Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 LastLast

Thread: OKC Commuter Rail

1. Default Re: OKC Commuter Rail

same thing for Seattle area's Sound Transit. It's transit, while the WSDOT does the HOV, highways, and vehicle stuff.

I think OKC's RTD should model its after Seattle or Denver, leave the highways and roads to ODOT and OKCDOT to manage (and fund).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: OKC Commuter Rail

Keep in mind that the focus on transit will be the job of the RTA that is still in the planning stages. ACOG is not, nor was it ever intended to be, a transit-only agency, which is why they are assisting in road projects - among many other things.

3. Default Re: OKC Commuter Rail

while I agree with you on the mission of ACOG, it appears to be somewhat of a disconnect between their recently announced plan for transit vs. their mission as an organization.

the article sounds like the RTD has been developed (but not yet named) according to the phrasing "A multimodal system must allow for pedestrian traffic, bicycles, rail, buses and streetcars, as well as seamless transitions between each – being able to load bicycles on buses, for example, or dedicating street lanes to high-occupancy vehicles" but then this is contradicted by the multimodal component receiving only 13% of the projected funding.

Again, this 10B figure appears to mostly be the mission of participants of this study (ODOT, Turnpike Authority, and the FHA; and much less so the Transit Agencies (COTPA/EMBARK, CART, and FTA). I would think a multi-modal system would be focused as such while existing roads and highways (more than half of the ACOG projects) would be the focus of ODOT and FHA.

In other words, why is ACOG looking to fund ODOT projects when ODOT has funding sources (and a mission) already? I would think ACOG would only look to coordinate/cooperate with ODOT to ensure transit needs would be met or could be easily implemented.

4. Default Re: OKC Commuter Rail

appears to be scope creep already. ...

Keep in mind the RTD will have its own funding, just like ODOT has its own.

ACOG is essentially a tool for central Oklahoma governments to be involved with shared plans, visions, and conversations. ACOG pushed the RTD forward and that RTD will have its own funding. Some of those funds may come from ACOG.

Is there any update on this?

Not that it's worth much, but out of all my friends (mostly in Norman) who don't pay much attention to development/etc., this is the one thing by far that they cite the most that they wish we had. Anecdotally demand seems high, at least among my peer group.

I see why. This seems like it would be very popular for a wide range of people.

Blog Entries

According to ACOG numbers 50% of the working population of Cleveland county commutes to Oklahoma county daily for work.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Not that it's worth much, but out of all my friends (mostly in Norman) who don't pay much attention to development/etc., this is the one thing by far that they cite the most that they wish we had. Anecdotally demand seems high, at least among my peer group.
    I echo this statement. When I tell people about the Streetcar, they don't understand it. But they always bring up the commuter train immediately thereafter.

Here's a quick review of where we've been, where we are and where we're headed:

Beginning in 2005, OKC and other metro area cities have been working with the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG) toward the goal of developing a regional transit system, including commuter rail.

Regional Transit System

In 2014, ACOG completed the Commuter Corridors Study, which recommended Commuter Rail between OKC, Norman and Edmond.

Commuter Corridors Study Executive Summary

In 2015, the mayors and city councils of OKC, Norman, Edmond, Moore, Midwest City and Del City approved a memorandum of understanding to create a Regional Transit Authority (RTA) Task Force.

Mayor's Vow Cooperation for Regional Transit

That task force, which is made up of mayors and council members from the participating cities, has been meeting regularly at ACOG and working toward the goal of creating an RTA.

RTA Task Force

The next steps are the most critical and include creation and approval of a new RTA by the participating cities, followed at some point by a referendum vote on a permanent dedicated transit system funding source. The goal is to create the RTA within the next two years, followed by a vote on a dedicated funding source within the next three to five years.

Once a funding source is in place and the new RTA in operation, development of the various components of the regional transit system will begin, including commuter rail service. Rapid development of an expanded metro-wide bus system would occur in the first few years, with initial commuter rail service commencing several years after that due to the additional infrastructure development needed for that service.

