Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Frontier City

Default Re: Frontier City

wowwwwww they are really increasing the price for two park season pass next year. Their sale price for the next 4 days is $65 dollars and after that the original price is $225? um what, it says season pass for frontier city can be used at any sixflaggs parks but i dont want to drive to other parks smh!!!!!! https://www.sixflags.com/frontiercity/store/flash-sale

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    wowwwwww they are really increasing the price for two park season pass next year. Their sale price for the next 4 days is $65 dollars and after that the original price is $225? um what, it says season pass for frontier city can be used at any sixflaggs parks but i dont want to drive to other parks smh!!!!!! https://www.sixflags.com/frontiercity/store/flash-sale
    That $225 price is adding up all the benefits they have in their Gold Pass and Gold Plush Membership. That is what you would pay if you bought all the offered items a-la-carte. Thats the Pass and Parking and other items.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    That $225 price is adding up all the benefits they have in their Gold Pass and Gold Plush Membership. That is what you would pay if you bought all the offered items a-la-carte. Thats the Pass and Parking and other items.
    I was wondering how they got to that number. Six Flags passes usually aren't that expensive ~$80, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    They know kids are the money makers. The kids want to go, the parents spend money to take them to the park. Not many adults just go to theme parks (unless there is a concert) by themselves anymore. Nowhere, not just here.
    I go to theme parks all the time without kids in tow. When we lived in Cincinnati, we went to King's Island at least twice a week. First year we moved here, we got a FC season pass and only went once (went to WWB a few times, though). Now that DD is 2, we've gone out to FC 6 or so times this year. It is actually pretty good for her, but they have a long way to go before they are going to attract adults or older teens.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    I'm a late 20's professional myself, and most of my vacations involve jetting off to another city to ride their roller coasters. I don't think we're exactly a demographic that really show's up on Six Flag's radar though. With families, especially young families, you are all but guaranteed to get a lot of food/drink sales. Kids are the ones that play those over priced games and want the stupid crap in the gift shops bought for them. Us coaster enthusiasts just come for the coasters and then leave. There are a few parks that cater specifically to the older thrill-seeking demographic, but they are typically in high traffic areas like LA.

This addition for FC is fantastic for them. It's much more than I thought they would get. While it doesn't do anything for me, I think it will lead to a decent numbers boost for them - both profit and attendance. That will hopefully lead to the next big ride investment. Rumors are starting that Wildcat and the Go-karts are the site of the next big thing. Perhaps a new wooden coaster for 2020? That would be amazing.
    Not that the Wildcat is amazing, but unless it is replaced with a truly top 50 coaster they would be really stupid to replace it. It is the best adult ride in the park (IMHO, which isn't saying much). But if you replace your best ride with a slightly less mediocre ride, I doubt you'd get much of a long term bump. If they are bringing in a Gravity Group coaster, then have at it.

One thing about demographics. At the big coaster parks, you see a lot older families at them, where places like FC you see mostly younger families or dropped off young teens. Families spend a lot more money than dropped off teens.

Default Re: Frontier City up for sale?

The sale on season passes was so popular the Six Flags Website Crashed this week. So they extended their Flash Sale to the 9th.

I know people around here have their caution flag up this time around with Six Flags. Just because the history with Frontier City was not the greatest when Six Flags owned Frontier City. The park at the time was known as the forgotten park in the chain. It got the hand me downs from other parks. It wasn't well maintained for a period of time. People around here and Coaster/Theme Park enthusiast groups now feel that nothing will change for this park that it will become the forgotten park.
    There is some factors to consider this time around. One the park is still owned by EPR out of Kansas City the same company that owns Top Golf Chain, and they are a majority owners of the Schlitterbahn Resorts Chain. They are a very large entertainment company. Besides the two local parks they also own Darien Lake, Magic Springs, Wild Waves Themepark and some of the Wet N' Wild Water Parks. They are a large entertainment company. Another factor this time around Six Flags is a different company then the one that went bankrupt in 2006 and is a much larger and more established company then the old company. The new Six Flags company knows that 2006 Oklahoma City is alot different then 2018 Oklahoma City. Today as you know Oklahoma City is much better then it was back in 2006. Six Flags knows this and I have a feeling this time around the park will be much better taken care of then it was 13 years ago.

