Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Daylight Savings Time

Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    That would be the point, yes.
    Hence what I stated in my first post should you have troubled yourself to engage in a little reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    Hence what I stated in my first post should you have troubled yourself to engage in a little reading comprehension.
    This is not a warboard, and your personal attacks are unwelcome, so I will not be continuing this conversation. You implied that they could not work on this issue in conjunction with others. You know this to be untrue.

Despite some people thinking this isn't an issue deserving attention, it is getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    This is not a warboard, and your personal attacks are unwelcome, so I will not be continuing this conversation. You implied that they could not work on this issue in conjunction with others. You know this to be untrue.

Despite some people thinking this isn't an issue deserving attention, it is getting it.
    I understand that, but it feels like every time I comment somewhere you have something snarky to contribute. I implied nothing, and if you read it that way, then that's your issue to work through. I implied that they have more important things (plural) to deal with than this - for starters, teachers streaming across the borders into states who treat them better, infrastructure that is crumbling, and a host of other things that need done. I certainly don't consider it a warboard, as you say, but I also don't take kindly to false implications.

I do agree with you on one thing. It would be a ton easier to stay on DST all year long. It feels like a day is so much more productive with it staying light later in the day. But the federal government would probably shut that down.

Honestly, after living in Phoenix and Tucson, I would pay money to go back to standard time year round. People complain about getting off work and it is dark, but that is just natural winter. In the summer time, even with standard time, the sun would still be up until nearly 8:00 and with dusk, later than that. Daylight saving time, may be good for those that stay up late but for those of us that have to get up at 4:00 AM, and have insomnia, it really is hard to get to sleep when it is still daytime.

During the summer, the only time I ever see darkness is in the morning, on the way to work. I know it is just a personal preference but standard time is normal, and people would get use to it.

5. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

I have to admit I stay up late at night, and get up later than most people do. I love DST, and look forward to the change every spring. I love it being lighter longer in the evening, and wish we could keep DST all year long. I get so much more done during DST, and dread when it changes back to Standard time.

This ^^^^

^^^ Agreed... when it come time to spring forward, set it and forget it.

I agree with rezman. "when it comes to spring forward, set it and forget it". I would like for it to be brought to a vote of the people, but my luck, it probably would be voted standard time all year. That would be more awful than having the time change twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    I agree with rezman. "when it comes to spring forward, set it and forget it". I would like for it to be brought to a vote of the people, but my luck, it probably would be voted standard time all year. That would be more awful than having the time change twice a year.
    The US Congress would have to modify the Uniform Time Act for any state to stay on DST, which is not going to happen. No state can go on DST permanently without this modification to the UTA (at the very least, since there may be other hurdles they have to overcome if that one ever came to pass) - they either have the choice to stay on standard time or switch back and forth, this has been mentioned in this thread multiple times, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The US Congress would have to modify the Uniform Time Act for any state to stay on DST, which is not going to happen. No state can go on DST permanently without this modification to the UTA (at the very least, since there may be other hurdles they have to overcome if that one ever came to pass) - they either have the choice to stay on standard time or switch back and forth, this has been mentioned in this thread multiple times, I believe.
    Marijuana is illegal at the federal level but legal in some states. Wouldn't that be the case here or is the clock the line the states dare not cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Marijuana is illegal at the federal level but legal in some states. Wouldn't that be the case here or is the clock the line the states dare not cross.
    I agree, Stew. It's rather ridiculous that the clock is considered "untouchable" How backward that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Interesting way of thinking about it. I'd guess that eventually MJ will be re/de-scheduled at the federal level, so *that* won't be an issue, but since time zones affect absolutely everybody, that's a bigger thing. But who knows, far enough in the future, the UTA may be modified to allow states to do what they want. Since DST is an artificial human concept (although clocks and measuring of time by seconds, minutes, etc. could also kinda sorta said to be the same), I'd suspect that the UTA/standard time will still be the law of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    i thought i saw that Florida was going to make a challenge for this after they voted to stay on DST, to try and make it official and get congress to change it. and several other states are looking at it... Massachusetts is also allegedly lobbying the US congress before it is on their 2020 ballot... so i think it might actually change... it will just take a bit of time

Thread Information