Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Headquarters

Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I actually think they have security overkill now. I was merely responding to poster who said every car has to stop at the entrance drive gate thus backing up/slowing down traffic entering. The RFID was just a comment on how they could speed it up. It was not meant to be a good fiscal reason or to argue merits of all their security, just throwing a dart how they could speed up traffic flow in morning rush.

The whole complex is a mess road wise because:

- Paycom likely did not foresee this kind of growth

- Paycom was built on a one way road thus creating a traffic funnel

- OKC has spent zero to little expanding Memorial ahead of Paycom/other expansion

- Turnpike exit/entry ramp locations in vicinity

Its criminal that OKC has not expanded Memorial road. Could have done so 3 years ago before the mad rush. Now just imagine the new DeerCrest complex on east side of Rockwell which is not just Wal Mart but a bigger commercial complex with more traffic in an already bad road area. Then at some point the vacant land next to Paycom all the way to Rockwell will likely be developed at some point.

To now go in and expand Memorial just imagine the nightmare construction. Paycom keeps adding jobs and I think is over 3,000 now. And OKC is doing nothing (at least publicly) to ease the pain. The economic ripple from Paycom is huge yet a traffic nightmare.

Maybe OKC should have bought one of those big empty lots and made a huge parking lot for workers and built Streetcar for same workers to ride to work as “last mile” (sarcasm)

The whole Memorial corridor needs a major study to expand Memorial Toad and put Cali Uturns at every over/underpass too. From Council to Western the Memorial road system is a total failure.
    No worries. Didn't really mean to sound like I was debating the use of RFID or anything. Really, if they want to make it like getting into a military base they should build longer drives that can hold more waiting cars.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    They would never do this due to to security. Your method only approves the car not the person.

But maybe they could create an RFID type solution for their personal badges? Put a chip in badge and its associated with badge number. Have an express main entry gate where you just hold your badge up to side window and a scanner registers its valid and opens a gate. Could perfect this so gate stay open but closes if a car is not scanned. Scanner can be back a bit from gate so this allows a better flow without stopping. If a toll gate can read car then same application but would be on the badge instead. Plus HR would be able to go into master database and deactivate badge readers for terminated employees and activate for new ones. Forget your badge? Have to go in other manual line and wait. Lose your badge? HR deactivates plus a $25 charge to reissue.

One flaw: Would have to figure out how to handle multiple poeple in one car though.
    All of this is current state process, except for rather than "main gate" there are three "main gates". And I guess the technology is slightly different in that instead of holding up to your cars side window, you hold it up to a badge scanner. The difference between the two is non-consequential

It turns out that moving more than 1,000 cars in and out of any parking lot/structure at the same time is a recipe for congestion no matter where you're located.

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    I agree, until they put a stop light at 150th and add 2 lanes it will be a disaster. Memorial is still a nightmare too, it's not as bad as it once was, but its certainly not smooth sailing.

I find the security argument to be ridiculous, I have spoken to many Paycom employees about it and its pretty much a consensus that its overkill. I understand the kind of information they have and are in charge of, but right across the street Farmers houses their National Document Center which contains access to all customers information and its nothing like Paycom. Until they decide to make some procedural changes to their shifts and security, the issue will not go away. It will only get worse because they keep hiring and adding more people to the area.
    The security issue is a big part of Paycom's sales model. The reality is that companies are being breached left and right. If Equifax is getting breached and hundreds of millions of people's personal data is being compromised, how much more should businesses be taking security seriously. Sure, it sometimes feels like overkill, but I think it's the responsible approach. And again, while not having any security measures in place might improve the flow of traffic - 1,000+ cars entering/leaving a parking lot at the same time is a congested proposition even if there are no security measures in place.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Could be wrong. but doubt they make every passenger in a car scan their badges at the gate. I'm sure a lot of people car pool....
    Every passenger provides their badge when entering.

In other news, The stock closed over $200.00 today and Paycom is now valued at over $11.5B.

Considering that the stock turned 5 years old this month and was valued at $760M at the IPO, I guess the traffic problems are understandable. Most $500M+ companies don't grow by 1,500% in 5 years.

Blog Entries

^Stock performance has just been incredible. Bought some early on in ‘14 at around $15 and only regret is I should have bought more!