While we're still a number of years away from having a comprehensive regional transit system, including commuter rail, the good news is we're well on our way to getting there.

You can keep up with all of the past and current news as we continue toward our goal at the OnTrac website:

OnTrac

Will the commuter rail run under Embark or or will it get its own name like Metrolink?

Also, do you know if they will be using sheriffs department for police like Metro does or will they use their own police like Dart?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Will the commuter rail run under Embark or or will it get its own name like Metrolink?

Also, do you know if they will be using sheriffs department for police like Metro does or will they use their own police like Dart?
    I think details like that are way too refined for the current phase. Given that the completed system will span different counties as well as different municipalities I would venture a guess that transit police will need to be independent of current police. I would also bet that the newly formed transit agency will either absorb Embark (or Embark morph into the larger agency).

I'm totally new to this so it's probably obvious, but why isn't west OKC included in the scope? Yukon and Mustang are booming with people who frequent downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I'm totally new to this so it's probably obvious, but why isn't west OKC included in the scope? Yukon and Mustang are booming with people who frequent downtown.
    UP or Hutch can correct me, but it was my understanding when I was following this much closer that Yukon and Mustang were both invited to the table but declined as they did not see value in a regional public transportation system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Here's a quick review of where we've been, where we are and where we're headed:

Beginning in 2005, OKC and other metro area cities have been working with the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG) toward the goal of developing a regional transit system, including commuter rail.

Regional Transit System

In 2014, ACOG completed the Commuter Corridors Study, which recommended Commuter Rail between OKC, Norman and Edmond.

Commuter Corridors Study Executive Summary

In 2015, the mayors and city councils of OKC, Norman, Edmond, Moore, Midwest City and Del City approved a memorandum of understanding to create a Regional Transit Authority (RTA) Task Force.

Mayor's Vow Cooperation for Regional Transit

That task force, which is made up of mayors and council members from the participating cities, has been meeting regularly at ACOG and working toward the goal of creating an RTA.

RTA Task Force

The next steps are the most critical and include creation and approval of a new RTA by the participating cities, followed at some point by a referendum vote on a permanent dedicated transit system funding source. The goal is to create the RTA within the next two years, followed by a vote on a dedicated funding source within the next three to five years.

Once a funding source is in place and the new RTA in operation, development of the various components of the regional transit system will begin, including commuter rail service. Rapid development of an expanded metro-wide bus system would occur in the first few years, with initial commuter rail service commencing several years after that due to the additional infrastructure development needed for that service.

While we're still a number of years away from having a comprehensive regional transit system, including commuter rail, the good news is we're well on our way to getting there.

You can keep up with all of the past and current news as we continue toward our goal at the OnTrac website:

OnTrac
    This post should be made a sticky. Lots of good info that might get buried since it's post 386.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    UP or Hutch can correct me, but it was my understanding when I was following this much closer that Yukon and Mustang were both invited to the table but declined as they did not see value in a regional public transportation system.
    Regional transit discussions among the various OKC metro area municipalities began in 2009 with ACOG's "Regional Transit Dialogue" and continued in 2012 with RTD II. Those efforts brought together officials from the various cities to begin discussions on a wide range of regional transit planning issues. Yukon and Mustang were included, however they did not participate to the same degree as the other municipalities. I'm not sure of the reason. West OKC, including the Yukon/Mustang area, are included in the original 2005 Fixed Guideway Study, which provided the first regional transit system plan. Under that plan, west OKC and the Yukon/Mustang area were to be initially serviced by Express Bus and/or Bus Rapid Transit, as opposed to Commuter Rail service that was proposed for Norman, Edmond, Moore, Midwest City and Del City. The lack of participation by Yukon/Mustang could have been a result of a lack of excitement due the fact they were not initially getting rail transit service. Or, it could have been due to an overall general lack of enthusiasm for transit.

