Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

1. Default Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

I heard a rumor the other day that Hobby Lobby founder and owner David Green was building an obscenly expensive house on the Canadian river. I could not turn up any info on this, so I am inclined to not believe it.

However, it got me to thinking. In these days of the OKC Renaisannace, our major corporations and their CEOs have been playing (and paying) a large part in our success. They have been key in things such as bringing the NBA to our city (and hopefully bringing it back), Downtown in December, the boathouse, the bell tower on the OK river, and countless other programs, events, and projects throughout the city and state.

But what about Hobby Lobby? Alot of folks in OKC don't even realize that Hobby Lobby is HQ'd in their hometown. Nor do they realize that HL is projected to do $1.8 BILLION in sales this year. I did some research on HLs community involvement and found that they primarily give to conservative Christian interests. I have no beef with HL spending their giving dollars in these interests as I a Christian and like to do my chairitable giving thru my church. But I also believe that Christianity should be relevant to community in which it resides. A good Christian is a good citizen.

This brings me to the queston: Is Hobby Lobby a good Corporate Citizen?

If you are interested, here is the link to the corporate page: Hobby Lobby Creative Centers

2. Default Re: Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

I would like to see them invest more in their city, but they are giving TONS to charity, so I can't complain too much.

Default Re: Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

He has already built the obscenly expensive house. He may be adding on.

4. Default Re: Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

I couldn't care less if they spent millions buying table dances for their CEO's at the Red Dog.

It's their business and their profits. I'd shop there regardless.

I'm advised the Green's do indeed have a rather large, extremely nice home. I frequent the area, but I've never ventured onto their private property as I am neither acquainted with them nor under any form of invitation.

If I operated a series of business ventures as successfully as the Green's, I'd likely have a similar spread to enjoy the fruits of my efforts.

Thinking back, I can't say as I've ever heard anything that suggests they, and their businesses, are anything except good citizens of the community. Like many folks of means with successful companies, not everything done will garner a name on the wall or up in lights or even a small headline over a small blurb.

Not meaning to knock those what do in the least, but not everyone craves seeing their name all aglow in letters 6 feet tall.

Patrick Guest

He's a CEO like any of the other CEO's. The CEOs of Chesapeake, Devon, Dorchester Capital, and Midfirst Bank, all have very large homes. I don't see where David Green should be any different. He's the CEO of a major American corporation.

Asking whether he should live in a big house, reminds me a lot of The Oklahoman questioning Larry Jones' salary many years ago, and bashing Feed the Children. I think at that time, Larry Jones made something like 150K a year. From a CEO's standpoint, 150K a year isn't much, but The Oklahoman asked the question how could the CEO of a charitable corporation be making that much money. Folks, he's a CEO and has to run the corporation like any other CEO. He has a huge responsiblity. Why should the CEO of Feed the Children make any less than any other CEO? As I already said though, Larry makes significantly less than most CEO's. Heck, how much you think McClendon makes at Chesapeake? I bet it's over 200K a year.

David Green invests hugely in Christian charities. So, I don't think we can really say he doesn't give to the community. He's probably one of the largest donors keeping the City Rescue Mission alive. I don't look down upon him for choosing to invest in religious charities over other community causes. If he weren't giving anything, then I might balk at him, but he gives his share. I will note, he does it quietly, unlike some of the other corporations around town. It's not like you see the City Rescue Mission being named after him or anything. I think he gives as his religion tells him to give......not boasting of his gifts. That's probably why you never hear much about his involvement in the community...he doesn't desire a lot of fanfare.

7. Default Re: Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

Maybe he's just not interested in having a bunch of things named after him...

David Green and his wife started Hobby Lobby in their garage in the 1970's
    and it wasn't until the late 80s that they moved out of that first home......
    into a 10,000sf spread in brownsville in Bethany. It was nice, but not palatial.

