Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuy's

Large Chain Chuy's

In the past, I've gone straight off of manager's of other restaurants so I'm not doing that anymore. This time I went straight to the VP of Real Estate and Development Michael Hatcher and asked him if there was any chance there would be a Chuy's in the OKC area ever and got the response below. For those of you that don't know, Chuy's is a Tex-Mex place in Texas (and a couple of other states). Some may not think it's the greatest place in the world, but it's head and shoulders better than Ted's.

"Mike,

My brokers are looking at potential sites in OKC for Chuy's. I don't have anything nailed down at this point, so it will probably be early 2012 before I have one open.

Thanks,

Michael"

http://www.chuys.com

2. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

We need this why? How many Mexican restaurants do we need?
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    Shoulda known the first reply was gonna be somebody bitching. You can't do anything without someone crying like a school girl anymore. If you don't want more Mexican restaurants, buy up all the land so they can't build them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82
    Shoulda known the first reply was gonna be somebody bitching. You can't do anything without someone crying like a school girl anymore. If you don't want more Mexican restaurants, buy up all the land so they can't build them.
    lighten up, francis... it was suggested that maybe okc has plenty of mexican food options already. agree or disagree, it's a point that is at least worthy of discussion. i don't think anybody intended to diss your favorite pick. -M

Chuys is better Tex-Mex than many but it is NOT the be all end all. I have eaten at several and they are good but I am not going to get all bubbly about them. Now if Blue Mesa was to arrive you would get my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    Chuys is better Tex-Mex than many but it is NOT the be all end all. I have eaten at several and they are good but I am not going to get all bubbly about them. Now if Blue Mesa was to arrive you would get my attention.
    Agree. I also think Mi Cocina would do well.

7. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82 View Post
    Holy crap, dude. I'm not "bitching." Chill. It's the holidays. We have a plethora of Mexican and Tex-Mex establishments that are quite good. I don't see why we need another chain like On The Border in the area. But, if you like it, that's fine.

For the record, I adore Mexican and Tex Mex food. Ask Midtowner. I have eaten at a lot of local and chain establishments offering this cuisine, some good and some bad. I just didn't see anything on Chuy's menu that made me want to go there. Wooooo another steak burrito. Didn't see the big deal.

This made my day! I love Chuys! I used to eat there all the time when I was on business trips to Houston! I was a regular! They are ten times better than Ted's! It is true Tex-Mex!

Great news. We always stop at one in Dallas, Waco, or Austin on our trips back to the Hill Country. Love their queso and fish tacos.

Shoot. Y'all be talkin' up Tex-Mex. I dinna notice which forum and thought maybe the lil' guy was gonna open for a Chelsea show.

I'll go brood somewhere else.

Chuy's is average, MOR Tex-Mex. Almost without exception, national or regional chains truck their major ingredients from frozen warehouses. That's why El Charrito ruled and El Chico drools.

FYI: if you're in Dallas sometime, make time to go to Mia's on Lemmon Ave just west of Wycliff. Best Tex-Mex since El Charrito on Paseo. Also, I'm keen to try the Tex-Mex in Chickasha that was discussed on another recent restaurant thread.

Buen provecho!

12. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

Because Chuy's is a fillion times better than half the crap served up in OKC considered Tex Mex.

Just go to Abel's Mexican Restaurant.. You'll never want to eat anywhere ever again

14. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Because Chuy's is a fillion times better than half the crap served up in OKC considered Tex Mex.
    And that is a matter of opinion. Food is like art: it's subjective. If the OP likes it, and you like it, then Chuy's can be happy with that. I'm not going to be knocking down their door, though, because there are so many places to go for that sort of thing.

15. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

And that is a matter of opinion. Food is like art: it's subjective. If the OP likes it, and you like it, then Chuy's can be happy with that. I'm not going to be knocking down their door, though, because there are so many places to go for that sort of thing.
    Whoopty freaking doo. Your own loss.

16. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

Whoopty freaking doo. Your own loss.
    I think it's kind of funny how defensive people get over a restaurant. It may be my loss, but somehow, I think I'll manage to go on living...

I think it's kind of funny how defensive people get over a restaurant. It may be my loss, but somehow, I think I'll manage to go on living...
    Me too. The best Mexican places are the mom and pop one stop restaurants and Chuys ain't it.

Yep, I have Chuy's all around me here in Austin and have never been impressed by the place. I haven't chosen to go to one in years, only been on happy hours since trying it a few times after first moving here seven years ago. The food is just average at best to me, better than some and not as good as many others.

19. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

Complete apathy toward your ignorant opinion does not constitute being defensive of Chuy's.

20. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

Complete apathy toward your ignorant opinion does not constitute being defensive of Chuy's.
    So, am I supposed to do some sort of happy dance to the chain restaurant gods every time one comes the OKC way? I'm not excited about any of the chain burger places coming our way, or any of the fried chicken places, so why should I be all excited about this one? What makes Chuy's so special, OKCMallen, since you are so into the place?

Now, if Rick Bayless decided to do a Mexican restaurant here, I'd be allllllll over that.

What makes Chuy's so special, OKCMallen, since you are so into the place?
    What bandnerd said, care to express an intelligent thought or offer inapproproate platitudes?

Chuy's will be in OKC in the near future. They are opening in Tulsa soon. They already have a building which will be remolded so it should speed up things.

23. Default Re: Chuy's in OKC

I'm still upset that Casa Bonita disappeared. Childhood memories destroyed forever. I mourn it daily.

This is awesome! I used to go to Chuys twice a week when I worked in Houston and Austin!

Quote Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
    Chuy's will be in OKC in the near future. They are opening in Tulsa soon. They already have a building which will be remolded so it should speed up things.
    Where are they opening in Tulsa? I know there is a Mi Cocina opening there pretty soon. I could see Mi Cocina opening in OKC or Norman in the near future. It's a great place, upscale Mexican, with multiple locations in the DFW area and one opening in Houston.

Thread Information