Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

1. Default Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

EDMOND (AP) — An Edmond couple who hosted a party where police say alcohol was served to underage drinkers were arrested under the city's new "social host” ordinance.

The Edmond ordinance, passed in December, is the first of its kind in the state and is intended to cut down on underage drinking. Adults who knowingly provide alcohol to teens in their home can be fined $500 or serve 60 days in jail.

Police said they were called to a loud party at a home in northeast Edmond about 1 a.m. Sunday.

Police saw several underage teens outside the home, and the officers said there was a strong odor of alcohol on the teens.

Craig Macleod, 46, the homeowner, was arrested for allowing a place for minors to consume alcohol. His wife, Teresa Macleod, also was arrested.

Macleod told police he did not provide the alcohol, but did allow the teens to drink because he wanted them to do it in a safe place.

2. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

Macleod told police he did not provide the alcohol, but did allow the teens to drink because he wanted them to do it in a safe place.
    And next week Macleod is hosting a teen orgy - for the same reasons!

3. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

With condoms provided, of course.

Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

Like that law is going to stop underage drinking. Instead of doing it somewhere safe they are probably going to DRIVE somewhere.

The intention of the law is to cut off one of the sources of alcohol. It sets a double standard when store clerks and waitstaff are cited for selling it to minors while mom and dad are supplying it at home.

6. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

I agree. Teenagers are naturally crafty creatures, and will find a way to drink if they want to. Eliminate safe havens for purchase and consumption, and maybe you can at least make it more difficult for them.

7. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

I agree with the law, though it is more PR than anything else. It has always been illegal for ANY adult to provide alcohol to a minor forever.

I also don't buy the "if we don't give them a safe place then they'll do it somewhere else."

While they probably will, that goes back on the parents too.

This has been a debate for as long as the hills have been alive. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I can say that I will not be providing alcohol, drugs, sex or anything else I deem inappropriate to my son or any of his friends. And if the parents of his buddies provide this - I will be having a conversation with them that I assure you would make you take a few steps back and wish you had a camcorder. It is not our jobs to make inappropriate things safe for them, or to be their buddy - we are parents. Educate them about these subjects and then trust them to make the right decisions. When they make stupid choices, because they will - it's part of growing up, hold them accountable for their actions and encourage them to learn from it. I say that if the term contributing to minors exists - then all who do this should be held accountable for it. Including parents. Maybe even more so parents for me, they are the biggest role models kids have. And that term kids will be kids and are going to do it anyway is a crock of crap and an excuse for parents to party. A little insight on this - my mother provided these things for myself and my friends. At the time I thought it was cool. As an adult, I see how desperate and pathetic it was. We no longer are on speaking terms, so it isn't going to help your kids love you parents. Wake up. Become an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    I can say that I will not be providing alcohol, drugs, sex or anything else I deem inappropriate to my son or any of his friends. And if the parents of his buddies provide this - .

I say that if the term contributing to minors exists - then all who do this should be held accountable for it. Including parents.
    That is the key (IMHO) to this ordinance. The parents in this case did not provide the alcohol but knew it was being consumed at thier home by underage drinkers. This is contributing to minors , with the social host ordinance defining one specific aspect of that general term.

10. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

PLEASE do not provide sex to your son.

11. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

It's one thing to take responsibility to provide a "safe place" for your own kid, but that's no excuse when it comes to other people's kids.

12. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

It's not like the Edmond PD are kicking in doors looking for 19 year-olds having a glass of Bordeaux with dinner. They are responding to complaints. If you have a yard full of noisy teens drinking beer, then yes, your neighbors will call the police! Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    PLEASE do not provide sex to your son.
    I know, sounds sick huh. But look at the headlines and you will see it happens all too often. Buying hookers for children, and who can forget mom of the year. Her shirt said so when she showed up for court when she was arrested for letting her boyfriend have sex with her daughter to teach her the "right way" to do it.