Earnings is next week. I wish I bought more as well. Beating estimates for Q1 may be difficult but PAYC keeps hitting it out of the park.

Blog Entries

Yes, PE is high and have to think there is already a lot of expectation baked in. I’d expect some correction either related to earnings or later Q2. But they just keep on plugging.

Would be fantastic if Paycom actually started paying its employees some fair wages!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Would be fantastic if Paycom actually started paying its employees some fair wages!
    This can be a double edged sword. If they pay more then perhaps they don’t grow as fast nor hire as many workers.

On the flip side they have a young workforce and higher turnover. So its a great first or second job for a lot of employees who gain work experience. Then they move on with that experience to other better playing jobs in the metro. That experience is a plus for the other companies who hire them. So in a small way they are a feeder system for other companies needing experienced workers.

Its not black and white but their growth has been huge and the lower wages have allowed them to be competitive vs competition and keep gaining market share. At a point they will start keeping more and more of the experienced workers and wages will creep up. I’d rather OKC have 3,000 lower wage jobs than 2,000 higher. Its a place for college or even less than college aged workers to get a decent job, and gain experience.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    this is lol paycom pays very well, has great benifits .. and has tons of room for advancement

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is lol paycom pays very well, has great benifits .. and has tons of room for advancement
    Paycom has a pretty average starting salary for a 4 year degree requiring position, the benefits are not great aside from the healthcare for employee only plans, it is $1 a pay period. But as soon as you try to put a child or spouse on that plan you loose that benefit. The PTO is certainly not something I would consider great, its could be a lot worse though. They also have almost zero benefits or assistance for new moms either, in the 3rd trimester you get a preferred parking space, but that is about it.

At this point it is clear that some people on here absolutely love Paycom and some that dont, that is fine, but lets not make it out to be something that its not. They have a very high turnover due to workload and time expectations, with a few procedural changes they could turn that around pretty quickly.

Paycom has a pretty average starting salary for a 4 year degree requiring position, the benefits are not great aside from the healthcare for employee only plans, it is $1 a pay period. But as soon as you try to put a child or spouse on that plan you loose that benefit. The PTO is certainly not something I would consider great, its could be a lot worse though. They also have almost zero benefits or assistance for new moms either, in the 3rd trimester you get a preferred parking space, but that is about it.

At this point it is clear that some people on here absolutely love Paycom and some that dont, that is fine, but lets not make it out to be something that its not. They have a very high turnover due to workload and time expectations, with a few procedural changes they could turn that around pretty quickly.
    Its great out of college and you don't care about work/life balance. My company has hired a handful of former Paycom workers. For an IT company, the pay is just OK.

My wife worked there for 6 months before getting pregnant. She didn't go back because it would have been end of year tax season and would have had to work 50 plus hours a week. I told her she should just quit and be a stay at home mom for awhile.

This question may deserve its own thread, but I'd love to know what other employers in Oklahoma are paying for health insurance. I can tell you that in my position I see a LOT of payroll and though I don't have really any exposure to Oklahoma based companies, adding anyone on but yourself to most employer's plans is a costly endeavor. Not many companies are giving away coverage to their employees if a spouse or kids come into the picture. I think given the percentage of households that have two income earners, the EE coverage at $26/year probably works out great for a lot of families.

The PTO while also not great, is better than a LOT of companies. This is another area that I see a lot of and while Paycom's policy 2 years ago was significantly further behind, it's really designed well around the first years culture of the company -- no sense in handing out a bunch of PTO to employees early on when 1. there is relatively high turnover and 2. it's not a great idea for employees to take too much time off in their 1st year or two anyway. But 20 days vacation, 5 days sick, and 9 holidays (6 company, 3 floating), at the 4 year mark could be a lot worse.