Six Flags has made a commitment to add a new attraction to each and everyone of their parks each year. So yes you can expect something from them each year. New attractions can be a new event, A new ride, A new show even a new eating venue. Something will be added each year. I learned that there was plans to put in a major attraction this past year from the old management company. That changed when Six Flag came in and saw how the kids area has not been touched since 1997. It has little minor refreshes but not a complete overhaul. This new addition is a complete make over of the kids area. Some of the attractions will be removed like Wild Kitty. Which frankly is a very painful kiddie coaster too ride. They are getting A brand spanking new coaster to replace Wild Kitty. A Jr. coaster that families can ride together. The other brand spanking new ride you saw in their press release the Frog Hopper ride. There is two rides in their press release which will be rides relocated from other Six Flag Parks. The airplanes which I assume will replace the Dragons. The airplanes is a ride adults can ride with their Kids. Right now the Dragons are too small for parents to ride with their kids. The Cado Lake Barge from Six Flags Over Texas also will be relocated to Frontier City. I go to Over Texas quite a bit in a year and have ridden that ride. The ride is actually a pretty fun family ride. Some of the other attractions in the area will be getting a complete makeover so the area will look completely different fresh and brand new. Six Flags is dropping a lot of money into this addition. I know it's not spectacular and what enthusiast and older locals want too see. But hey the park is still getting a brand new roller coaster. LOL kidding aside it will look nice. I'm sure Six Flags will eventually add a more Thrilling experience next year. I have contacted them and they informed me about their season survey when it comes out later this season. They do take those surveys into consideration when deciding on new attractions for their parks.

Now as for the flash sale myself purchased the membership. I chose that because I visit a multiple Six Flag parks in a season. I go too Frontier City almost every week. Six Flags Over Texas between 4-6 times in a year. Fiesta Texas and St. Louis at least one time in a year. Fiesta Texas is now open year around even in the months of January and February when all the other parks are closed in the company. So for me I opted into the membership with the Premium dining plan. My feelings is that Six Flags will do a better job at managing this park then it did the last time it managed the park.

Frontier City is running the fright sale for season tickets until 28 Oct. The cost is 66.99 if you buy 4 or more (78.99 for three or less) and includes the "gold" upgrade which is a pass to white water bay and six flags over Texas, plus free parking. The cost of parking alone is worth it. You have to redeem the vouchers by 28 Oct at Frontier City.

https://www.sixflags.com/frontiercit.../season-passes

First ever Holiday in the Park update: The passholder announcements came out today in an email. I'm more excited for Holiday in the park. This past summer I was talking with one of the managers about the Christmas event. During that time I was told Wildcat Silver Bullet, and Tumbleweed would be closed during the holiday event. The email I received today says Wildcat will be open for Holiday in the park. This coaster is dynamic at night. One of the best night riding coasters. Also in those announcements they stated the parks historic main street will be a show in itself. There will be a 50 foot (5 story) Christmas Tree. That will have it's own show that will be choreographed with the lights on Main Street for the tree lighting. They are inviting church and civic groups to perform throughout the park. Also they released some of the seasonal food offerings. Like Hot bread bowls Chili etc. Seasonal treats From special funnel cakes, Holiday Cookies, Candy Apples, roasted nuts and Peppermint Fudge. Santa's village etc. most offering you find at other Six Flag Holiday in the Park events around the country. Like the s'mores and Hot Chocolate. Can you imagine flying over the 5 story Christmas Tree on Soaring Eagle. Flying over the Christmas Lights. no information on the shows. I did here from significant sources that they will have a Christmas theme magic show. That there may be a Christmas Themed gunfight show. I'm getting excited to see what this park looks like for Christmas. It's a smallpark so won't take millions and millions of lights to make an impact. After reading that pass holder email I'm excited to check out this event. Will post photos of my visit.