I think laws like this are really ridiculous, and are nothing but PR moves. We already have laws with names like "disturbing the peace" and "furnishing alcohol to a minor" that should be more than enough to cover such offenses. Its absurd when cities like Edmond make laws like this, or like when Norman creates the "Nuisance Party" violation. I understand where these towns are coming from--this stuff needs to be under control, but to make brand new laws like one never existed is unnecessary.

15. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

Being recently graduated from teenager status at the ripe old age of 20, I can tell you that I have had personal run ins with this law. But the bottom line is, do not invade the rights of others. If you are being quiet and respectful to others around you, you will be fine. Even when the cops showed up at my place once and I was obviously quite inebriated, I completely complied with the cops and gave them the utmost in respect as I always do, and they said "this is your warning just keep it down". So all in all I agree with the law as well even though it sometimes works against me. I have had my own nights when others are being to loud and I just want to sleep. So I am all for the partying, but keep it low key.

Of course, cops have total discretion to do what they want. In Edmond, as with anywhere else, a LOT depends on the cop who shows up.

I'm not so sure about this ordinance. Kids are going to drink no matter what. Why punish people who are simply trying to provide a relatively safe, controlled environment?

17. Default Re: Edmond couple arrested under city's ‘social host' ordinance

I've thought long and hard about this too.

I don't want my boys to drink until they turn 21 but I fear that they will.

I'm hoping later than sooner, preferably college age, so far, they aren't out of my sight ie parties etc .. but in a few years, I know they are going to be.

When thinking about two scenarios .. I ask myself.... would I rather have a police officer knock on my door to arrest me for having a party or a police officer knocking on my door telling me my child is dead because the friend driving him home was drunk?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Agreed Midtowner - Agreed

I like this law. I am in my mid-twenties and there are times I feel that if my parents would have let me try alcohol in my teenage years I would have been more responsible with it in high school and college, but I was ignorant and curious so I think I went a little excessive. Still, in High School the places we partied at were the places where the parents allowed it and bought the alcohol. If we didnt have those houses to go to, It would have taken a lot more effort to find alcohol or a place to drink. In college things are different, because you hang out with people over 21 all the time, so you have no problem finding alcohol... but at the High School age I believe most of those kids get their alcohol from the parents. A lot of people use the excuse of "I want a safe place for my child to drink" - that is crap. Especially when you are giving other kids alcohol. No parent has the right to supply other peoples children with alcohol. I cant imagine how angry I would be if I was the parent of one of those other children... and in reality, there were times in High School the parent would tell us we would have to spend the night there, and we'd still leave... no parent can account for 15-20 teenagers. I know it is a PR deal, but I think if parents stop supplying alcohol to groups of 16 year olds it may keep a great deal of high school students from drinking.

Jules, if it's not at someone's house, it'll be in the middle of a field.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    And that is what makes this issue much more difficult than some may think.

I think way too many parents are naive and don't think their little angels drink. I know I grew up that way... I am not saying its OK to give minors alcohol, but I guess this is about the lesser of two evils. This does seem like more a PR stunt than anything, especially since there are already laws about providing a minor with booze.

Saw an update piece on this story this morning...Didn't hear what was said, but did enjoy the shot of the cool kid flipping off the cameraman

Ahh...I love teens so much I would.....Vote on a law to send them all off to boarding school until they reach age 21

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    So...based on your "they are going to do it anyway" theory, we should just let them do it at home so they will be safe. Do you suggest we give them their first joint also to make sure it isn't laced with something? How about needles for drugs - just to make sure they aren't used by someone with HIV. This is the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard. So instead of being their parent and holding them accountable for their choices...we should just let them do whatever they want because they will find a way to do it. Do you not understand that they wouldn't and couldn't do it anyway without your mentality and assistance? If people stopped providing it for them...they couldn't get it!! And where is the line drawn on what is okay for them to do and what isn't? As teenagers they aren't able to make this distinction. They assume that it's okay as long as they are in a 'safe' place.

Thread Information