Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wedge

Multiple Locations The Wedge

Has anyone ckecked out The Wedge on Western?? They were supposed to open 29 May I believe.

Default Re: The Wedge on Western

Yeah, they were supposed to open on May 29th (tuesday). I haven't checked it out yet either but am curious. If I would have thought of it, I would have gone today for lunch.

Where is it? I'm already out of the loop and haven't officially moved yet!

4. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

What kind of food is it?

Pizza.

They're open, I've been meaning to stop by. Maybe tomorrow for dinner...

I've been there and really liked the food. It's brick oven pizza. They have a couple of nice appetizers and some great salads. The main menu has gourmet pizza, but for the faint of heart, there's a build your own pizza with three kinds of sauces, several different kinds of cheeses and multiple toppings. They apparently haven't got their liquor license yet, but will be serving it eventually. The place was packed when I was there, and service was a bit slow, but my pizza was delicious.

And yet, no one will tell me where it is!?!?>!?

8. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

It's on Western, like in restaurant row. It's a very small place...only seats 35 from what I read a couple of weeks ago...but it's not hard to find. Just drive along Western north of 36th, it'll be on the west side of the road.
    Still corrupting young minds

It's in that building that used to be Gary Held's hair salon on Western, a couple of blocks south of 50th. They tore down the building next door that has been many things (head shop, Yippee Yi Yo Coffee and most recently a Fiesta Pottery store) and made surface parking.

It's a Deep Fork spin-off. Heard it is good, it has been packed all week.

My wife and I went a couple of days ago. We had the Wedge Trio appetizer (olive tapenade, artichokes, and red pepper hummus), ceasar salads, Margherita Pizza, and some gelato (vanilla for me, mocha for her). All of it was good. As betts said, it's brick oven pizza. They have a handful of specials with unique sauces and also have a build your own (all sauces available for those as well). The ceasar is kind of a lighter version of Deep Fork's (and not as good, but still better than most these days). The margherita features a great garlic sauce and fresh basil.

Our service was great and friendly. The dining area is small, but I think that's a good thing. It does, however, look like they will have a courtyyard soon which will be very nice for pizza al fresco or just to have a beer.

It is located where GoGo Gelato was going to be and the courtyard is surrounded with a new fence painted with an abstract mural. You can't miss it if you drive down lower Western just below 50th on the west side of the street.

Perfect! Now I know EXACTLY where it is. I used to go to the Yippee Yi Yo in college.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    It's a Deep Fork spin-off. Heard it is good, it has been packed all week.
    Same owners?

I spoke with one of the owners of Deep Fork/North Fork/Cafe Nova and he was really up on his pizza -- but down on the fact that folks generally didn't come to his restaurants for pizza.

This is probably a good move for them -- a great way to diversify. That ownership group does good work.

I just tried the Wedge tonight and I fell in love with it. I had the Napoli pizza with chicken added, and it was delicious. Light, refreshing, and filling --- and amazingly low on grease.

I strongly recommend this place as the best pizza in town... it really really beats Hideaway.

What are we looking at price wise?...Wondering what a Deep Fork pizza runs

Most pizzas were between $12.00 and $14.00, and it was $2.00 to add chicken to mine. You'd probably pay something different if you had a custom-made pizza, too, depending on the number of toppings. I thought it was reasonable, and like I said, better than Hideaway.

Try the port and sun dried tomato sauce on a pizza. It's excellent. I highly recommend the Italian Stallion (pizza). The tomato caprese salad was great as well. My second visit was even better than the first.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I just tried the Wedge tonight and I fell in love with it. I had the Napoli pizza with chicken added, and it was delicious. Light, refreshing, and filling --- and amazingly low on grease.

I strongly recommend this place as the best pizza in town... it really really beats Hideaway.
    I just went to the Wedge and thought it was great! The pizza is good, but not in the way that Falcone's is good, and I probably wouldn't try to compare it to Hideaway pizza because its just too different...its like Euro-style pizza or something. Anyhow, it was just very good, and I like the unique toppings. Liked the Italian Stallion but what beats that is the Fig and Proscuitto pizza (not sure what they call it, if it is the Napoli pizza I apologize) - OMG its amazing! Sweet and savory! And yes, low on grease!

What would make the Wedge better (atmosphere wise) would be an actual bar...although i must admit I do like saving a buck by BYOB...nah maybe its right just the way it is!

18. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

We visited The Wedge yesterday...got the Truffle Shuffled and the Italian Stallion to share between three people. I concur about the sun-dried tomato and port sauce...SO good...I also had the ceasar salad, which was great and I was able to watch the girl make my salad right in front of me since we sat at the bar.