When the Commuter Corridors study was undertaken in 2013, it focused on the three major rail transit corridors already identified in the Fixed Guideway Study. The fact that the West OKC/Mustang/Yukon area was not part of that study does not mean that area will not be considered for Commuter Rail service at some point in the future. Due to the rapidly growing population density in those areas, it's likely that once Commuter Rail service is in operation for the initial primary corridors that it will be expanded to serve the West OKC/Mustang/Yukon area. In fact, the final approved Intermodal Hub Study Master Plan for Santa Fe Station includes the ability to expand the facility under Phase 3 to allow for additional Commuter Rail service to West OKC/Mustang/Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Regional transit discussions among the various OKC metro area municipalities began in 2009 with ACOG's "Regional Transit Dialogue" and continued in 2012 with RTD II. Those efforts brought together officials from the various cities to begin discussions on a wide range of regional transit planning issues. Yukon and Mustang were included, however they did not participate to the same degree as the other municipalities. I'm not sure of the reason. West OKC, including the Yukon/Mustang area, are included in the original 2005 Fixed Guideway Study, which provided the first regional transit system plan. Under that plan, west OKC and the Yukon/Mustang area were to be initially serviced by Express Bus and/or Bus Rapid Transit, as opposed to Commuter Rail service that was proposed for Norman, Edmond, Moore, Midwest City and Del City. The lack of participation by Yukon/Mustang could have been a result of a lack of excitement due the fact they were not initially getting rail transit service. Or, it could have been due to an overall general lack of enthusiasm for transit.

When the Commuter Corridors study was undertaken in 2013, it focused on the three major rail transit corridors already identified in the Fixed Guideway Study. The fact that the West OKC/Mustang/Yukon area was not part of that study does not mean that area will not be considered for Commuter Rail service at some point in the future. Due to the rapidly growing population density in those areas, it's likely that once Commuter Rail service is in operation for the initial primary corridors that it will be expanded to serve the West OKC/Mustang/Yukon area. In fact, the final approved Intermodal Hub Study Master Plan for Santa Fe Station includes the ability to expand the facility under Phase 3 to allow for additional Commuter Rail service to West OKC/Mustang/Yukon.
    Thanks for the info! Ya I was disappointed at first to hear that Yukon/Mustang leadership didn't see value in the commuter rail. But it makes sense if the initial study didn't recommend them to be a part of the rail line. There are a ton of millenials, among others that frequent downtown, that I think would definitely get on board with taking the rail.

19. Default Re: OKC Commuter Rail

The faster we get on making this happen, the more viable that stupid downtown trolley will be. Detroit is a good example of how a limited line like that it a total waste of time if it doesn't immediately expand to be an actual commuter line.

Next thing they need to do is figure out a way that a pass would be interchangeable between bus/rail. Another example Detroit shows is that when there are two different (and disconnected) systems, people just dont use it. Need to make it easy. Embark has to know this will decrease their ridership, so if they're smart, they'll get on the bandwagon and adjust routes to ADD benefit, not compete against.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    that stupid downtown trolley
    ???

Blog Entries

not a streetcar fan obvs (which is his prerogative)

Blog Entries

(or perhaps a streetcar fan but not a fan of our route, in which case I'm in the latter boat as well)

23. Default Re: OKC Commuter Rail

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    (or perhaps a streetcar fan but not a fan of our route, in which case I'm in the latter boat as well)
    I'm in this category as well.

Blog Entries

For the record I think our route would have been great for a phase 2. For phase 1 I would have done a straight line up Walker from SW 25th to NW 23rd. That's 4 miles of track but immediately useful to neighborhoods. We could have done another 3 miles perpendicular on Sheridan or something to reach Bricktown/Santa Fe in Phase 1, and then closed up the loop in Phase 2. But what's done is done and I'm on board. Pun intended.

HangryHippo Guest

Perhaps the straight shot up Walker could be Phase 2? They've got to figure out a way to get it to Capitol Hill, 23rd St, and the HSC campus.

Thread Information