Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: National Basketball Association

Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    They group Raliegh with Greensboro to create a market. Well Tulsa is about the same distance from OKC so why isn't OKC claiming a pop of 2.3 mil? Just interesting to see how some of these smaller cities make claims. Seattle does much the same to make their pop look larger. SLC does as well.
    When talking to the league the owners stated that there was an expectation there would be a following and sales from Tulsa, as far as why the metropolitan stats are still separate is the economies are not intertwined enough by the methods they use to merge the two.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey boss View Post
    i submit that contraction should be considered. Eliminate the 4 biggest money losers, disperse the players in a lottery and stay that way for a while. Shrinking roster spots means deeper and better teams, less reason to keep head cases, and 40+ players not leaving college early, thereby strengthening the college game.
    this^^

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Expand by adding 10 teams.

Cut it into 2-tiers. NBA Premier, and then just the NBA.

Each tier has 4 divisions of 5.

Play your four division opponents 4 times, play 3 times vs. the other 15 teams (totals 61 games). Play all 20 teams in the other league once or play half of the other league 2 times, I don't care.

The playoffs are the top teams from each division + 2 wild cards. Still best-of-7 series.

Lowest team in each division in the Premier every season gets booted to the NBA, and the reverse for NBA to Premier. In addition then next 2 worst Premier teams and 2 best NBA teams move up, regardless of division…winning the regular NBA championship guarantees you move to the Premier.

Expand to:

Seattle
    Chicago (2nd)
    Tampa
    Kansas City
    St. Louis
    Austin
    Raleigh/Durham
    Pittsburgh
    ???
    ???
    Relegation?

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    I'm from KC, and as much as I would LOVE for them to snag an NBA team, I have to agree. The professional teams they have now only get strong fan support when the teams are winning games, with the exception of Sporting which is the new-kid-on-the-block. Although, the KC metro as a whole is so basketball crazed (mainly due to KU and their bball team being so close) that I do think an NBA team there would flourish. It would just come at the expense of the existing professional teams.
    Sporting KC isn't really new though. They have been around since the MLS started in 1996. They have gone through several name changes and stadiums though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    Sporting KC isn't really new though. They have been around since the MLS started in 1996. They have gone through several name changes and stadiums though.

Who knows, Denver & Kansas City are situated in some rich counties. Could they be an exception to the rule? It would definitely be a risk that could extremely overextend the market.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Blog Entries

NBA Re: National Basketball Association

What's coming out of Barcelona?

Rockets sign Greek forward Kostas Papanikolaou to two-year deal

Papanikolaou played for FC Barcelona Basquet last season and averaged 6.9 points in 25 minutes per game. He has won two Euroleague titles.

This offseason, the Rockets lost forward Chandler Parsons in free agency to the Dallas Mavericks and replaced him with Trevor Ariza.

Rockets sign Kostas Papanikolaou to two-year, $4.8 million deal - NBA - SI.com

Tyler Pleiss, a Thunder draftee, will spend the upcoming season in Barcelona... ...Thunder intend to bring the center to Oklahoma City for the 2015-16 season

24 years old, 7'1'' - 180 lbs., Pleiss brings a great deal of size to that frontcourt though and has the ability to stretch the floor with his shooting.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Tyler Pleiss, a Thunder draftee, will spend the upcoming season in Barcelona... ...Thunder intend to bring the center to Oklahoma City for the 2015-16 season
    Tibor Pleiss. And, yeah, there was speculation mid-summer about Pleiss coming over this year, but then reports stated he'd likely come over next season. The Thunder also own the rights to Alex Abrines who Pleiss will play with this season. He's a good 3 point shooter who made the Spanish national team (which is good).

That 180 lbs is a typo right?

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    It is the wrong guy, the 180 pound guy is a 6'1" guard. The guy we have rights to is a foot taller, is listed as 269 lb and has a different first name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    pahdz: I wish...

Pleiss 7' 1" - 180 lbs., (from Omaha, NE) is probably too skinny to enter the NBA; they need to at least add 20 more pounds on Tyler. They have one year in which to beef up this young man.

The two smallest players by weight on the 2014-15 Thunder roster are:

Sebastian Telfair, 6' 0' - PG - 170
    Jeremy Lamb, 6' 5" - SG - 185

Pleiss 7' 1" - 180 lbs., (from Omaha, NE) is probably too skinny to enter the NBA; they need to at least add 20 more pounds on Tyler. They have one year in which to beef up this young man.

