Widgets Magazine

Thread: OSU Reveals Plans For New Baseball Stadium

Default OSU Reveals Plans For New Baseball Stadium

Default Re: OSU Reveals Plans For New Baseball Stadium

Congratulations to OSU for building one bigger and better than OU's! Isn't that what OSU is all about?

The only thing OSU is concerned with in regard to Athletics is moving up this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._championships

That is evident in the 3 world class facilities that OSU has or is planning to build recently: Michael and Anne Greenwood Tennis Center, the Cowgirl Soccer Complex, and this new facility for baseball.

I know that Football is king in this state, and people always focus on how OU dominates on that field against OSU. But I’ve always felt that when it comes to athletics as a whole, OSU has always been pretty impressive.

The old stadium is what, 40 years old?

Is this also the project that was involved in some real estate conflict with a homeowner a few years back?

I believe so. They are moving to the corner of McElroy and Washington beside the new track and across from the new tennis center. I know there was some conflict at some point with eminent domain.

Not sure how old Allie P. is, but I'm going to miss it. Grew up going to games there. When I think of my fondest memories of OSU sports as a kid they are at Allie P and Gallagher Iba.

HangryHippo Guest

I'm a diehard OU fan, but what OSU does in other sports (as well as football) has always been impressive to me. Plus, it's better for Oklahoma to have both state schools flourishing.

For sure. I'm looking forward to Junior Day later this month, when we're taking my son up to tour the campus. The day starts out at Gallagher Iba, so it'll be nice to be there. I haven't really been on campus in over a decade, and I haven't been in Gallagher since before the 90's expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    The old stadium is what, 40 years old?

Is this also the project that was involved in some real estate conflict with a homeowner a few years back?
    Not directly.

The land all of this is being built on was privately owned, and osu used eminent domain and bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Congratulations to OSU for building one bigger and better than OU's! Isn't that what OSU is all about?
    You are spot on correct. And, it does look like a very nice facility. Congrats to osu.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    sometimes bigger doesn't always mean better. If you would put truth serum in osu fans they would admit gallagher iba is too big. Having thousands of empty seats every game made the gym lose some of its luster.

3500 is too big for either state school in baseball at this time.
    But a new stadium was and is needed. Just like OU needs a new basketball arena. Lloyd noble is ancient.

I can remember going to the big 8 baseball tournament back in the late 80's early 90's at all sports stadium. There were routinely 10k in attendance per session. Now i think the whole tournament is lucky to get 10k there at bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    sometimes bigger doesn't always mean better. If you would put truth serum in osu fans they would admit gallagher iba is too big. Having thousands of empty seats every game made the gym lose some of its luster.

But a new stadium was and is needed. Just like OU needs a new basketball arena. Lloyd noble is ancient.

I can remember going to the big 8 baseball tournament back in the late 80's early 90's at all sports stadium. There were routinely 10k in attendance per session. Now i think the whole tournament is lucky to get 10k there at bricktown.
    Attendance has dwindled in most college sports. Even football is not what it once was. Any new college athletic facility should accept this new reality and not be too large, but rather focus on updating and enhancing the player and fan experience.

OSU had 11,000 in attendance for the last NIT game. This was remarkable being that OSU was having spring break. As a reward, Coach Boynton had his contract extended. If he can further improve his teams, more people will be wanting to drive up from Oklahoma City and Tulsa to see them play. If all goes super well, people will be complaining that Gallagher-Iba is too small.

Blog Entries

At 3500, this would put OSU at the 63rd largest college stadium. They should be able to fill that up.
    Only OU at 3200, and the Kansas schools at 2,500 each are smaller in the B12.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    This is the story behind that: http://newsok.com/article/3090063

Thanks, I tried a quick look and didn't find anything.

OSU had 11,000 in attendance for the last NIT game. This was remarkable being that OSU was having spring break. As a reward, Coach Boynton had his contract extended. If he can further improve his teams, more people will be wanting to drive up from Oklahoma City and Tulsa to see them play. If all goes super well, people will be complaining that Gallagher-Iba is too small.
    Yes if Boynton gets his team year in and year out in the tournament and the FBI clears OSU of wrong doing with the former coach on his staff and if Boynton stays loyal to OSU and rejects bigger schools offering more money, then yes I could see people complaining that GI is too small.

Not just trying to knock OSU, OU built their football stadium too large. OU doesn't fill up the 3rd deck unless its a big visiting team. No team in the big 12 that travels to Norman moves the dial that much. Last time the 3rd deck was filled full of people was Ohio State. Yes yes I realize every game last season was a "sellout".

Yes if Boynton gets his team year in and year out in the tournament and the FBI clears OSU of wrong doing with the former coach on his staff and if Boynton stays loyal to OSU and rejects bigger schools offering more money, then yes I could see people complaining that GI is too small.

Not just trying to knock OSU, OU built their football stadium too large. OU doesn't fill up the 3rd deck unless its a big visiting team. No team in the big 12 that travels to Norman moves the dial that much. Last time the 3rd deck was filled full of people was Ohio State. Yes yes I realize every game last season was a "sellout".
    I don't know, 6 or 8pm on a Wednesday night is always going to be tough for OSU fans to get to Stillwater, one is too early the other is too late.

Then OU might as well do what OSU did and reduce seating to give more comfort.
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...caad236f4.html

Dirt work for it has started. Stillwater High School's Pioneer Stadium can be seen in the left background:

I believe that attendance # is padded through free student admission and sweet deals on other tix. First game of NIT drew 5300

Ttt, ddd.

You build a new baseball stadium and I doubt the cost changes much whether you have 1000 seats or 3500. Bleacher seats dont cost that much in the scheme of things. But you have to accommodate for crowds you get when hosting a regional, as well as bedlam series when it inevitably goes to OSU and OU campuses and away from ONEOK and Bricktown. I think it should also hosts hs tourneys and state titles, etc., because its likely this will be the nicest college baseball stadium when complete. And the fact that it has a concourse around the entire field is cool. Took forever but glad its finally getting done.

Now back to random commentary and subtle and not so subtle OSU jabs.

Thread Information