Widgets Magazine

Thread: Hb 1032

Default Hb 1032

From the OKC Planning Department:
    Recently, a bill was proposed that would prevent cities from regulating design elements for housing. The new version of this bill does not have any exemptions for design districts such as HP (and I’m guessing things like UCDs), and appears to affect EXISTING districts as well.

It looks like this bill attempts to roll back any design requirements to such time as the lots were platted, which in HP neighborhoods is over a century ago in most cases. This would also affect DTD as it pertains to residential requirements.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Hb 1032

Wow.

Blog Entries

This is a shell bill. It can't proceed until the title is restored. That usually means it is headed to a conference committee. The key is to see which conferees are appointed so you can lobby them.

This will be disastrous for OKC's future development if this were to occur. Anybody who wants to one day see a truly urban downtown OKC should be vehemently opposed to this. Hopefully enough people are.

6. Default Re: Hb 1032

^ so much for the tenant of LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

Republicans in Oklahoma are so hypocritical.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Are state republicans just bored at this point? Have they ran out of sharia law and 10 commandment bills at the capitol? Do these people just read from a playbook about ways to make their states worse? If this book doesn’t exist then some of these okie conservatives sure should write one. Utter incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Are state republicans just bored at this point? Have they ran out of sharia law and 10 commandment bills at the capitol? Do these people just read from a playbook about ways to make their states worse? If this book doesn’t exist then some of these okie conservatives sure should write one. Utter incompetence.
    My thoughts exactly. Doing the same thing with the same people expecting different results. Oklahoma only legislates guns, abortion, liquor, to hell with high tech jobs, improved education, health care for citizens. Not a modicum of ingenuity or foresighted thought on how to further diversify and grow the States economy.

I just browsed the text of this bill. The most recent amended version looks like it carves out HP. Am I reading it wrong?

Word is, a major proponent of this bill (and similar bills in other states) is the National Association of Home Builders. They're championing this in the name of affordable housing.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Doing the same thing with the same people expecting different results. Oklahoma only legislates guns, abortion, liquor, to hell with high tech jobs, improved education, health care for citizens. Not a modicum of ingenuity or foresighted thought on how to further diversify and grow the States economy.
    ^^^ Truth, except for the part about the liquor laws.

12. Default Re: Hb 1032

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Word is, a major proponent of this bill (and similar bills in other states) is the National Association of Home Builders. They're championing this in the name of affordable housing.
    I think you are right. The NAHB web site has an article where they are working with the Federal Government on the provision of affordable housing. My take is they want to prohibit cities from essentially outlawing minimum square footage housing based on criteria listed. The language and materials listed in the bill and the web site are similar. First, this seems out of ordinary for a Republican legislature to push what seems to be a liberal-ideal piece of legislation. If a R introduced this, he's probably associated with that group in some way. Second, l can't imagine this going far for the reasons listed above regarding state control over cities. Third, Oklahoma is about the last place affordable housing is much of an issue. Small houses, mobile homes and cheap apartments are pretty plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I think you are right. The NAHB web site has an article where they are working with the Federal Government on the provision of affordable housing. My take is they want to prohibit cities from essentially outlawing minimum square footage housing based on criteria listed. The language and materials listed in the bill and the web site are similar. First, this seems out of ordinary for a Republican legislature to push what seems to be a liberal-ideal piece of legislation. If a R introduced this, he's probably associated with that group in some way. Second, l can't imagine this going far for the reasons listed above regarding state control over cities. Third, Oklahoma is about the last place affordable housing is much of an issue. Small houses, mobile homes and cheap apartments are pretty plentiful.
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. Not to mention the inefficiencies inherent in the type of homebuilder developments anyway that prohibit them from really being affordable housing solutions (density, distance, etc). They just don't want to be required to pay for brick veneers instead of cheaper siding in their new subdivisions.

Like mentioned, this is a ridiculous bill to run in our state that has some of the lowest housing costs.

If they want to help make housing more affordable, amend and shrink the IBC building codes. So much unnecessary crap that is in there and I've read that it can add $50-60,000 to the average home.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Like mentioned, this is a ridiculous bill to run in our state that has some of the lowest housing costs.

If they want to help make housing more affordable, amend and shrink the IBC building codes. So much unnecessary crap that is in there and I've read that it can add $50-60,000 to the average home.
    Yes, get rid of regulations. Families don’t need safety and they don’t need assurance that what they are buying is constructed properly. Let the buyer beware, and if they don’t know anything about construction, too bad. They should be smarter. Cheaper and unregulated is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    First, this seems out of ordinary for a Republican legislature to push what seems to be a liberal-ideal piece of legislation. If a R introduced this, he's probably associated with that group in some way.
    On a national level (couldn't find state level contributions), the NAHB's PAC gives about 5 times as much money to Republicans as they do Democrats. I'm not really sure what political idealism to file this under, but it doesn't really matter because money, not principles, drives this stuff. Since they give a lot of money to Republicans, Republicans will be the ones introducing NAHB's legislative agenda in most cases.

In 2018, our federal reps got $49.5K from the NAHB PAC:

Tom Cole - 10K
    Kevin Hern - 12.5K
    Frank Lucas - 8.5k
    Markwayne Mullin - 10k
    Steven Russel - 8.5k

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pac...cmte=C00000901

Again, not sure what state legislators have been given.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, get rid of regulations. Families don’t need safety and they don’t need assurance that what they are buying is constructed properly. Let the buyer beware, and if they don’t know anything about construction, too bad. They should be smarter. Cheaper and unregulated is the way to go.
    Why not? That's what the labor pool is these days....

Thread Information