Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What The Heck Is Up

Default Re: What The Heck Is Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Holy crap I hate those kind of forums. What is this, 1998?
    LOL!...maybe 1989? WHEW!

2. Default Re: What The Heck Is Up

Seriously, it's awful at GNL...I've never even seen a forum put together like that until now! I didn't even participate in online forums when they looked like that :P
    Still corrupting young minds

Yes bandnerd that is what i am talking about is it was closed because we were using the names of the officials. DUH how else would you know who we were talking about. Anyways, I guess this kinda caused a stir because we have never had this many responses to any of our posts in the Guthrie room. WOOHOO

Perhaps the mod that did this made a mistake.

It's hard to know that these are public officials when we've never heard of them. A friend of mine, Tom Cook, ran for a House seat down there in Guthrie, so I'm personally familiar with some of the names in Logan County -- but not many. I can only assume most of our moderators (due respect) couldn't name one public official down there.

I moderate another board and it's just a kneejerk thing I do -- if I see something which might get the admin into a defamation suit, I just delete it.

Of course, if this board is anything like the place I moderate, it has a soft delete function which will allow that moderator (or any moderator) to undelete/undo all the things he/she did.

Your best bet is to handle this issue with them via PM. If they were mistaken in what they did (and I agree with you, public officials have no expectation of privacy when it comes to public comments like the ones that were squelched), they'll make it right.

If you're unsure how to use the private message function (and it's sort of hard to find in this software because the User CP has to be accessed in an ass-backwards way), just say so. We're all willing to help you.

Am I the only person who doesn't even look at the labels or categories for posts? If I am going to start a thread, of course I look at the topics and pick one. But as far as reading and responding...I could care less what category it's in. I just hit "new posts" and read the thread topics. If it sounds interesting I read it, if I have something to say then I respond. I don't even pay attention to whether it is from Guthrie, bricktown, pb&j...whatever.

6. Default Re: What The Heck Is Up

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't even look at the labels or categories for posts? If I am going to start a thread, of course I look at the topics and pick one. But as far as reading and responding...I could care less what category it's in. I just hit "new posts" and read the thread topics. If it sounds interesting I read it, if I have something to say then I respond. I don't even pay attention to whether it is from Guthrie, bricktown, pb&j...whatever.
    That's how I cruise the forums on just about every board I'm on.

Sorry guys I started all this mess, I was the one that named names of some officials, but we had done it on one here before, under the "streets" thread, so I didn't think it was a big deal.

Some of us came over here because of some things that were happening on the GNL thread. We're pretty isolated over there and forgot when we come over here, it's a much bigger world, it's not all about us. (it's ALL about ME HE HEHEE)

But I'm not sorry, because like Jman said, this is the first time we have had anyone else comment on our post.

You like us, you really really like us.......LOL

hey, it's no big deal. it's not as if anybody 'killed the pope' or anything. there's no problem in naming public officials. the problem in those posts was that the officials named were being tied to specific usernames on another board. i'm not questioning the truth of the statements in the thread i closed... but we have no way of verifying whether or not those usernames belong to those particular officials. we have had, on rare occasion, people posing as public personalities say some controversial things. we don't want to go down that road again.

and now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

-M

Ahhhh, never thought of it that way, I completely understand now. Gotcha.
    That's pretty dirty for someone to do that, pretend to be a public official and post as them. I really dislike some of ours in Guthrie, but I have NEVER thought of doing that. Sort of creepy. The Internet can be a powerful place, the "other" blog that no one here wants to hear about, has made some positive changes in our school system, it's truly amazing.

Keep up the good work, Moderator, You have a hard job.

Thanks for giving out that idea. That does sound like something that would happen over there. I give it a few days before pulblic officials start logging onto the board and comming out of the closet. Big city confusery meets small town dirty politics.

11. Talking Re: What The Heck Is Up

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    hey, it's no big deal. it's not as if anybody 'killed the pope' or anything.
    -M

Nope, didn't kill him, just jumped from the crowd onto his "Popemobile". Prolly, kinda scared the 'pope' right out of him, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Okiekatt View Post
    That's pretty dirty for someone to do that, pretend to be a public official and post as them.
    Yeah... immature and sleazy. The mods have been doing a pretty good job of keeping on top of that recently.

Thread Information