Frontier City this off season has changed completely since it now in the Six Flags Family. EVERY square inch of the park was touched in the off season. EVERY square inch. Rides systems have gotten upgrades and refreshes. The Tilt A Whirl looks like a brand new model. The park entry has been completely changed with a more Six Flags type of security entrance. The new entrance has a separate membership entry. Premium parking has been added to the park. Benefit that can be used with the upper level memberships. The new membership program for season passes has different levels get you different benefits. The park has been cleaned up and the shows sound systems as around the park have been upgraded. Also the all new Timber town is looking SHARP!! The area is not cheaply done. Plus alot of interactive theme-ing elements been added through out the park. Like Uncle Bart in the Talking Outhouse. There is a fast pass system now added to the park for the busy days which I expect more with this new membership program added to the park. The Fast Pass system is the "Go Fast Pass" . The past few weekend the crowds have been pretty hefty I feel it is because of this new Membership program. I opted into the Diamond Elite I go to Over Texas 3 or four times in a year and Fiesta Texas or St. Louis at least once year. The membership like the season pass can be used at all Six Flag Theme Parks. Wish there was a way to add multiple photos the park looks amazing . I think I'm on board with Six Flags returning to the Oklahoma park. I had my doubts but after visiting this park I was amazed the time and money they spent in the park this off season. Now if they added a decent Thrill ride or a Roller Coaster to the park in the next couple of years all my doubts will completely vanish. I'm actually pretty impressed with Six Flags. They care about this park this time around. I do frequent this park because it the only full fledged theme park in Oklahoma. I know it's small and not regional but getting a pass or membership to this park gets you free admission and parking to every single Six Flags park. Being a theme park fan it works for me. I'm in a couple of regional Facebook Themepark Clubs Oklahoma Coaster Club and Texas Thrill Seekers. Which is having an event this coming Saturday at the park. Where the group gets to tour the haunted house, The parks Boneyard, Free rides on the Zip Line before the park opens and Extended Ride time on the park coasters for one hour after the park closes. you have to sign up on the Texas Thrill Seekers FB page by tonight's deadline 4/24/2019 if you are interested in the event. A lot of themepark history in that park. It is a pioneer for the modern day theme parks you see today.

Very happy to read that! I will be checking this place out next time I’m in town.

Glad to hear. I was wondering since they had one of the new kiddie rides sitting in the parking lot until a few days before they opened.

I don't really like the whole splitting of "members" and season pass holders.

I haven't gotten out there yet this year due to conflicts, but hoping to soon.

Blog Entries

I wonder why this didn't happen the first time around with six flags

I just looked at the single day prices. Man, that is really steep for what FC is and at least how poorly it has been operated in the past. I'm glad we have it vs. nothing and I go a decent amount, but $40/day + 18.50 parking if bought online is a lot for what this park has to offer. That is the same price as Worlds of Fun and they have significantly better rides and operation.

I haven't been this year yet so hopefully they have massively improved the ride ops, but based on how Six Flags Georgia was last year when I went I am not counting on it.

Key question from my wife...were there any improvements to the bathrooms. She said In the past they were dirty and gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I just looked at the single day prices. Man, that is really steep for what FC is and at least how poorly it has been operated in the past. I'm glad we have it vs. nothing and I go a decent amount, but $40/day + 18.50 parking if bought online is a lot for what this park has to offer. That is the same price as Worlds of Fun and they have significantly better rides and operation.

I haven't been this year yet so hopefully they have massively improved the ride ops, but based on how Six Flags Georgia was last year when I went I am not counting on it.
    I remember Frontier City being more than Six Flags Arlington consistently between 2000 - 2010 when I was going to theme parks more frequently, not sure if that is still the case.

Isn’t there usually a perpetual deal somewhere for Frontier City?

The idea is to make you want to buy the season pass then they will try to get you with concessions. The gold season pass is good for admission and parking at all Six Flags parks so that makes it more economical.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I wonder why this didn't happen the first time around with six flags
    Six Flags today is actually a different company. They went through a bankruptcy and reorganized. Different leadership and management focus now. Lots of history with the SF company if you care to go down the wormhole.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba;
    WOF is running a promotion right now, that's why tickets are so cheap. They've had a ton of bad publicity in recent years, and a massive fight had to be broken up at the park already this year... that park is struggling. FC may not have the bigger coasters, but it is probably a much better park all-around than WOF. Operations are often horrid at WOF, Plus, prices are deceiving online since they add a ton of fees.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The idea is to make you want to buy the season pass then they will try to get you with concessions. The gold season pass is good for admission and parking at all Six Flags parks so that makes it more economical.
    I know that is the goal, but I don't think any amusement parks can live off just their season pass holders. I have a season pass, but at the new prices none of my family or friends are going to want to come out. I haven't checked WWB's prices yet, but my in-laws almost always joins for a day out there but won't drop $45ea for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    WOF is running a promotion right now, that's why tickets are so cheap. They've had a ton of bad publicity in recent years, and a massive fight had to be broken up at the park already this year... that park is struggling. FC may not have the bigger coasters, but it is probably a much better park all-around than WOF. Operations are often horrid at WOF, Plus, prices are deceiving online since they add a ton of fees.
    Even their middle of summer prices are only $46 and Kings Island which absolutely blows FC away in every way is only $49-52. I picked WOF because it was the closest none-SF park.