Also, for the 5+ years that Paycom has been building the reputation of providing "sub-par benefits" the stock incentives have probably been life changing for hundreds of people. Considering how easy it would have been to amass 500 shares if you have been at the company since the IPO and you held onto shares, you're likely sitting on somewhere between $50k and $250k of extra wealth due to stock incentives/purchases. Not super helpful to all of the different people who flamed out over the years, or people who, due to lower wages, needed to sell that stock as soon as possible, make no mistake - it has made a huge wealth impact in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    This question may deserve its own thread, but I'd love to know what other employers in Oklahoma are paying for health insurance. I can tell you that in my position I see a LOT of payroll and though I don't have really any exposure to Oklahoma based companies, adding anyone on but yourself to most employer's plans is a costly endeavor. Not many companies are giving away coverage to their employees if a spouse or kids come into the picture. I think given the percentage of households that have two income earners, the EE coverage at $26/year probably works out great for a lot of families.

The PTO while also not great, is better than a LOT of companies. This is another area that I see a lot of and while Paycom's policy 2 years ago was significantly further behind, it's really designed well around the first years culture of the company -- no sense in handing out a bunch of PTO to employees early on when 1. there is relatively high turnover and 2. it's not a great idea for employees to take too much time off in their 1st year or two anyway. But 20 days vacation, 5 days sick, and 9 holidays (6 company, 3 floating), at the 4 year mark could be a lot worse.

Also, for the 5+ years that Paycom has been building the reputation of providing "sub-par benefits" the stock incentives have probably been life changing for hundreds of people. Considering how easy it would have been to amass 500 shares if you have been at the company since the IPO and you held onto shares, you're likely sitting on somewhere between $50k and $250k of extra wealth due to stock incentives/purchases. Not super helpful to all of the different people who flamed out over the years, or people who, due to lower wages, needed to sell that stock as soon as possible, make no mistake - it has made a huge wealth impact in this community.
    My biggest issue with the PTO is that its not enough when you take into consideration the workload and expectations put on entry level positions. A large portion of Paycom's work force work extended hours every day and for a period of the year that can stretch into 7 days a week. When you have people working those hours having a generous PTO plan should be available.

As I have mentioned in this thread before, my wife is a 6 year employee of Paycom so I am not ignorant to the way they work, she knows my stance on them and for the most part agrees that they are behind in certain areas.

When you have a company that bills itself as the It company to work for, you'd expect them to go above and beyond, but Paycom doesn't do that. Take a few minutes and talk to your female coworkers who have had children while employed at Paycom, see how much help they received, its a joke. I stated earlier that they get a preferred parking space at their 3rd trimester, that was a mistake, its actually 36 weeks, otherwise they are stuck walking often from super long distances, this is an example of an antiquated point of view that should exist. I know that Stacy Pezold worked really hard on getting more benifits for expecting families but was stonewalled almost from the get go by the board, this was obviously prior to her leaving.

My biggest issue with the PTO is that its not enough when you take into consideration the workload and expectations put on entry level positions. A large portion of Paycom's work force work extended hours every day and for a period of the year that can stretch into 7 days a week. When you have people working those hours having a generous PTO plan should be available.

As I have mentioned in this thread before, my wife is a 6 year employee of Paycom so I am not ignorant to the way they work, she knows my stance on them and for the most part agrees that they are behind in certain areas.

When you have a company that bills itself as the It company to work for, you'd expect them to go above and beyond, but Paycom doesn't do that. Take a few minutes and talk to your female coworkers who have had children while employed at Paycom, see how much help they received, its a joke. I stated earlier that they get a preferred parking space at their 3rd trimester, that was a mistake, its actually 36 weeks, otherwise they are stuck walking often from super long distances, this is an example of an antiquated point of view that should exist. I know that Stacy Pezold worked really hard on getting more benifits for expecting families but was stonewalled almost from the get go by the board, this was obviously prior to her leaving.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's even a great benefits package. I just think that in all fairness, the discussion outside of Paycom seems to revolve a bit more around reputation than reality. It's clearly a benefit offering built for the young single individual. The target employee demographic has shifted and it's not easy to make a sudden change to those offerings. Improvements will either be made or turnover will get worse and the prospective applicant pool will continue to shrink due to reputation. I'm sure this is why an increased focus has been made on expanding operations in DFW.

I do think maternity and child care is the next area they're going to need to focus on improving as far as benefits are concerned.

15. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Seems in DFW, the vast level of competition would require they offer and pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Seems in DFW, the vast level of competition would require they offer and pay more.
    What is a respectable minimum starting salary to compete in DFW?

17. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Talk to HR.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Talk to HR.
    Seems like a cop out response. It should be pretty easy to put a specific number out there. Is it $45k/year, $55k/year, $75k/year?

What is a respectable minimum starting salary to compete in DFW?
    Just doing quick research and Grapevine is about 44% higher than OKC. The entire area around Grapevine is pretty expensive.

So what's a respectable starting salary in Oklahoma City? We'll take x and multiple it by 1.44 and we can have an idea of what Paycom will need to meet.

I feel like most routine entry level people in Paycom are probably entering at between $40k and $45k and depending on what role you're in at the three month mark you should be grossing around $50k then between 12 and 18 months you'll be $60k - $70k.

I mean, it's not great, but are those types of jobs going unfilled and getting quickly turned-over in Dallas because it's such low pay?

So what's a respectable starting salary in Oklahoma City? We'll take x and multiple it by 1.44 and we can have an idea of what Paycom will need to meet.

I feel like most routine entry level people in Paycom are probably entering at between $40k and $45k and depending on what role you're in at the three month mark you should be grossing around $50k then between 12 and 18 months you'll be $60k - $70k.

I mean, it's not great, but are those types of jobs going unfilled and getting quickly turned-over in Dallas because it's such low pay?
    Wow, Paycom must be a fantastic place to work - I have *never* seen anybody (regular workers, not execs) at any place I've worked (a dozen, maybe) over the past 40 years get a $20K-30K raise in 12-18 months (for reference I'm a UNIX systems admin, been one (that and mainframe) for 30+ years). If I got raises (which didn't always happen), it was 1-3% per year, which was pretty standard across the board for people doing my kind of work, from what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Wow, Paycom must be a fantastic place to work - I have *never* seen anybody (regular workers, not execs) at any place I've worked (a dozen, maybe) over the past 40 years get a $20K-30K raise in 12-18 months (for reference I'm a UNIX systems admin, been one (that and mainframe) for 30+ years). If I got raises (which didn't always happen), it was 1-3% per year, which was pretty standard across the board for people doing my kind of work, from what I saw.
    As noted by many - you work for that money. Nobody is putting in 40 hours a week and there are some positions that have you working 50 hours/week pretty soon after training, but the lower front end pay probably helps weed out people not into long hours. In fact, a year and half ago, most of the starting salaries were in the low 30s before the jump to the 50k range about 2 years in, I would imagine that was raised as many were flaming out and the reputation was starting to take hold.

And I should note that when I say entry level that's entry level with degree, as opposed to truly entry level positions (obviously receptionists are not grossing $50k/year).

I haven't seen numbers like that, especially in the tech field, that didn't involve leaving for another company.

24. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

Seems like a cop out response. It should be pretty easy to put a specific number out there. Is it $45k/year, $55k/year, $75k/year?
    Copout response to what? All l said was that it would seem logical salaries and benefits in DFW would be higher due to massive competition. What's there to cop out to?

As noted by many - you work for that money. Nobody is putting in 40 hours a week and there are some positions that have you working 50 hours/week pretty soon after training, but the lower front end pay probably helps weed out people not into long hours. In fact, a year and half ago, most of the starting salaries were in the low 30s before the jump to the 50k range about 2 years in, I would imagine that was raised as many were flaming out and the reputation was starting to take hold.

And I should note that when I say entry level that's entry level with degree, as opposed to truly entry level positions (obviously receptionists are not grossing $50k/year).
    Um duh? That’s why it’s called work everyone

This isn’t that complicated.

If you want to work your a** off. And I mean work your a** off, help grow a company and capture a chunk of the company’s growth, (I know of at least 15 people who have over 100k in paycom stock because of their tremendous stock options and growth) and get to 6 figures in under 5 years, paycom is the place for you. Work/life balance isn’t a thing. If you want to make money go to paycom.

If all the other parts of a job are more important to you paycom isn’t going to be a fit.

There aren’t a lot of companies that can offer paycom’s grow with the company through stock options opportunity. It’s quietly made a lot of people in this city incredibly wealthy. And with payroll processing and compliance only continuing to grow in complexity, the stock has a ton of room to keep running.

Thread Information