Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    Homeland became a watered down version of Safeway the day they arrived in Oklahoma. As a kid I remember Safeway had the best donuts, cakes, cookies, pies and who could forget Cragmont Soda. My parents started shopping the one that was at 89th and Penn the day it opened until Homeland took over. The day Homeland arrived, it all went away. Then to top it off the prices went up and my parents switched from there to Buchanans.
    Homeland didn't "arrive", it was a group of Oklahoma Safeway managers who bought the stores and facilities that Safeway was selling due to debt load and the collapse of the (junk) bond market when Michael Milken was indicted. Safeway was selling entire regions (including Austin and Houston) to satisfy the debt and ended up closing stores/facilities in entire cities where they couldn't get buyers. If the Oklahoma Safeway group had not bought the chain, more than likely all the Safeway stores would have closed in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    Homeland became a watered down version of Safeway the day they arrived in Oklahoma. As a kid I remember Safeway had the best donuts, cakes, cookies, pies and who could forget Cragmont Soda. My parents started shopping the one that was at 89th and Penn the day it opened until Homeland took over. The day Homeland arrived, it all went away. Then to top it off the prices went up and my parents switched from there to Buchanans.
    One thing good grocery stores have, in my opinion, is an excellent selection of pre-prepared meals and deserts. That is great for me as a single person if I don't want to cook and its far healthier than going for fast food. Stores like Harris Teeter, H-E-B, and Kroger are great in that department. In OKC, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Uptown Grocery, and Buy For Less on NW Expressway are the only stores that have that amenity.

That Buy for Less actually has a good selection of those too. I actually like their sushii.

WM Neighborhood Market on Rockwell and Hefner also has some pre-prepared items.

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    ^ Nice seeing you over here,

It would be a godsend if Kroger came in. It would be awesome to have some central markets come in. Food is a huge issue with me and OKC. I just can't stand all the craplands, walmarts, and targets.

Well, I am disappointed that Aldi hasn't gotten to OKC yet...

Quote Originally Posted by purpledice42 View Post
    Where have you been for the past several years? They are at NW Hiway and Rockwell and also on N Penn just south of Memorial, to my knowledge, and probably also on the south side of town (which I don't get to much any more). The one at NW Hiway and Rockwell has been there for quite a long time; I can't remember just how long but at least three years...

Quote Originally Posted by purpledice42 View Post
    Aldi has been in OKC since the 1990s.

I haven't been in an Aldi since 1994 but back then they were dirty and sold lots of expired goods. That kind of ruined my opinion of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I haven't been in an Aldi since 1994 but back then they were dirty and sold lots of expired goods. That kind of ruined my opinion of them.
    They are much better now. Still not a pristine store but acceptable especially if younger and funds are low.

I live two miles from Aldi.
    Went in there one time.
    That was enough for me.

I've been to Whole Foods more times than that.
    And Sprouts (if that is still what it's called) even more frequently.

Homeland is good for almost anything I can consider cooking.
    The run-down, ghetto, Buy For Less is really my go-to choice.

Everytime I go there it is like a Celebration of Diversity.
    (and not just in regard to the offerings on the shelves!)

Jim,
    It was there before I retired, May 2004. I stopped in there I think in the late 90's.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    The one at NW Hiway and Rockwell has been there for quite a long time; I can't remember just how long but at least three years...

If you're going by your opinion of them from 1994 and it ruined your impression of them, imagine if you were out-of-town and applied that same standard to Oklahoma City?

Crest Foods announced on their facebook page that they will open the Norman store on November 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Crest Foods announced on their facebook page that they will open the Norman store on November 18th.
    I have heard rumors that the next location is going to be Yukon or Mustang.

I wish Crest would show the Northside some love and build a fresh market somewhere.

I have heard rumors that the next location is going to be Yukon or Mustang.

