Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Headquarters

Default Re: Paycom Headquaters: Memorial & Council

As much as I love to see downtown grow, I don't think everything should relocate there. It's already a traffic nightmare as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rkjg24 View Post
    As much as I love to see downtown grow, I don't think everything should relocate there. It's already a traffic nightmare as it is.
    ????? rkjg have you ever driven in Dallas, Houston, LA, or Atlanta during rush hour. We don't have any traffic nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    Hey at least they aren't moving OUT of OKC!!!
    They are owned by venture capitalists in NJ. Don't be surprised to see them gobbled up by a larger company in the next 3 years...

It's already a traffic nightmare as it is.
    I'd much rather drive downtown, than on Memorial any day.

And I'll drive Memorial or NW Expressway over DT any day...

MadMonk Guest

In order of preference:
    Memorial
    NW Expressway
    Downtown

But none of these are that bad compared to some place like Dallas, or Charlotte.

Right you are. Every time I went down to Dallas, always glad to return to our version of rush hour (where it fairly closely matches that by definition). just avoid the 7 to 8 am & 5 to 6 pm periods and you are fine.

MadMonk Guest

I was once in NW Dallas for a training class and left at 3:00pm on a Friday before Labor day to drive back to OK. It took me 3 hours just to get to Denton. I thought there must have been a huge pileup or something, but no, it was just traffic. That's an extreme example, but you would never see something like that here (and I hope we never do).

How right you are, that has been my experience too.

Paycom reported to the OKC Economic Development Trust that they added 110 new positions in OKC last year at an average pay rate of around $38K per year.

The Chamber only lists local employers that have over 1,000 OKC employees and Paycom wasn't on the last list, but they must be getting close.

That article says Paycom currently employs 390 in OKC and plans to add 667 more jobs in the next five years.

They plan to build another office building right next to the one they completed last year.

HangryHippo Guest

I'll go ahead and say it: I wish Paycom would rent space downtown. Yet another building off Memorial just sucks.

Paycom's current building was built to support 500 employees, so if they are looking to add another 700 or so in next few years, I would suspect the next building be the same size if not larger. But too bad they are hooked to the Memorial office corridor. 1,200 employees would have made a nice 30 story tower downtown...but all companies can't be downtown...our office market needs to be diversified across the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I'll go ahead and say it: I wish Paycom would rent space downtown. Yet another building off Memorial just sucks.
    I am glad some one said it. Alas, this yet another example of the city subsidizing sprawl and all the problems that come with it. We don't have enough water now so watering another few acres of landscaping is not going to help. And with nearly 2,000 new car trips per day from these employees traffic will get just a little worse.

Lol... you guys are amazing... I guess parking lots are better than yards to you. I'm sure it comes as a HUGE shock to some of you, but a lot of people live in Oklahoma because we actually have the room for things like yards. When I visited my friends that live in downtown DC, I COULDN'T WAIT TO COME HOME and actually see something green and some open spaces.

Again, not everything needs to be some concrete urban cluster of people on top of people. The one thing we have that places like New York and Tokyo don't is the room to not live on top of each other - AND most of us like it that way. Why is this concept so difficult for some of you to understand? And, that's not a rhetorical question... I really want to know why that is so difficult for you to understand.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Lol... you guys are amazing... I guess parking lots are better than yards to you. I'm sure it comes as a HUGE shock to some of you, but a lot of people live in Oklahoma because we actually have the room for things like yards. When I visited my friends that live in downtown DC, I COULDN'T WAIT TO COME HOME and actually see something green and some open spaces.

Again, not everything needs to be some concrete urban cluster of people on top of people. The one thing we have that places like New York and Tokyo don't is the room to not live on top of each other - AND most of us like it that way. Why is this concept so difficult for some of you to understand? And, that's not a rhetorical question... I really want to know why that is so difficult for you to understand.
    No need to be such an obtuse ass. No one said that the only two options are green yards or acres of parking lots, but thanks for your dramatic retort. If someone here posts about wanting sustainable growth in the core as opposed to yet another addition in a suburban office park, there you are to point out that Oklahomans only live here for yards and endless open spaces. Not everyone wants that either.

We don't know what Okahomans want because for the most part they don't have a choice. For 99.99% of the population their only choice is between suburban apartments and suburban homes. I suspect given a choice though, the vast majority of people would prefer to be within walking distance of most daily necessities (including work). Certainly the first and second generation Oklahomas prefered it that way and high density urban housing fills up as fast as it can be built at rates well above city averages. That tells me demand for urban housing is higher than demand for suburban housing.

19. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters: Memorial & Council

It is OKAY that there are other pockets of development that aren't in downtown. Not everyone wants the downtown urban experience. Plus paycom is investing here and adding jobs, who wouldn't be happy about that? (this is coming from someone who lives in edgemere park)

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    We don't know what Okahomans want because for the most part they don't have a choice. For 99.99% of the population their only choice is between suburban apartments and suburban homes. I suspect given a choice though, the vast majority of people would prefer to be within walking distance of most daily necessities (including work). Certainly the first and second generation Oklahomas prefered it that way and high density urban housing fills up as fast as it can be built at rates well above city averages. That tells me demand for urban housing is higher than demand for suburban housing.
    The fallacy of your conclusion is in the implicit association that the people's desire to be in "walking distance to necessities" is necessarily and exclusively satisfied by the concrete jungle in which you wish to imprison them in the name of "sustainability." I'm in a suburb, and I'm within walking distance to a beautiful new grocery store, a church (although its not of my faith), sandwich shop, a fully equipped gym and pool facility, along with a park and summer swimming facility. And, guess what - I don't WANT to live six inches from the front door of my employer, as I'd rather not manufacture the impression I'm that available when I'm not at work merely by virtue of my convenient proximity.

And considering that my neighborhood has been around for 15-20 years, is 100% built up, and is still extremely well maintained, its a manifest demonstration that while people do enjoy the convenience of walking-distance resources, the urban jungle is quite obviously not the only way to provide it.

Are these not call center type jobs? If so, its unreasonable to expect them to have 700 employees in a downtown office. And its unreasonable to just assume that paycom can afford to lease downtown space for that many employees let alone building a tower. Sure Id prefer a company to office downtown rather than far NW OKC but it doesnt always work for certain companies.

Or I guess we could give them a few million ala OPUBCO and get them downtown....

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Are these not call center type jobs? If so, its unreasonable to expect them to have 700 employees in a downtown office. And its unreasonable to just assume that paycom can afford to lease downtown space for that many employees let alone building a tower. Sure Id prefer a company to office downtown rather than far NW OKC but it doesnt always work for certain companies.

Or I guess we could give them a few million ala OPUBCO and get them downtown....
    The fallacy in your last statement is that the City IS giving PayCom a few million...

On second thought - never mind. This post was going to take us way to far off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    No need to be such an obtuse ass. No one said that the only two options are green yards or acres of parking lots, but thanks for your dramatic retort. If someone here posts about wanting sustainable growth in the core as opposed to yet another addition in a suburban office park, there you are to point out that Oklahomans only live here for yards and endless open spaces. Not everyone wants that either.
    Well, maybe having to read things on this board that Choctaw should be developing an urbanscape instead of a large grocery store with a parking lot on site has me trigger happy. But, to be honest, it's like a broken record. Whenever there is mention of any business or something developing somewhere other than downtown it's automatically an instant complaint about sprawl and a condescending attitude that if it's not downtown and goes upwards it's somehow a blight to our community.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    No, actually.... people that live here know what Oklahomans want. The reason homes and neighborhoods are developed the way they are isn't because businesss owners decided to make the decisions for us.... it's done the way that they know will be successful. And, your assumption that the "vast majority" would want to live in walking distance from all their needs is not only laughable, but actually an absolute insult. I can promise you have no clue what Oklahomans really want. You have some very strong feelings about what you THINK we should want if we knew any better... But, the fact is we aren't all trapped here and only live in cookie cutter homes in tract neighborhoods that are force fed to us and live lives as sorry sacks because we just aren't urban enough. In fact, you don't even LIVE HERE. How on earth can you make any assumption about how Oklahomans want to live when you don't even talk to Oklahomans on a daily basis? It's absolutely stunning how ridiculous you sound.

You want to hear something amazing? I have a 45 minute commute to work. And I LOVE IT. I embrace it. And, the insinuation that I am somehow "doing it wrong" because you think I should be walking to work is what makes me comment to you in this way. Yes, I think we should have more urban spaces and development here... because we do lack the options in many ways. And, I think diversity is a good thing and we should embrace that. But, that's far removed from killing our current suburban lifestyles because you and a few urbanists think that it's the wrong way to live.

I can think of few things I would hate more than having to drive into downtown to go to work every day. And, despite your assumptions from afar, most Oklahomans feel the same way I do. That's just the way it is. Sure there is some demand for downtown urban living... Hell, I'm 39 and divorced and I'm thinking pretty hard about moving to somewhere in the Deep Deuce/Midtown area soon. I would only move down there because I feel that as a single person I am far removed from the "scene" as it were... but, if I had a family I most definitely would not want to live anywhere near those areas. And, when I'm a little older I will surely be looking back to the suburbs for a nice quiet place in the grass that's a decent drive to my work. And, again, most Oklahomans feel the same way. Despite how it pains you, it's just the way it is.

Wow WichitaSooner - that is the most violent I have ever seen someone agree with me.

Thread Information