He has spent over 5 years building the home he moved into last year, it is around 20,000 sf and as I recall, it has only three bedrooms. It does have
    a double olympic size pool with a retractable roof and 9 (YES 9!) giant walk in size fireplaces surrounding the pool, 3 on 3 sides......

The home is palatial, but compared to his worth, it would be much like
    an average person purchasing a home for 1000 bucks....

David Green is a simple man who built an unreal company. His faith means
    something to him, it's not just posturing. In my business dealings with HL,
    I have found it to be one of the most unbelievably ethical organizations
    I've ever been associated with. People don't have any degree of understanding
    of what it cost this company to close down on Sundays........but they did it....

He has donated countless stores around the country to churches to start
    out of including here locally. Could he do more in bricktown? Probably.....
    but why should he subsidize what is rolling along by itself, when he
    could invest so much in Churches that are just beginning.....

David's Hobby Lobby, as well as Mardel and his newer venture, Hemispheres
    are very good presences and we can be proud it is headquartered here.

As noted before, I have no issues with HL or the Green's, nor with the decision that the stores do not operate on Sundays.

However, I'm not certain it follows that this greatly costs the company, or any other company that elects to close for faith based reasons.

When the customer base knows a desired product is not available on a given day, don't they just alter their shopping schedule. Perhaps there is some level of lost opportunity, but I have difficulty in seeing it as a significant level of lost income.

I don't know how much it hurts Hobby Lobby, but look at Chick Fil A. How many people eating lunch at the mall food court on a Sunday afternoon would have bought a chicken sandwich if they were open?

Shopping schedules are adjusted.........
    Hobby Lobby Monday thru Saturday
    Michaels on Sunday

Closing Sundays isn't going to break the company, but
    it's a significant impact on the bottom line compared
    to the year before....

More companies could/should do the same for
    their employees.

Here it is on Google Maps: the Sat image is probably a year or two old.

You can see it from the south side of the river, up on a bluff. Quite a spread, and it must command a fine view of the river valley below.

Keith Guest

That's why I respect David Green so much. He donates millions each year to different charities, and about the only way you find out about it is by word of mouth. He doesn't want the recognition, and he always gives God the glory, so I would say that he is on the right track.

Yes, he mainly gives to Christian organizations, but there is nothing wrong with that. Look at all the major corporations that give tons of money to the secular organizations. He just chooses to give to Christian organizations, and that's why I believe that he has been blessed with so much. God blesses a cheerful giver.

Plus, his stores are all closed on Sundays, and as you can very well see, it hasn't hurt his business any. He is an example that many CEO's should follow.

I, too, laud Hobby Lobby and its business practices.

That it gives up Sunday revenue to allow its employees time for family and worship says volumes about the roots of the company. If the worst thing someone can say about Hobby Lobby is that it didn't become a corporate sponsor of the NBA, that's cool with me.

-soonerdave

15. Default Re: Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

I personally do not agree with the policy of retail stores being closed on Sundays. I agree a store can do as they choose, I just don't think it makes that much business sense.

I'd love to see an accurate tally of the number of employees that are in church Sunday morning.

Many will disagree, but I think their policy of being closed on Sundays is foolish and done for PR reasons. Michael's doesn't seem to be a ghost town on Sunday afternoons.

Of course, I remember when the Edmond HL was closed around 6pm on week nights (many, many years ago) - now that was nuts!

i'm with you, bailjumper... i'm pretty sure that hobby lobby is opened on sundays around the christmas season... so the whole closed sundays thing sounds like pr to me. not that i think that's some evil marketing strategy... just calling a spade a spade. -M

ok, I've been debating whether or not I should comment on this thread or just let it go since I am an employee of the Hob Lob Corp location.

I can assure you that we are not open on any Sundays, even during the Christmas season. And I would say that the majority of people that work here do attend church services on Sundays. David is not concerned with any business loss from being closed, most people know we are closed on Sundays so they buy the things they need on other days. Family time and God are two important things to him, more important than any loss of revenue.