The list of first courses looked pretty good, as well--an antipasto platter, and proscuitto-wrapped pears w/goat cheese and a balsamic glaze (I believe it was balsamic). Also, a mozzarella pannini. I look forward to going back!
    Still corrupting young minds

19. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

The trio appetizer was GREAT, my pizza was so-so, nothing to write home about. I'm thinking of going back and trying a different kind of pizza this weekend & giving it another shot. Great service for sure.

My wife and I ate here today at lunch with much anticipation. I must say, it didn't live up to the hype or my expectations. I was anticipating great things from the DFG's latest restaurant. The ambiance is nice but it is very loud even at lunch. Definitely not a good place if you want to have a business lunch or talk. We shared the Italian Stallion pizza because it sounded the best as well as the great reviews above. It came with the port wine sauce.

I thought the pizza was good, but not $15.00 good. It's comparable to a small pizza at most pizza shops as far as size. It had 6 small slices.

Taste was obviously better since they use high quality fresh ingredients. It definitely had a rustic taste (which I love). I guess you could say it's more true Italian style pizza. Toppings were very minimal and I couldn't taste anything special in the sauce. I did find it interesting the pizza was topped with fennel. An unusual twist but good. All in all, I'd say it's a decent pizza place better than any chain. I don't think it's worth the money for such small pizza's. When I pay $15 for a tiny pizza, I want to get full.

I was also disappointed at the fact they don't have a lunch menu. Really it's either a salad or a $15.00 pizza. They don't do sandwiches or pizza by the slice. Kind of pricey for lunch IMO. I prefer the quality, quantity, and price of Sauced in the Paseo over Wedge.

They've got a sign up saying they're now serving beer and wine. And the outdoor eating area is about half completed.

Their outdoor area is going to be much bigger than the indoor seating area.

Just found this thread... and just recently ate there. Great service! Great food! The Wedge Trio is a fine start for a meal... outstanding hummus, and really flavorful tapenade; my wife and I and our friends sampled from a Vedge and an Italian Stallion pizza. The Vedge was awesome (pine nuts on a pizza... who knew?) but the Italian Stallion okay, but it was an unusual taste, IMHO.

It was a little chilly to dine in the outdoor space, but there was enough room inside for everyone on a Monday night, so it wasn't an issue. I will return next year (if they are still around, of course) and try some more exotic menu choices!

24. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

Thanks for bringing this thread up. Now that they have been open for a while I think it fair to comment.

I've eaten at the Wedge four or five times. Each time, I've tried a different pizza. With the exception of my last visit, I've been pleased. I was really glad to see this type of pizza in OKC open up near where I live.

It is true that the Wedge is loud when three fourths to full of patrons; they have a limited floor plan. This typically does not distract me, but it does make it difficult to have conversations. They have 2 TVs that played sports each and every time I visited.

The prices are a bit high, but ingredient quality seems to be well matched to the prices, even if the pizza size is a bit small for the 'American' style. However, I must complain about the $6.50 glasses of wine. They offer just one white and one red varietal and serve it in a water glass. Wine snob? Maybe. But it matters to me.

On my last visit, I tried the Italian Stallion pizza. The fennel was indeed a strong taste, but I like fennel. Some may not. However, I was amazed that the pizza was served luke warm. It wasn't really under cooked per se, but just luke warm.
    This was the first time that happened. In spite of it, I was hungry, didn't want to send it back and wait, and so I ate up my half of the pizza. It was good, just not properly heated.

In my opinion, the Wedge is having a identity crisis. They are simultaneously styled after a European pizza restaurant (finer food and high prices) and a sports bar (casual neighborhood hangout).

Will I eat there again? Probably yes, but for lunch, not diner. I know that I can match the quality of the food and get better wine chez moi for far less expense. Fortunately I like to cook, so that is not an obstacle. The reason that I go out for diner is either for unusual or exceptional food, or to enjoy a great dining experience with friends or family. I'm not sure the Wedge hits 100% either nitch, let alone both. However, the Wedge would be a good place to go for lunch with coworkers, especially if they eventually add a lunch menu.

25. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

I tried the Wedge once early on. I agree with a lot of what has been said here. They are doing some good things, but they need to really find the balance of price point and quality. Right now, I think they are charging pretty high prices for an experience that is good, but maybe not as high-end as they want it to be. But hey, time will tell if the market will support it. I hope they do well.

Thread Information