Widgets Magazine

Thread: Antipasto

1. Default Antipasto

Okay,

So I'm planning a girl's night soon with my sis and a couple of work friends. We plan on watching the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" while enjoying wine, bellinis, antipasto, and tiramisu.

I need to find out where I should get my antipasto ingredients--I was planning on getting a couple of good salamis (genoa, and a hard salami) pepperoni, and good buffalo mozzarella. I already have some parmeggiano reggiano. I also plan to get two large bunches of cherry tomatoes to make marinated tomatoes. I would also like to get marinated olives (though I don't like them myself, the others do) and don't know where to get those. And roasted red peppers. It's going to be quite a spread!

Where would you recommend I go? I know there is a Med. Deli on N. May, but is it also a grocery? What about Kamp's? Any other places I should look?

Also, where would you recommend I get the tiramisu from? I need enough to feed four hungry gals.

Does anyone know if Byron's carries Prosecco? I would need it for the bellinis...OR a good sparkling white or cheap champagne.

Thanks for the ideas in advance! I have until the 21st but I'm one of those people that likes to have things really planned out in advance
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: Antipasto

Hey Bandnerd-

Def. check Med. Deli....they have great deli meats/cheeses, etc. I'd say they're your best bet. They have tons of marinated salads...olives, tomatoes, artichokes...the works. However, while I'm not a big fan of Crescent Market, they do have an extensive deli/meat counter, so you can check there as well. Albertsons has marinated olives too.

Med. Deli is your best bet for meats, cheeses and olives of all sorts including marinated. They also have lots of stuff in jars that would be good. You also might check in the Italian section at the Buy for Less on NW Expressway. They have interesting stuff that I haven't seen in jars, little pickled things.

My mom used to make these amazing little marinated mushrooms that are easy. You buy those button mushrooms in a jar, drain them and marinate them overnight in this oil and vinegar dressing called like Marrattis or Marteniz something like that. You could really use any good bottled oil and vinegar.

They is tasty!

4. Default Re: Antipasto

Awesome--thanks guys!

Does Big Sky or Brown's or other bakery do "artisan" type breads or can I get away with what stores like Albertson's do in their bakery...I'm usually pretty happy with those breads. I figured I could toast up a couple of baguettes or similar white italian type bread to put the meats and cheeses on.

I'm totally looking forward to this night now lol. I haven't hosted a girl's night since September!

Med Deli is, in fact, a very small grocery store with great product!! I would recommend that you go in and take a look around. If you tell Atif (the owner) what you have in mind, he would probably have some recommendations. Their meats, cheeses, and olives are all wonderful--and all in one place!!.

If you want specialty bread, I'd hit either Big Sky, Akins, Panera or Jamies (Casady Square). Akins and Jamies both carry Ferrell Family Breads from Tulsa (organic . . GREAT stuff!!). Akins sells it under the Akins label, but you can definitely pick it out from the other stuff. If you looking for "just" baguettes, La Baguette (on May) is good as is Cao Nguyen (the Palm Tree Market around 23rd and Classen/Western)

Byron's does indeed sell Prosecco. . .I took some to a gathering a couple weeks ago and everyone loved it. . .Zardetto. . . $12 plus a bottle.

Hope you have a great time!!

missed the tirimisu. . .it's not that hard to make and Med Deli has the marscarpone cheese and ladyfingers. . . or you might try Bellini's or Falcone's for ready-made. Or. . . think Cannoli's. . .Falcone's are terrific!!

7. Default Re: Antipasto

I've never made tiramisu, though it is just a layering thing. I'll compare the prices and see what's cheaper :P

Thanks for the tips, foodie! Cannolis would be good, too...never would have crossed my mind!

if you're picking up lady fingers for tiramisu at med. deli, what they have will be labeled 'savoiardi', which isn't exactly a ladyfinger but is more traditional to the dish. cannolis are great, but keep in mind that you soak the ladyfingers (not too long!) in rum-spiked espresso for tiramisu. that counts for something in my book.

-M

9. Default Re: Antipasto

Something tells me that rum-spiked espresso gets you more than just something in your book lol.

I'd make the tiramisu if I were you. You could make a whole pan of it and have some leftovers for much less than what you'd pay for that quantity...

Definately check out Med. Deli. they'll be able to hook you up. Talk to the fine folks at Falcone's too, about getting some stuffed olives -- their gorgonzola ones are to die for. The prosciutto ones are great too.

I've made both of these tiramisu recipes before. Both really good. I like Ina Garten's liberal use of the rum, personally, but Giada knows her stuff, too.

Giada De Laurentiis' recipe - Recipes : Tiramisu : Food Network

Ina Garten's - Recipes : Tiramisu : Food Network

Ina Rules!!

13. Default Re: Antipasto

I know, I love that woman. Her food looks amazing, but there's no way I could eat like that every day

I'm not sure if I want leftovers, though, John! Tiramisu is SO bad for you and I have an awful sweet tooth. My hips are big enough as it is haha.

That chick is an awesome cook! I made her "Roman Chicken" recipe once and it was absolutely amazing.

If you're wanting to purchase a good Tiramisu, I would get it from Flip's on Western. Hands down the best tiramisu in the metro, and the portions are huge. You could probably get by with 2 servings of it for your entire group. I think an order of it is $6. Can't beat it compared to the quantity they give you.

Thread Information