I don't know how anyone would think FC was a better park than WOF in any category. Even if you threw out coasters, WOF has far more thrill rides and kids rides and they are all better examples of the rides too. They also have the water park. WOF isn't the best operated park, but I had to leave FC multiple times last year because of how poorly they were operating rides and I got to my frustration point (for example, waiting 30 minutes to ride Wild Kitty with my 2 year-old when I was only 10 people back when I got in line).

I am glad we have FC, and I go many times a year, but it is not a good park compared to just about any other park in the country (I've been to over 35 and have had season passes to Cedar Fair, Disney and Six Flags parks in the past). It is hampered by having some of the worst examples of each type of ride they have and horribly slow/poor operations. I can still have plenty of fun on their rides, but can't stand the operations and really hope that gets improved.

I made it out there on Saturday for the first time this year.

Probably the busiest I've ever seen the parking lot, we had to park in the grass out front and by the time we left it was almost full. There were also at least 40 school buses there with middle school band and choir students.

First, I was impressed with all the work that happened over the break. The security is 10x better than last year. They also had every toll window and entry gate open, which I never saw last year. They moved the season pass area into the main gift shop and made it much bigger and actually had multiple employees working it. They did a lot of work around the park including replacing fences, decks, etc and painting a lot. Definitely the best the park has looked in a while.

The new kiddie area looks nice, but they only have one of the three new rides going so far. They weren't doing any split operations in the kiddie area, which they did every time I was there last year. I am hoping that stays the case when the other three rides open. I think the rides we are getting are a net positive vs the ones lost as well. There was also a roaming cowboy that was a nice touch.

On the operation front, it seemed much better but still had issues. The tea cups now let you get in and out by yourself and they let three people ride per car on the sidewinder (if the seat belt fits). No split operations in Kiddie land. Ride ops seem to have increased their speed from insanely slow to a normal speed.

On the bad side: They still do the annoying thing of fastening ever seat belt in unused seats. The pirate ship had a massive line and most of the time was half empty when running. The log ride seems to need twice as many logs as it has, long line and they were having to wait for logs to fill, the distance between boats was insanely large.

The gunslinger is still not running.

Overall I think the park is much better than last year and hope they keep improving the operation. Most of the rides have an extremely low hourly capacity if operated perfectly, and it is really terrible with poor operation.

I haven't checked WWB's prices yet, but my in-laws almost always joins for a day out there but won't drop $45ea for it.
    Last time I went to WBB (about 3-5 years ago) it was nasty. But they don't have to worry about being clean or having a good park because they don't have any competition here.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Last time I went to WBB (about 3-5 years ago) it was nasty. But they don't have to worry about being clean or having a good park because they don't have any competition here.
    Speaking of competition, hopefully Thunder falls in Yukon breaks ground this year. Seems as if this ran into some delays since I thought this would have broke ground last year.

https://www.theyukonreview.com/2019/...-move-forward/

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Speaking of competition, hopefully Thunder falls in Yukon breaks ground this year. Seems as if this ran into some delays since I thought this would have broke ground last year.

https://www.theyukonreview.com/2019/...-move-forward/
    It doesn't even sound like they own the property yet.

It takes months to draw plans and months more to get approved building permits.

No way this happens this year and even next year may be a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It doesn't even sound like they own the property yet.

It takes months to draw plans and months more to get approved building permits.

No way this happens this year and even next year may be a stretch.
    So article is probably hogwash if they haven't even purchased land. Year is halfway over now.

Thread Information