Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Headquarters

Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Copout response to what? All l said was that it would seem logical salaries and benefits in DFW would be higher due to massive competition. What's there to cop out to?
    The cop out is from providing a number. I had asked what a reasonable starting salary in DFW looks like and your answer was "Talk to HR" as opposed to providing a data point around which a discussion can be focused. This argument from my side is stemming from a conversation topic where many keep arguing that Paycom does not pay well but nobody is saying what pay well means.

Multiple Locations Re: Paycom Headquaters

I don’t know why anyone would complain about a OKC based headquarters company. This is exactly what the anti oil crowd wants as a hedge against oil prices falling. It may not be perfect but is a great fit here. It maximizes the lower cost of labor and gives new young grads a great start in the working world. Even non grads can find work. Its not a polluting type company. Not every job can be $100k or more. If one thinks about it their competition is “mature” where the costs are much higher. This gives Paycom ability to grow and take market share. We should all be happy to have a home grown company headquarters like this here.

3. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    The cop out is from providing a number. I had asked what a reasonable starting salary in DFW looks like and your answer was "Talk to HR" as opposed to providing a data point around which a discussion can be focused. This argument from my side is stemming from a conversation topic where many keep arguing that Paycom does not pay well but nobody is saying what pay well means.
    First and formost lm not arguing anything here. I simply made an observation.
    Pay is a field in and of itself and 3 dimensional moving science. Depends on the location, the industry, supply and demand for workers and the time period being considered. DFW is absolutely booming with totally diverse new business, many small and some colossal (such as Toyota, 2 -3 different national insurance companies, Chase, Schwab and many, many others. I am not answering your question because I'm not a payroll expert, in that field of business or located in DFW anymore to know the true cost of living. I dont answer legal questions because lm not a lawyer. I'm not an engineer either so l`m not going to question the flyability of the 737-Max. I could venture a complete throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks guess based on Denver but Denver is a lot more expensive than DFW so my guess would be of no use. - which is why l said "talk to HR." Capice? Move on.

4. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's even a great benefits package. I just think that in all fairness, the discussion outside of Paycom seems to revolve a bit more around reputation than reality. It's clearly a benefit offering built for the young single individual. The target employee demographic has shifted and it's not easy to make a sudden change to those offerings. Improvements will either be made or turnover will get worse and the prospective applicant pool will continue to shrink due to reputation. I'm sure this is why an increased focus has been made on expanding operations in DFW.

I do think maternity and child care is the next area they're going to need to focus on improving as far as benefits are concerned.
    So turnover is only an issue for them if they are trying to retain talent. To be frank, it feels like their target audience for recruiting is that 1st job out of college person. Work them hard and squeeze all you can out of them before they have the experience to get on somewhere else. Personally, i feel like the way they treat their employees is a prime example of what's wrong with corporate America today. But they, like a lot of corporations, dont have anything pushing back against them, so they keep doing it. They woo people with their gym/coffee/lunch/etc...the kind of crap millennials think is important and cool with a job. Only after they work a while, do they realize how UN-important and meaningless those things are and how working 60+ hours a week isn't worth it.

Will it catch up with them? Who knows. But i can't say that i've ever talked to someone that ever worked at Paycomm, and enjoyed it or stayed for any length of time. Those two things probably go together, im sure.

I'm all for diversifying the economy and i'm very happy Paycom can be there. I just wish they (and so many other companies) would invest in their employees more and spend less time focussing on their investor earnings. Same old argument we've had in the world since the dawn of wealth, I guess. The wealthy walking on the workers that got them the wealth they had.

I wonder what would happen if a certain percentage of profit was required by law to be returned to the employee either in benefits or pay.......On second thought, they would just find some loophole to reduce standard wages/benefits. The old politicians budget shuffle.

Back to the Paycom traffic issue, there were survey crews out last Friday doing work along Memorial, on the north side, west of Rockwell, between the intersection and the Paycom entrance. Not sure if this is related to Paycom or development on that empty NW corner.

They are expecting to have the traffic light operational by the end of the week at NW 143rd and Rockwell.

That's a lot of land they could expand on if they so choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    That's a lot of land they could expand on if they so choose to.
    They don’t own the land to the east (that big section next to Memorial). Unless they buy it they can only go back. My understanding is due to flight path of Wiley Post they can’t go up. They do own the tree filled land to the west to Council but it has a creek going through. And I think they want to keep it nature like. Not 100% sure if they could build on it either.

Blog Entries

It looks like an apartment complex. I hope that's what they were going for.

Looking back across the years in this thread, many of the earlier questions involved WHY a company would locate way out where they did. It seems their expansion explains that, perhaps. I'm not jumping into the urban/suburban debate, but it would have been a challenge to expand as they have, had they located in the OKC core.
    I know some have said they didn't envision the breadth of expansion, but still...

Also, and this is a genuine question, having worked recently in HR, it seems there's a significant portion of the workforce that prefers to move around, and it may not signify dissatisfaction with a particular employer (sorry if this is off topic). I realize income and benefits are significant, but we've recently seen that retaining new hires for a long time may not be feasible, and its not clear why....
    Last edited by wunderkind; 05-27-2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    My understanding is due to flight path of Wiley Post they can’t go up.
    I'm not questioning your understanding but that doesn't make sense. The north end of the runway at Wiley Post is more than 4 miles south of Paycom. It's no longer used for commercial flights so why would such a restriction exist?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It looks like an apartment complex. I hope that's what they were going for.
    I think this is a joke, but just in case someone reads this and doesn't realize that, the buildings in the foreground of the picture are apartments and the Paycom campus is in the background.