I wish Crest would show the Northside some love and build a fresh market somewhere.
    It might have more to do with space than "showing love". They have a location at NW 23rd and Meridian, Hefner and Rockwell and a store in Edmond on 2nd street if I remember correctly. I would love for them to buy out the Albertson's on Expressway and MacArthur, tear it down and build a fresh market there.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    It might have more to do with space than "showing love". They have a location at NW 23rd and Meridian, Hefner and Rockwell and a store in Edmond on 2nd street if I remember correctly. I would love for them to buy out the Albertson's on Expressway and MacArthur, tear it down and build a fresh market there.
    That would be a great location. That Homeland looks like it was once pretty nice but is now deeply neglected. A Crest Market would be a home run there. I also think somewhere in the vicinity of Belle Isle would be a good spot to give Wal-Mart some competition. I would say downtown if they would be willing to build an urban format.

I like the Edmond Crest. It is almost as good as a fresh market. The Hefner and Rockwell location is very small.

HangryHippo Guest

That would be a great location. That Homeland looks like it was once pretty nice but is now deeply neglected. A Crest Market would be a home run there. I also think somewhere in the vicinity of Belle Isle would be a good spot to give Wal-Mart some competition. I would say downtown if they would be willing to build an urban format.

I like the Edmond Crest. It is almost as good as a fresh market. The Hefner and Rockwell location is very small.
    I think a Crest Market would actually be a homerun on the site of the current Homeland at 18th (?) and Classen or somewhere in Midtown on one of the empty lots.

That's because it too once was a Homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I think a Crest Market would actually be a homerun on the site of the current Homeland at 18th (?) and Classen or somewhere in Midtown on one of the empty lots.
    Would that be a big enough lot though? Crest Fresh Markets being built today are pretty decent sized. I personally think a two story Crest or Uptown Grocery would be cool for downtown somewhere.

That Homeland at 18th and Classen needs to be torn down and reconfigured anyways. A smaller, possibly two story Crest would go really well there and would serve the people of Heritage Hills, Mesta Park and Gatewood with a quality grocery store that area has needed for a while. We live at NW 21st and May and travel to Sprouts for our grocceries, but would definitely rethink it if something nicer were in this area.

HangryHippo Guest

Would that be a big enough lot though? Crest Fresh Markets being built today are pretty decent sized. I personally think a two story Crest or Uptown Grocery would be cool for downtown somewhere.
    Probably not if it's configured the same as all the others. But as Warren posted, it could be reconfigured when built and would probably do quite well there. It would certainly start to pull more people just based on the location if it was cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Probably not if it's configured the same as all the others. But as Warren posted, it could be reconfigured when built and would probably do quite well there. It would certainly start to pull more people just based on the location if it was cleaner.
    Agreed. There is no reason people who live in the core should have to drive to the Belle Isle Wal-Mart. If there was a quality grocery store at 18th and Classen I think it would serve the fast-growing inner-city population well.

They should put a two story Crest or Uptown Grocery in that stop. I am not sure Homeland would sell it though. Chances of getting an Uptown Grocery in Midtown are probably more likely.

The Safeways that I know of in California are much better than crapland. There is just no comparison...
    Wish we had Kroger and HEB central market. Give us a trader joes and a Costco while you are at it and I'll be a happy camper.

I noticed around the country Safeway has either moved out of or demolished and rebuilt the OKC former Safeway's Homeland occupies. They building some pretty interesting concepts with a parking garage concept with parking on one level store on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    The Safeways that I know of in California are much better than crapland. There is just no comparison...
    Wish we had Kroger and HEB central market. Give us a trader joes and a Costco while you are at it and I'll be a happy camper.
    I really don't think OKC has any hope of immediately seeing a national chain come into the market and build the type of stores many would like to see. Homeland folding or getting bought out would be the optimal solution. Without that or a change in the liquor laws, the best we can hope for is slow expansion of Uptown Grocery and Crest Fresh Market.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    They are much better now. Still not a pristine store but acceptable especially if younger and funds are low.
    The new one in Stillwater draws a lot of business.

I really don't think OKC has any hope of immediately seeing a national chain come into the market and build the type of stores many would like to see. Homeland folding or getting bought out would be the optimal solution. Without that or a change in the liquor laws, the best we can hope for is slow expansion of Uptown Grocery and Crest Fresh Market.
    Costco is already coming, and TJs is likely on the horizon (weren't they scouting OKC recently?).

Thread Information