he's in talks with other retailers for nearby properties.

"This is huge,” Banta said. "It's hard to convince a national retailer to go into the unknown. Nobody wants to be first.”

Banta estimated the store will cost about $2.5 million. He anticipates asking for public tax increment financing dollars to rebuild public sidewalks and street lighting.

Mayor Mick Cornett said the Office Depot follows reports by locally-based B.C. Clark's Jewelers that business is up after a recent expansion at Broadway and Park Avenue. Cornett said he also encountered increased interest in downtown by retailers during a shopping center conference last month in Las Vegas.

But Cornett said Bass Pro Shops and B.C. Clark are both targeting tourists, while the Office Depot will be aimed at the downtown work force.

"The next step is to get retail that will meet the needs of people who live downtown — whether it be a grocery or cleaners,” Cornett said. "That's going to be the exciting wave when it comes. Once that happens, it's a significant corner to turn for downtown.”

7. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

That's huge news.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Retail yes.. but office supplies? hmm, well, they must have done their homework we hope and determined the viability of the location.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

8. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

Can anyone decipher whether that will be right on the street with parking in the back/side or will it just have a big parking lot in front as usual?

9. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

Because the 20 and 30 storey buildings nearby are full of offices.

An update. When I arrived to work this morning at 8am, half of the D.G. parking lot remained. It has now all been removed and most of it trucked away already and it hasn't even been an hour yet!

Retail yes.. but office supplies?
    Well, it does makes a lot more sense than fishing supplies. I'm actually excited about it, because it's between home and work for me (and I have a company Office Depot card ). I also like the fact that aesthetics are being considered by such a large chain in Oklahoma City. It at least shows some that these chains are willing to build to match the area, as they do it all the time in other markets.

I also think Classen is a good fit for these kinds of developments. There's some space there to build without clearing out some of the cooler old buildings and without dropping them right in the middle of the residential developments. The new guys could actually create some density and maybe spawn some upgardes in some of the older buildings.

Basically, I think Banta might actually have the new urban model down: provide modern services in an urban setting while preserving historic structures when possible.

12. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

I agree. I think that's awesome that such a chain is willing to conform. As for location, I don't think the company could've picked a better place than next to two business districts ...with tons of offices.

13. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

Two business districts?

14. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

OUHSC and CBD.

15. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

There's also a lot of offices all up and down Classen.

I think this is a great sign. I love the Classen area and have been thinking that a Barnes and Noble or Borders would fit in here nicely being so close to the University. I have noticed these book stores in other areas like this. I know you guys who live in MWC and south are screaming at me right now but this area just seems to fit in with other stores I have seen in other cities. For example, Fort Worth and Boise ID have major chain book stores in their DT areas which are relatively close to universities. I am not saying the other areas of town don't need a book store, I totally agree that you do.

The proposed site shows only one row of parking in the front with the majority of the parking being on the back side of building. They also added a big landscape buffer along Classen. This should be a big improvement over what was there......which was UGLY.

18. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

Are we talking one row in front like Downtown Edmond or an entire set of perpendicular parking on both sides after you turn into a parking lot?

A single row of parking in front of the building that includes the handicap spaces. The spaces face 12th street and there is a landscape barrier between the street and the parking spaces.

20. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

And please tell me the additional parking is on the side opposite Classen, with the building right on the street.

Yes....the building runs along Classen and faces 12th Street. The parking is on the east side of the building and behind the building where the old upholstery shop was. No parking or asphalt along Classen.....just a sidewalk and landscaping.

22. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

Excellent.

trison, do you have a rendering??

24. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

that is awesome.

Guys, dont complain about the fact that it is an office supply chain. We need all kinds of retail downtown and fact is, this major downtown does not currently have an office supply store. That is unthinkable!!!

So I am glad to hear this and am also happy with the location since it will make it accessible to OCU and the inner city as well as downtown's skyscraper tenants. And their design sounds totally awesome, I hope ALL retailiers that build stand-alone in the inner city of OKC will be required to follow this model from now on (although it would be even more perfect if parking would be below the building and not have a surface lot at all, but hey its a start)!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

25. Default Re: Dollar General demolished on Classen Blvd.

There is an office supply store downtown, but it is small and privately-owned. I can't remember the name of it, but I walked by it on Monday and I bought resume paper there once.
    Still corrupting young minds

Thread Information