Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

Default AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

https://oklahoman.com/article/563892...CHLTBuONS_crFc

According to Steve Lackmeyer from the Oklahoman that AMC 7 at Northpark has closed for good.

Default Re: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

Never like hearing about people losing their jobs. I wonder what they will do with the space?

Hopefully another theater company comes in and Buys & upgrades the place. Maybe I'm just hoping but I think it still can be a great location for a 4 screen theater.

I'm surprised they lasted this long. Did AMC ever pump money into it? It was just a dollar theater. If it was given the Penn square 10 treatment, it may have had a chance. I don't think people even knew it was still open, there was no effort by AMC to really advertise outside. The marque sign hasn't been touched for a couple of years now with movie listings.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Hopefully another theater company comes in and Buys & upgrades the place. Maybe I'm just hoping but I think it still can be a great location for a 4 screen theater.
    As it was originally, and the largest screen was *huge*, not sure of the capacity but it was probably pretty close to what the Continental and Westwood held, saw "Reds" in the big one and stood in line for hours for the premiere of "Empire Strikes Back" there (also showed in the big one).

I spoke to AMC a couple of years ago, as I had heard they were considering a major remodel and expansion.

They told me at the time it was something they very much wanted to do, but the current owner was dragging his feet.

My understanding is they finally gave up and closed down, as their business had been very minimal for quite some time and the entire facility was beyond dated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    As it was originally, and the largest screen was *huge*, not sure of the capacity but it was probably pretty close to what the Continental and Westwood held, saw "Reds" in the big one and stood in line for hours for the premiere of "Empire Strikes Back" there (also showed in the big one).
    I also saw Empire Strikes Back there as a (young) kid, and also stood for hours. IIRC we had to stand through at least one full showing (and my dad spoiled the ending for everyone in line as we were leaving). The good old days. I definitely prefer the more modern theaters, and the increased comfort, but it is a shame to see these old theaters dying out (especially one with the history of Northpark) so agree with others it would be great if someone could save it and do something with it (maybe a boutique theater of some type).

For the longest time, Northpark, Quail, French Market and Shepherd Mall were the best multi-screen theaters.

And back in the late '70s and early '80s where long lines were common for blockbusters, it was always nice to be able to wait inside a mall.

Blog Entries

^I recall going to French Market and Shepherd Mall a lot! How times have changed in that regard!

Obviously the developers and AMC really knew what they were doing when they opened 24 screens at Quail Springs to replace the existing 8 at Penn and Memorial twenty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Obviously the developers and AMC really knew what they were doing when they opened 24 screens at Quail Springs to replace the existing 8 at Penn and Memorial twenty years ago.
    Bob Dillon told us way back that Times Are A Chagin. And they just keep changing.

I have it on good authority that the B&B Windsor 10 will be shuttering at the end of August as well. Really unfortunate since it was a great, clean, and well maintained "older" theatre. The manager told me that some new owners have bought the Windsor shopping center and were trying to do a major rent hike. He said that business there is generally good, but they cannot make money with the huge rent increase.

13. Default Re: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Bob Dillon told us way back that Times Are A Chagin. And they just keep changing.
    He was so close to becoming famous with this version and then Bob Dylan beat him to the punch releasing The Times They Are A Changin' the day before Dillon released his version and Dillon was never heard from again... The music business is tough!

I remember see the first Star War movie at Northpark in 1977. The theatre was pretty much 1st class, for the time period. We had to sit on the front row and star up at the screen. Went back a few weeks later and got a much better seat.

Right, but they also kept Northpark going and I believe it was because they hoped to bring it up to modern standards but gave up on dealing with the mall owner.

i honestly thought they had been closed for awhile.. and didn't know they were still open until now...

17. Default Re: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

Is there now another foot-in-mouth moment at the Oklahoman? They are now "Breaking" that North Park mall owners want to refurbish and reopen the theatre.

Seems this should have all been just one story, complete with the closure and impact to the owners new intention vs. the choppy reporting we have with the closed for good then oh wait - now we'll meet with the owners after they've read the news about the closure. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Right, but they also kept Northpark going and I believe it was because they hoped to bring it up to modern standards but gave up on dealing with the mall owner.
    Yes, hard to believe the AMC 24 has been open for 20 years. I cant remember exactly when Quail Twin closed. It would be a real shame if the space at Northpark were converted to something else. They seemed to do decent business. Personally, I kinda liked the fact it was outdated.

Or did they have four screens at Quail? I want to say French market was two screens and Shepard mall was four?

Or did they have four screens at Quail? I want to say French market was two screens and Shepard mall was four?
    They were all twin theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Is there now another foot-in-mouth moment at the Oklahoman? They are now "Breaking" that North Park mall owners want to refurbish and reopen the theatre.

Seems this should have all been just one story, complete with the closure and impact to the owners new intention vs. the choppy reporting we have with the closed for good then oh wait - now we'll meet with the owners after they've read the news about the closure. ....
    If the current owner was truly interested in a renovated theater, why on earth would they not come to terms with AMC?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    He was so close to becoming famous with this version and then Bob Dylan beat him to the punch releasing The Times They Are A Changin' the day before Dillon released his version and Dillon was never heard from again... The music business is tough!

Haha,true story

Blog Entries

I looked at movies there a few weeks ago to take my kids, but they didn’t have a big selection of kid movies at the time. I wouldn’t mind a nice family theater where people won’t care if your kids can’t sit still for an entire movie and might ask questions at times.

That or a nice theater showing independent movies and such.

Yes, hard to believe the AMC 24 has been open for 20 years. I cant remember exactly when Quail Twin closed. It would be a real shame if the space at Northpark were converted to something else. They seemed to do decent business. Personally, I kinda liked the fact it was outdated.
    It really is. My first job was at AMC Quail Springs 24. They opened December 18, 1998, replacing the AMC Memorial Square 8 just across Penn. I worked there in the very early 2000's, when I turned 16. As for the Quail Twin, it shut down in September of 1989 - according to this article from the Daily Oklahoman.

Thread Information