Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OKC Public Schools Headquarters

Default Re: OKC Public Schools Headquarters

Would be nice to see the landscaping up against the road and the sidewalk against the building in the last rendering. Other than that this looks solid and hopefully will be a positive thing for OKC public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The property was purchased for $2.3MM in MAPS funds.

The remainder of the $11MM budget to expand and renovate is from TIF funds.
    Why again is about 80% of this project's cost coming from TIF funds? Seems like a higher number percentage-wise than we have ever seen.

I would rather see TIF funds go towards public projects such as schools and what not than to private developers...

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Why again is about 80% of this project's cost coming from TIF funds? Seems like a higher number percentage-wise than we have ever seen.
    I think this is a "make nice" gesture since the TIF funds are being diverted from schools in the first place. The TIF folks are throwing OKCPS a bone so that the next time they want a new TIF the school district plays nice and doesn't raise a stink. Totally different circumstance than with private developers.

You might say it is the least they can do.

I think in the past TIF $$ has gone to Emerson High School and Capital Hill High School, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I would rather see TIF funds go towards public projects such as schools and what not than to private developers...
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    I think this is a "make nice" gesture since the TIF funds are being diverted from schools in the first place. The TIF folks are throwing OKCPS a bone so that the next time they want a new TIF the school district plays nice and doesn't raise a stink. Totally different circumstance than with private developers.

You might say it is the least they can do.

I think in the past TIF $$ has gone to Emerson High School and Capital Hill High School, IIRC.
    I see. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The property was purchased for $2.3MM in MAPS funds.

The remainder of the $11MM budget to expand and renovate is from TIF funds.
    Do schools pay ad valorem taxes? How does a public school get TIF financing? Do you know how this works?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Do schools pay ad valorem taxes? How does a public school get TIF financing? Do you know how this works?
    Schools do not pay property tax.

TIF #2 (the main downtown TIF) has put aside a large amount in their budget for OKCPS because the TIF generally hurts them by redirecting property taxes to these incentive programs.

The rub is the district has to spend the money within the geographic boundary of the TIF, such as John Rex and now this project.

So this isnt a TIF really, since there is no incremental taxes (ad valorem) to finance this. Its really just a gift. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand schools take this biggest hit when new increases in ad valorem go to the developer rather than school district, but on the other hand this is straight up a $8 or whatever million gift just because it will be a school owned building. Guess its a very round about way of making the school whole in the TIF world

It seems almost like a bribe.

--OKCPS--say nothing about our gravy train and we'll toss you a couple bones.

I'm hoping one of the missions of the Gazette will be to educate the public about TIF money. I'm not completely against it, but we're using it now for things far afield from the Skirvin restoration.

Work has started on this project:

Can we get an update on the old Public School Administration Building at 8th & Western? What will end up happening to this and when?

Did they ever make a decision on the "wavy bank"? I've seen a trackhoe parked right in front of it for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Did they ever make a decision on the "wavy bank"? I've seen a trackhoe parked right in front of it for weeks.
    They want to relocate it to anyone who will pay to have that done.

Foundation taking shape for new addition:

Blog Entries

Not sure if anyone else has noticed of late, but the wavy roof thing has been heavily vandalized of late (spray paint). Weird how it wasn't touched for years, even before the construction fence went up, but suddenly it's SO bad. Haven't been able to get a pic, sorry.

Pete,

Have you heard anything about the fate of the wavy drive thru structure?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete,

Have you heard anything about the fate of the wavy drive thru structure?
    They are trying to find a buyer who would relocate it.

They tore down the wavy drive-thru structure today.

People are not happy, especially the volunteer group that just spent hours cleaning graffiti just a couple of weeks ago.

This is from shawnw:

Blog Entries

So I guess there wasn’t enough support that someone would actually pay to preserve it.

From the Okie Mod Square FB Group:

From the Oklahoma City Foundation for Architecture: On the subject of the wavy bank.... this email came in at 6:21 this morning. Poor form for OKCPS.... waited until the morning it was to be demolished.
    Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:21 AM
    To: okcarchitecture@cox.net
    Cc: Carrie Jacobs <ccjacobs@okcps.org>; Gloria Torres <gtorres@okcps.org>; henryokcpsboard@gmail.com; Jace Kirk <jmkirk@okcps.org>; Mann Mark <mhmann@okcps.org>; Paula Lewis <plewis@okcps.org>; Rebecca Budd <rlbudd@okcps.org>; Ruth Veales <rrveales@okcps.org>; Sean McDaniel <smcdaniel@okcps.org>; Beth Harrison <baharrison@okcps.org>
    Subject: Re: Letter of Intent to Lease - Wavy Bank Structure
    Hello Melissa,
    OKCPS places the highest priority on the safety of our students, families and staff. After a lengthy period of internal discussion and after analyzing the safety risks associated with keeping the wave roof structure located at 5th & Classen in place, the District has determined that the best course of action is to remove it
    The District after thorough and thoughtful consideration for safety & security reasons rejects both the "Draft" Letter of Intent and the "Draft" Lease Agreement you have submitted.
    Thank you for your interest in the wave roof structure.
    Scott Randall
    Chief Operations Officer I Oklahoma City Public Schools

This is extremely concerning. Between this and the city jail it is clear the city has no concern for preservation or the demoralization surface parking brings to an area. What changes have occurred at city hall to see this shift back to demolishing historic structures for surface parking? It seemed not long ago everyone was in agreement about the harm this type of action caused to the health of the city.

Thread Information