Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Laboratory OKC

Default The Laboratory OKC

The Laboratory OKC will be OKC's first high end sneaker boutique/consignment shop. I'm pretty excited about this one opening up, as in the past there haven't been many "legitimate" sources for this type of product in Oklahoma. It's opening October 15th, in Midtown. I believe they are taking the space on the corner of 11th and Walker under the ramp to the parking garage. Behind McNellies and Irmas. (1145 N Walker?)

Either way, wanted to get the word out. As a collector, I'm glad somebody is finally putting something like this together, in a "legitimate" retail space. Midtown restaurants/bars have been getting my money for a good while, but now I might have a reason to also shop retail there as well.

Default Re: The Laboratory OKC

Yes, they will be taking the new space that was created under the parking ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    The Laboratory OKC will be OKC's first high end sneaker boutique/consignment shop. I'm pretty excited about this one opening up, as in the past there haven't been many "legitimate" sources for this type of product in Oklahoma. It's opening October 15th, in Midtown. I believe they are taking the space on the corner of 11th and Walker under the ramp to the parking garage. Behind McNellies and Irmas. (1145 N Walker?)

Either way, wanted to get the word out. As a collector, I'm glad somebody is finally putting something like this together, in a "legitimate" retail space. Midtown restaurants/bars have been getting my money for a good while, but now I might have a reason to also shop retail there as well.

This is EXCELLENT news, I've had great luck on a few pairs of shoes (Red Octobers, Don C Jordan 2) and have had to ship them to a consignment shop in Cali to resale them. I don't trust the online sites so it will be great to have a local shop to take some of my rare finds.

I hope this store is successful, when I tried to sell my Red October Yeezy's here in OKC no one was willing to pay what they were selling for online. But I shipped them to Cali and was able to get what I was asking. But again, those were very rare finds. Can't wait to shop here and consign some of my collection

They are now open.

Hours are noon to 8P.

I went to the grand opening on October 15th. Small space, but on the day to day operation they will not need much space. Now when they get exclusive releases and or apparel that is normally only found online, they will need to figure out a system to accommodate the lines. Great get for OKC, and I hope it has staying power. I was able to pick up some addidas NMD's that never released in Oklahoma and are now selling for $400 plus online.

Stupid question probably...do sneaker collectors wear these or just keep them "mint in box" like, say, Barbie dolls or the like?

I went into the store a week ago. I highly recommend checking it out. It is definitely not my thing, but very interesting to see all the different styles.

Some of the shoes looked like they had been worn before while others looked new.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Stupid question probably...do sneaker collectors wear these or just keep them "mint in box" like, say, Barbie dolls or the like?
    All collectors are different like any other highly sought after product. For me, I wear my shoes unless I plan on selling them. There were only 2 pair of shoes I haven't worn (Red October Yeezys and Don C Jordan 2). I ended up selling those. But all others I wear.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post

I would guess that it varies. For a good return on your investment, they would definitely be untouched/unworn. (Deadstock.) I would say I have close to 300 pair, that have never been worn. But then again..I wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of them, as most of the big movers/highly sought after shoes are the farthest thing from my particular style of dress. (I don't wear "basketball/athletic" type shoes...yet, the majority of my collection includes that type of shoe.)

You had mentioned, keeping them in the box like "Barbie Dolls," and I would have to assume that the comment was made in jest...but there is a significant difference, in how the particular product goes to market. Barbie dolls, Beanie babies, baseball cards, or whatever negative connotation you were trying to convey, are collected by people with the hopes that someday 50 years later, they can sell their keepsakes at a garage sale or flea market, for a profit. Hoping that even though kenner or whoever the toy manufacturer is made 900,000 of a particular Barbie doll...that it will be worth something someday.

These shoe manufacturers, are now producing shoes, in limited quantities where it creates an immediate demand, with extremely short supply. Often times, shoes are only sold in a handful of locations around the entire Country. (Maybe 4 or 5 locations.) Those that are lucky enough to live in New York or LA, are typically the ones who have access to these releases. They are then sold, and resold over and over again, often times, for 3x or 4x the original MSRP. Ever hear the stories of people fighting, or getting stabbed after waiting all day in line for some air Jordans? Its because a lot of these people that don't have jobs, or don't have a lot of money, can spend 2 days camping in line, for a new shoe release, if their lucky enough to grab a pair...they can turn around and make enough money to pay their bills for a month or two...off of the profit they made by buying the latest/greatest limited edition shoe. (With zero risk.) Unlike "Barbie dolls," like you stated, there is a legitimate market, and these shoes are an established commodity.

If I asked any of you the value of a barrel of oil, most of you would log on to Bloomberg or CNBC and check the ticker. Why? because it shows live transactions where buyers and sellers agree on a price. There is security in knowing where assets such as oil, wheat, sugar or now "collectible shoes" trade repeatedly. As more trades happen, more people get more comfortable with price and liquidity and feel it is safe to make a 'bet'.

When you go to NewYork or L.A. there are hundreds of these sneaker "Resell" shops, as they are BIG business. But, "The Laboratory" in OKC, is really our first legitimate said shop. There have been many other attempts, and there are several shows that set up quarterly/monthly here in OKC....but the atmosphere hasn't always been the greatest. (For me atleast... Some questionable characters, and shady dealings.) I was very excited about the opening, and had really hoped that the Laboratory was going to bring something fresh to OKC, without all the baggage and problems that typically come with the sneaker "culture." But from what I've heard so far in its 10 short days of existence, and from my one short interaction in store......it simply isn't the case. (More of the same.....just with a rented space.) However, I hope these guys have great success!

It's pretty funny to act like shoes and sneakers are any less goofy than barbies and beanie babies to people who do not collect them. How much are the most expensive shoes? A search on google seems to show that shoes are not even in the same ballpark as the dolls:

Most expensive barbie: Stefano Canturi Barbie $300,000
    Most expensive sneaker: Gold-Dipped Nike Dunks $5,405

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    It's pretty funny to act like shoes and sneakers are any less goofy than barbies and beanie babies to people who do not collect them. How much are the most expensive shoes? A search on google seems to show that shoes are not even in the same ballpark as the dolls:

Most expensive barbie: Stefano Canturi Barbie $300,000
    Most expensive sneaker: Gold-Dipped Nike Dunks $5,405
    Good talk! Great research!

I wasn't trying to position one more important then the other, but they are different commodities in how they are exchanged. Yes, that's awesome that a jewelry manufacturer produced 1 Barbie...and auctioned it off for a good cause for $300,000. If I was a Barbie collector...that would definitely be the Pinnacle of the game!

Let's please not go down this road...

Back to discussing this store, please.

Filthy, sorry to be late to the game. Just now reading this post. First off, thanks everyone for the explanations. My question was sincere.

As to the Barbie reference, it was *completely* innocent. I simply remembered many years ago when they first started coming out with the "collectible" versions of Barbie dolls, hearing/reading that one should keep them "mint in box" if one wanted them to retain their value as a collectible. I was curious if that was the case for shoes as well. Nothing more, nothing less. It's funny how the written word gets misinterpreted sometimes (Nic's Diner thread, cough, cough).

Thread Information