I think this is a joke, but just in case someone reads this and doesn't realize that, the buildings in the foreground of the picture are apartments and the Paycom campus is in the background.
    I believe the intention of the photo was to show the completed new entrance to Paycom HQ from Rockwell, on the land they recently acquired from Westminster Presbyterian Church, which owns the land to the north.

The complex in the foreground is an apartment, not Paycom.

Little known fact that big chunk of land was going to be a Warren Theater. In 2007 they had a sign up coming soon. When the economy tanked in 2008 the sign came down.

Was just about to post the same thing. The level of sarcasm on this forum is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
    Also, and this is a genuine question, having worked recently in HR, it seems there's a significant portion of the workforce that prefers to move around, and it may not signify dissatisfaction with a particular employer (sorry if this is off topic). I realize income and benefits are significant, but we've recently seen that retaining new hires for a long time may not be feasible, and its not clear why....
    Particularly in IT, the days of "working your way up" are pretty much over. If you want to make significant strides in your career, you have to move around. Having lived through several workforce reduction events, it is 100% better for both you and your employer for you to make a pro-active career move than to be let go.

18. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

For IT (my field) it's about giving the employee a path to advance. If they just sit there at the same level, then why stay? 5 years is a pretty good term these days for IT because of this. If i can go elsewhere in 5 years and get that step up, then what's my motivation to stay?

Companies look at this in one of a couple ways:
    1 - (the more common and more a-holish approach) rotating every 5 years keeps my cost down on longer-term employees and their higher salaries, so this turnover is a good thing. It off-sets the cost of training. Lower salaries mean lower contribution to 401(k), younger employees mean lower health costs too.
    2 - rotating every 5 years means a constant feed of new ideas.
    3 - (the rare one) Experience is gold and retaining that knowledge will save on training and give my products a brain that knows things in and out. Let's do what we can to keep them.

I spent 10 years at one company, but had several opportunities to work up the tree while i was there. I did eventually leave because i couldn't stomach the decisions of the CEO any longer. That ship jumping let me make a leap in position and salary that I woudln't have been able to make if I stayed. I eventually came back when a new position was created and i was then qualified for. So with another return jump, the position was higher again and the salary was something like 25% more than when i had left the company less than 2 years earlier. So for me, it worked out very well so i could go away and get the experience i needed for the next spot.

So i'd agree with Mike_M, companies aren't motivated to retain employees so it's up the employee to look out for rear-end number one. I'd love to see companies reverse that and actually care about their employees again, but it's rare that they do. Long gone are the days where jobs are there for jobs. They're there to make money for the investors....plain and simple.

What I'd love to see is a tax on off-shoring jobs. Make it cost as much as it would to just employ domestically and we'd start seeing a whole different outlook on employees.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Companies look at this in one of a couple ways:
    1 - (the more common and more a-holish approach) rotating every 5 years keeps my cost down on longer-term employees and their higher salaries, so this turnover is a good thing. It off-sets the cost of training. Lower salaries mean lower contribution to 401(k), younger employees mean lower health costs too.
    2 - rotating every 5 years means a constant feed of new ideas.
    3 - (the rare one) Experience is gold and retaining that knowledge will save on training and give my products a brain that knows things in and out. Let's do what we can to keep them.
    I personally feel that both situation 1 and 3 have high potential for toxicity. Zero job security provides undue stress and constant tension. Iron clad job security generally drags the workplace into the stone-age. There is definitely a way to embrace healthy turnover, but that's easier to do in a bigger IT market than Oklahoma.

The new Paycom exit at Rockwell has caused a new gridlock during rush hour on the westbound lanes exiting the turnpike at the Rockwell exit (heading west on memorial). There has been a OKC PD officer at the light manually operating the westbound memorial traffic light but it still is bad. It seems like the east bound light is not synced with the westbound light? Not sure if this is intentional or not but it seems like they should be in sync to let the traffic flow better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traffic rockwell exit.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	362.0 KB 
ID:	15331

The lanes on the bridge get backed up and will block the intersection, the traffic cop changes the light when the left turning from Memorial to Rockwell south fills the bridge lanes. Having the option to green W. Memorial and the south South Rockwell will alleviate this congestion.

Similar issue in the morning but opposite direction. Left turn lane onto W. Memorial gets filled and blocks northbound traffic on Rockwell.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    The new Paycom exit at Rockwell has caused a new gridlock during rush hour on the westbound lanes exiting the turnpike at the Rockwell exit (heading west on memorial). There has been a OKC PD officer at the light manually operating the westbound memorial traffic light but it still is bad. It seems like the east bound light is not synced with the westbound light? Not sure if this is intentional or not but it seems like they should be in sync to let the traffic flow better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traffic rockwell exit.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	362.0 KB 
ID:	15331
    The problem they're not figuring out is left turns on the bridge over Kilpatrick, especially left turns to east bound Memorial

23. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Don't hold your breath on getting traffic control to fix it. Even with the support of a councilmen's office, i've been fighting for lights at 240/Sooner to get in sync for almost 5 years now. They did improve them, but they never did get them synced properly so people dont get a green only for the next to turn red just as the traffic flow gets to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Don't hold your breath on getting traffic control to fix it. Even with the support of a councilmen's office, i've been fighting for lights at 240/Sooner to get in sync for almost 5 years now. They did improve them, but they never did get them synced properly so people dont get a green only for the next to turn red just as the traffic flow gets to it.
    so paycom both a great place to work and a great boss

https://oklahoman.com/article/563441...among-top-ceos

25. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

It's all in who is in the sample set. Im sure they surveyed an appropriate number of current and former employees to get the scientific values.......sarcasm.

Glassdoor, much like Indeed, relies on those that are willing to respond to their survey, which is a very small number.

Thread Information