Widgets Magazine

Thread: Michael's Grill

Default Michael's Grill

This one of Oklahoma's newer (I think) fine dining-type establishments. It's best described as a Lebanese steakhouse... think Jamil's but nicer and pricier. The restaurant is located in a shopping mall just out of Nichols Hills, basically at the intersection of May and Grand.

The food was from what I could tell pretty good. Most of us (including myself) ordered the special. I forget what it was called.. but it was NOT good. The crab meat was VERY salty. Others at my table were very happy with their food. Most of us had the Caesar salad which was excellent.

I can't complain about their birthday cake either.

Good wine and scotch selection overall.

Atmosphere is excellent.

For six people, we spent just above $400.

The link:
    Michael's Grill OKC - Menu

2. Default Re: Michael's Grill

We just happened to notice this Saturday while switching cars behind Starbucks and were commenting that a little place like that in that location would need great word of mouth to make it. How new is it? I'm sure my dad would like it because he really likes Jamil's.

3. Default Re: Michael's Grill

The waitress told me Michael's has been there for 11 years, they use no advertising and go solely by word of mouth.

I was smart, and read up some reviews before we went. Those reviews told me I should try the ceasar salad (excellent...not that "creamy" ceasar dressing, it's the real deal) because sometimes he'll make it at the table (we had a large group and that didn't happen so it's probably for smaller groups) and that I should get the KC (or NY) strip. 13oz of yumminess. I ordered the dauphenoise potatoes and didn't like them as they had a lot of rosemary in them, and it's just not my favorite herb. Others at the table had the au gratin potatoes (the normal side) and they looked incredibly cheesy and good. I feel stupid now :P

The dish Mid got was called "tournedoes" or something like that. Steak medallions with crab meat and a lobster-bernaise sauce, with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes.

Oh yeah, and you get crispy toasts before anything...very buttery and crispy. Like big croutons. You also get bread during the meal, but we had enough so that bread wasn't eaten. Grandma took it home with her leftovers.

I got an excellent Washington Apple Martini. I had asked for a cosmo and the bartender told me he'd make me something better. It was!

I was very happy with everything I got, except the potatoes, and I think that was more personal taste than a goof-up of the restaurant. Next time I'll know better! And the waitress was very sweet, despite some of the members of the table not letting the salt thing go...Mid's brother isn't very shy about things like that it seems.

The "birthday cake" was a big slice of chocolate cheesecake...I only got a small bite because Mid's mother seemed intent on eating the whole damn thing before he even got a bite! It was served with a blackberry sauce and had a message written in chocolate on the plate. Definitely worth mentioning it's your birthday if you decide to go then
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: Michael's Grill

Never tried this one. Doesn't really sound like it would bump Jamil's down the list though. While I do not go often, I've never had less than excellent service and a most satisfying meal. Jamil's infrastructure has seen some better times, no doubt, but in my own odd way, I just chalk that up as part of its charm.

For the MG fans out there however, enjoy enjoy.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 06-10-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

5. Default Re: Michael's Grill

Michael's Grill near May and Grand is fantastic. I have been once on someone else's tab. They mix the salad right in front of you just like my dad did when I was a kid. Small intimate setting.

Thread Information