He donates an enormous amount of money every year to numerous charities within Oklahoma and does so because he believes in them, not for name recognition or to make his company look good.

David is usually the first one in the door every morning and the last one to leave every day. He works very hard! But he is the first CEO I have worked with that speaks to every employee when he sees them, he gets out of his office and walks around his facility and is involved with the process, and he treats everyone with respect and makes you feel welcome. He also has a fantastic sense of humor.

Another thing to consider when comparing Hob Lob with other companies of this nature is that this is still a privately owned company and will remain that way. So whatever he chooses to do with his money is his business.

i for sure agree that it's green's business what he does with his company's money... and i'm glad he gives to causes in which he believes in. i'll have to say that the hobby lobby name isn't plastered over alot of charitable projects it's involved with around town... and i'm glad for that, too.

though i am pretty sure (but not 100&#37 that hobby lobby is open extended hours, including sundays, during the holiday season... and i'm not saying that's wrong; just saying that it is.

-M

19. Default Re: Hobby Lobby/David Green - Good Citizens?

If she works there, I think she would know.

if i've shopped there and am fairly certain i've seen ads touting holiday hours... don't you think i might know, too? still not saying that i'm for sure right, though. -M

Nope, no Sundays. The only stores that extend their holiday shopping hours are the ones in Texas also, but even they are closed on Sundays.

...well, i checked on it just to be sure. holiday ads from 2001 and 2003 do show "closed sundays." so, i'll kindly retract my "closing sundays is part of hobby lobby pr" statement. -M

lol. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    That's why I respect David Green so much. He donates millions each year to different charities, and about the only way you find out about it is by word of mouth. He doesn't want the recognition, and he always gives God the glory, so I would say that he is on the right track.

Yes, he mainly gives to Christian organizations, but there is nothing wrong with that. Look at all the major corporations that give tons of money to the secular organizations. He just chooses to give to Christian organizations, and that's why I believe that he has been blessed with so much. God blesses a cheerful giver.

Plus, his stores are all closed on Sundays, and as you can very well see, it hasn't hurt his business any. He is an example that many CEO's should follow.
    I have to agree with Keith here. I actually used to work for the Green family and know them first hand. The Green family is totally sold out to God and have their priorities in line from a TRUE Christian standpoint. As others have noted, the Green's give wrecklessly (many would see as a not so smart financial move to one's portfolio), however they take the God approach, which I believe is the best approach. How many major corporations are in serious debt? Most. Hobby Lobby is a privately owned firm to my knowledge with no known debt. As Keith said, closing on Sundays hasn't hurt him or his company. Could he have made a few extra bucks buy selling out his morals, probably, but that's it, he didn't sell out his morals to make a quick buck. I wish more companies would close on Sundays. Whether a person believes in God or not, we all need a day of rest from our hectic modern lives. What good is money when you're dead anyways.

I know the Green's, his son Mart (founder of Mardel's) focuses heavily on donating millions each year to help translate the bible into other languages and to distribute free bibles globally. I've been to Mart's house several times and been by David's as well. Mart's house is definitely nice but in no means palacial. It's about 4,000-5,000 square feet in an older, nicer subdivision in Bethany/West OKC area. No different and less expensive than many Edmonites. I'd say his house is around $300K. They also donate to many other Chrisitian based charitable causes as others have said. I in no way question their charity and integrity. I have however pondered why they aren't more involved with "The Arts and Civic projects" as I think the thread was originally designed to hint at. I'm all for that. But I think it's noble and humble not to have to be honored with every donation ala Boone Pickens, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Mart (founder of Mardel's) focuses heavily on donating millions each year to help translate the bible into other languages and to distribute free bibles globally
    I'd like to teach the world to sing
    In perfect harmony
    I'd like to buy the world a Coke
    And keep it company
    That's the real thing.

Thread Information