The guy is from German, from his bio it looks like he has never been to Omaha or Nebraska, and is listed as 242 to 269 pounds depending on the source,

Tibor Pliess is from Germany, and he was coming this year but the contract buyout was to much. He's a good offensive player with a very good shooting touch and good size at 7' 1" and 245.

You guys are ruining his random posts with lots of pictures.

Blog Entries

THANK YOU...

Correction: My Bad!

Tibor Pleiss
    German, 7'1" 269 lb Center

Tibor; not Tyler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The Thunder also own the rights to Alex Abrines who Pleiss will play with this season. He's a good 3 point shooter who made the Spanish national team (which is good).
    That's correct dankrutka, Presti has some weapons stored in his overseas chest arsenal:

Alex Abrines

6' 6" Shooting guard/Small Forward, 190 lbs. Plays for FC Barcelona of the Spanish ACB League.
    2013 Draft: Round: 2 / Pick: 32nd overall selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder

It will be great if any of these guys turn out to be as athletic with their play on the caliber of Serge Ibaka.

I like Grumpy Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I like Grumpy Cat.
    Other funny internet memes besides Grumpy Cat

Pancake Bunny

Picture of a rabbit with a breakfast item placed on head for comedic effect.

Dancing Baby

One of the most widely-recognized GIFs in the early days of the World Wide Web;
    featured on the popular television program "Ally McBeal."

"Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty." --Axl Rose.

Blog Entries

The media pressure, expectations, support personnel and skill sets are on the line for team management as well as the key superstars.

Kevin Durant will have new challenges as a leader as OKC enters the 2014-15 season; he will need valuable support from Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Steven Adams. IMO the key will be if the Thunder stays focused and healthy. NBA year 2014-15 will not be a 'do or die' season for the Thunder. It will be a year of decision for Sam Presti as the Thunder stay on track in pursuit of an NBA title. How valuable is Reggie Jackson--will the Thunder have to go over the CAP to keep this group cohesive?

Let's wish our Oklahoma City Thunder the best!

Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder have been in the thick of the fight in each of the past four years, falling short because of inexperience, bad luck and injury. Now, it's time for the next (and final) step.
    Western Conference:

Los Angeles Lakers: As Kobe Bryant approaches retirement, the Lakers will have the most pressure as the Clippers' share the spotlight.

Los Angeles Clippers: Chris Paul's leadership will be a must. As a mature NBA point guard, Paul looks tired and weary as the Clippers has some great pieces (DeAndre Jordan, Jamal Crawford, Matt Barnes & J. J. Redick) as they challenge the Spurs & Thunder for the Western Conference.

IMHO, if this team moves to Seattle; they won't have to share the spotlight with the Lakers. Move over Portland; Seattle Supersonics (Clippers) will form the NBA's hottest new rivalry with OKC.

San Antonio Spurs: It's always a tough challenge to repeat as NBA champions. Does a great coach like Gregg Popovich possess the energy to continue to step up his game?

Eastern Conference:

Cleveland Cavaliers: LeBron James forms a new big three (with Kyrie Irving & Kevin Love). Their biggest challenge will be the expectations of the team as King James returns home. Can King James' leadership bring this team together?

Miami Heat: How will Dwayne Wade & Chris Bosh perform without LeBron James? The Heat now has plenty of CAP space with LeBron's return to Cleveland.

Chicago Bulls: The Bulls will have a new look as Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah welcome Pao Gasol to the Wendy City.

Let's not forget:

Portland Trailblazers: LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum and Damian Lillard will return to challenge the Thunder for the Northwest Division.

Indiana Pacers: Loss of Paul George will be huge. Roy Hibbert and George Hill will need C. J. Miles to pick up the slack.

5 NBA Superstars with the Most on the Line Entering 2014-15 | Bleacher Report

I don't agree with all of the insights of the above Bleacher Report; however, they have their agenda.

Blog Entries

From Washington State to Washington D. C., the Washington (DC) Post breaks its silence:

Could this be part of a backlash since Kevin Durant resigned with NIKE?

Seattle’s KeyArena lost money when the Sonics were there. It’s now turning a profit.

At least that’s the case in Seattle, where the departure of the Seattle SuperSonics for Oklahoma City after the 2007-08 season left KeyArena without its primary tenant and the city wondering how it could fill the void left by 41 departed home games per season (and the spending money of the fans who attended them).

Seattle?s KeyArena lost money when the Sonics were there. It?s now turning a profit. - The Washington Post

Did they factor in the materiality that when the Supersonics' relocated that KeyArena became 'debt free' when the Professional Basketball Club LLC owners paid off the debts ($45 million) on KeyArena from the 1996 renovation as part of the lease settlement?

