Widgets Magazine

Thread: Visiting 1st Baptist in Edmond....anyone go there?

Default Visiting 1st Baptist in Edmond....anyone go there?

While we are in Edmond next month, we wanted to visit 1st Baptist in Edmond and was just wondering if anyone here has gone or is a member of it?

We've visited Heritage Baptist on Council, just north of the turnpike and Waterloo Road Baptist and decided 1st Baptist would be next.

Thanks!

2. Default Re: Visiting 1st Baptist in Edmond....anyone go there?

I don't go there, but I've heard good things about it by people who used to go there. It is a more traditional Baptist church from what I understand. I hope you like it.

Looks like you're a Baptist and looking on the far northwest/Edmond area of the city, so I hope you get around to visiting my church, Henderson Hills. It's at I-35 & 15th in Edmond. Our website is Henderson Hills Baptist Church | Henderson Hills Baptist Church

Default Re: Visiting 1st Baptist in Edmond....anyone go there?

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I don't go there, but I've heard good things about it by people who used to go there. It is a more traditional Baptist church from what I understand. I hope you like it.

Looks like you're a Baptist and looking on the far northwest/Edmond area of the city, so I hope you get around to visiting my church, Henderson Hills. It's at I-35 & 15th in Edmond. Our website is Henderson Hills Baptist Church | Henderson Hills Baptist Church
    It's on our list!! We actually visited it a few years ago when I was pregnant with my DD when ya'll were still at the old location. Had a positive experience there, so we decided to put it on our list. I noticed that HHBC has a pretty active ministry according to what we've read on their website and that is important for my DH.

Thanks for the info!

4. Default Re: Visiting 1st Baptist in Edmond....anyone go there?

It's a little more of a drive, but check out Northwest Baptist.

www.nwbc.tv

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    It's a little more of a drive, but check out Northwest Baptist.

www.nwbc.tv
    Thanks for the info! We may check out the north campus.

Our church home here is 12 miles away, but with traffic is takes about 25-30 mins to get there, so we are used to the drive.

6. Default Re: Visiting 1st Baptist in Edmond....anyone go there?

We live in Edmond but drive to the Central Campus. We are right off I-35 and it only takes us 20 minutes.

But definitely check out the North Campus. Same pastor, but the worship is more modern.

Patrick Guest

In reference to the Edmond churches, I think it depends on what type of Baptist church you're wanting. 1st Baptist Edmond is your traditional Southern Baptist Church. Henderson Hills really only has Baptist in the name, but they act more as a non-denom church, IMO. Their church structure isn't like the traditional Southern Baptist Church.

Other churches that are far north......

You might try Quail Spring Baptist at NW 150th and May Avenue. They have two traditional services, and one contemporary service.
    There's also Crossings Community Church, at 150th and N. Portland.

I'd definitely give the North campus of Northwest Baptist Church a shot, especially if you like contemporary worship.
    Last edited by Patrick; 05-25-2007 at 11:17 AM.

First Baptist Edmond - I Belong!!!
    E-mail sent with a few more details.

Thanks Patrick! A friend recommended Crossings; her family went there until they moved here to TX. I've seen Quail Springs and we are considering visiting that one also.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!!!
    Blessings!

Patrick Guest

Honestly, if I didn't go to Northwest Baptist, I'd probably go to Crossings. I grew up in that church, back when it was a little tiny church called Westridge Hills Church of God, and later Belle Isle Community Church. Now, they have over 4,000 people every Sunday. They've always offered a ton of ministries, and I think that's why people like it. The place is literally a small city. You'll see that if you visit their website at crossingsokc.org. They also have videos of their worhsip services on their website.

Their main worship services are at 9:30AM and 11AM in the main sanctuary. The service is a blended service, with a hymn or two, and the rest praise songs. They have a worship band, full orchestra (and I do mean, it's large), and full adult choir. And of course they have all of the audio-visual stuff you'd find in a big church. They also have a 9:45AM service in the gymn that's more geared for young people...they have a praise band, and it's contemporary to the extreme.

Patrick Guest

Northwest Baptist is very similar to Crossings, only a little smaller. They have about 700-800 folks at the main campus every Sunday, and the North campus has grown from 50 people up to about 200 now, and still growing.

Main campus is similar to Crossings main services...blended worship, with a praise band, praise team, and all of the audio-visual stuff. North campus is a tad bit more contemporary suppsedly, although I think the main campus had really moved in that direction as well. They've pretty much dumped the choir and gone to the typical modern praise team/praise band approach. Really, I'd say both services are pretty similar.

I'd say that pastor at Northwest is far better than the pastor at Crossings, IMO. That's not to bash Marty Grubbs, senior pastor at Crossings because I love Marty. But, Craig Etheredge is easier to listen to, and I think his sermons are more illustrative and more applicable to life, where you're at now.

I've listened to Hance Dilbeck at Quail Springs Baptist preach as well. He's really good as well. Very comparable to Craig Etheredge IMO. Both are young and energetic pastors. Only thing that turned me off from Quail Springs is I think they put more emphasis on their traditional services than their contemporary service.

12. Default Re: Visiting 1st Baptist in Edmond....anyone go there?

Craig is great. He's very personable, very relatable. We call him Pastor Craig, or just Craig. There is no expectation that you call him Dr. Etheredge, in fact you would never know he has a doctorate if someone didn't tell you, because everything just says Craig or Pastor Craig or Craig Etheredge.

His sermons are energetic and creative and he doesn't yell fire and brimstone. He's funny, but doesn't use humor too much, and his sermons are topical and relevant to today's society. He also doesn't preach Republicanism like most Baptist pastors around here, and whether your a Republican or not, it makes sense for a pastor to be somewhat neutral in that area. I know that's another thing that Patrick likes about him.

Thread Information