Recall: The Supersonics played in the 'smallest arena' with the least amount of revenue producing amenities in the NBA.

The media pressure, expectations, support personnel and skill sets are on the line for team management as well as the key superstars.

Kevin Durant will have new challenges as a leader as OKC enters the 2014-15 season; he will need valuable support from Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Steven Adams. IMO the key will be if the Thunder stays focused and healthy. NBA year 2014-15 will not be a 'do or die' season for the Thunder. It will be a year of decision for Sam Presti as the Thunder stay on track in pursuit of an NBA title. How valuable is Reggie Jackson--will the Thunder have to go over the CAP to keep this group cohesive?

Let's wish our Oklahoma City Thunder the best!

Western Conference:

Los Angeles Lakers: As Kobe Bryant approaches retirement, the Lakers will have the most pressure as the Clippers' share the spotlight.

Los Angeles Clippers: Chris Paul's leadership will be a must. As a mature NBA point guard, Paul looks tired and weary as the Clippers has some great pieces (DeAndre Jordan, Jamal Crawford, Matt Barnes & J. J. Redick) as they challenge the Spurs & Thunder for the Western Conference.

IMHO, if this team moves to Seattle; they won't have to share the spotlight with the Lakers. Move over Portland; Seattle Supersonics (Clippers) will form the NBA's hottest new rivalry with OKC.

San Antonio Spurs: It's always a tough challenge to repeat as NBA champions. Does a great coach like Gregg Popovich possess the energy to continue to step up his game?

Eastern Conference:

Cleveland Cavaliers: LeBron James forms a new big three (with Kyrie Irving & Kevin Love). Their biggest challenge will be the expectations of the team as King James returns home. Can King James' leadership bring this team together?

Miami Heat: How will Dwayne Wade & Chris Bosh perform without LeBron James? The Heat now has plenty of CAP space with LeBron's return to Cleveland.

Chicago Bulls: The Bulls will have a new look as Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah welcome Pao Gasol to the Wendy City.

Let's not forget:

Portland Trailblazers: LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum and Damian Lillard will return to challenge the Thunder for the Northwest Division.

Indiana Pacers: Loss of Paul George will be huge. Roy Hibbert and George Hill will need C. J. Miles to pick up the slack.

5 NBA Superstars with the Most on the Line Entering 2014-15 | Bleacher Report

I don't agree with all of the insights of the above Bleacher Report; however, they have their agenda.
    WTF ? This article did not mention Griffin as one of the "great pieces" the Clippers have around Paul? Epic fail.

The new TV contract is insane.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    WTF ? This article did not mention Griffin as one of the "great pieces" the Clippers have around Paul? Epic fail.
    LMAO!

I think they limited the scope of their topic to the five teams' superstars, now why they left out Cleveland's LeBron James & OKC's Russell Westbrook is a mystery to me as well.

Cleveland: Kyrie Irving will have a challenge as this now becomes LeBron James' team. Kevin Love leaves Minnesota--this guy will need to improve his defensive play.

Los Angeles: Will Kobe Bryant limp his way out through retirement; how effective will he be coming off that Achilles' tendon tear?

Chicago: Derrick Rose needs to go to New Orleans, pay a visit to Miss Rudolph (Voodoo lady) to see if she can 'kill' that mojo injury hex someone put on him.

Just for fun: Beverley-in-the-Rough

It will be an interesting matchup when Cleveland meets Miami--Wade and Bosh against James and Miller...

1. Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant
    2. Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose
    3. Cleveland Cavaliers' Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love,
    4. Miami Heat's Dwayne Wade
    5. Oklahoma City Thunder's Kevin Durant

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    The new TV contract is insane.
    So glad you brought this to our attention.

More nationally televised games: Under the current deal, corporate siblings ESPN and ABC broadcast 90 regular-season games while TNT broadcasts 52. Under terms of the new contract, ESPN/ABC will get an additional 10 games, and TNT will get another 12, meaning that 164 of the NBA's 1,230 regular season games (13.33 percent) will be nationally televised. While this represents increased exposure for the league, it also represents an enormous challenge. As it stands, the league's national-television scheduling process is a **** sandwich.

**** = Sh + third person singular unspecified LOL!

What The NBA's Insane New TV Deal Means For The League And For You

32 Thunder games on National TV: Oklahoma City Thunder 2015 Schedule - Thunder Home and Away - ESPN

24. Default Re: National Basketball Association

DWade is a superstar? news to me.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    DWade is a superstar? news to me.

Top 25 Highest Paid NBA Players For 2014-15 | The Hoop Doctors

Thread Information