Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Innovation Link

Default Re: Innovation Link

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    IIFC the 2017 GO Bonds were not bundled; a bond issue package consisting of 13 separate bonds, you had the option to approve all or choose separate propositions. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
    I think you just corrected me. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have been around this area a lot the past week and no way should they even considering removing a lane and in fact an 8th lane in the form of a bus only lane/right turn lane should be added. Sidewalks are still missing in parts. Another possibility is the new lane could also be on street parking during the nighttime hours. BRT would work well for this corridor and could eventually extend north/south/west to integrate with other BRT routes. Pedestrian bridges should be added in certain places over Lincoln with ped signals removed and more overhead signage added.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I have been around this area a lot the past week and no way should they even considering removing a lane and in fact an 8th lane in the form of a bus only lane/right turn lane should be added. Sidewalks are still missing in parts. Another possibility is the new lane could also be on street parking during the nighttime hours. BRT would work well for this corridor and could eventually extend north/south/west to integrate with other BRT routes. Pedestrian bridges should be added in certain places over Lincoln with ped signals removed and more overhead signage added.
    We should all just abandon homes and live in our cars. Highways as far as the eye can see.

What do you do, PlutonicPanda? I can only assume you own a concrete or asphalt company. /s

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    We should all just abandon homes and live in our cars. Highways as far as the eye can see.

What do you do, PlutonicPanda? I can only assume you own a concrete or asphalt company. /s
    Right because reinforcing my belief that this road should be kept at six lanes means we should all live in our cars and abandon our homes. Or was your hyperbole in response to my addition comment that would added a bus route and encouraged mass transit and create a more walkable corridor?

Right because reinforcing my belief that this road should be kept at six lanes means we should all live in our cars and abandon our homes. Or was your hyperbole in response to my addition comment that would added a bus route and encouraged mass transit and create a more walkable corridor?
    In response to the suggestion we widen the 6 lane road which was never meant to be a highway.

In response to the suggestion we widen the 6 lane road which was never meant to be a highway.
    The widening is for a bus lanes. Did I not make that clear? Are you suggesting that 6 lane roads are meant to be highways? There are hundreds and hundreds of roads widened to six lanes around the country that were never meant to be highways. Why wouldn't the capital of Oklahoma not be on a highway? We're fortunate it is near an interstate, but NE 23rd and Lincoln absolutely should be highways. Routings are important.

The widening is for a bus lanes. Did I not make that clear? Are you suggesting that 6 lane roads are meant to be highways? There are hundreds and hundreds of roads widened to six lanes around the country that were never meant to be highways. Why wouldn't the capital of Oklahoma not be on a highway? We're fortunate it is near an interstate, but NE 23rd and Lincoln absolutely should be highways. Routings are important.
    I was really just making a tongue in cheek comment about suggesting Lincoln be widened, for any reason. No sweat bud. I do disagree that it is a good idea to have a state capitol complex sitting on a highway, but we don't need to debate that here.

What do you think of the new proposals for the area?

I was really just making a tongue in cheek comment about suggesting Lincoln be widened, for any reason. No sweat bud. I do disagree that it is a good idea to have a state capitol complex sitting on a highway, but we don't need to debate that here.

What do you think of the new proposals for the area?
    The only reason I suggested keeping it at six lanes is preemptive traffic congestion relief. Though 4 lanes could work at the moment, it would definitely make travel times longer through the Innovation District area. I am looking down the road(no pun) as I believe this will become a very busy street one day. With a renovated and used Lincoln Center open it should give more life to northern end of Lincoln.

I suggest an extra lane as a bus lane removing traffic lane is a shortsighted move, IMO. With on street parking added in this lane after day hours, this would alleviate some parking issues that might arise with the future capitol plan renovations with the parking lots being removed and turned into green space which I like.

I like the proposals though I wish they were more ambitious. If a full cap of I-235 isn't feasible, then they should take steps to ensure it can happen one day. I really liked the bridge having buildings over it and now it will be another park which I am not sure will get as many people to walk over it as a developed bridge would. It is better than what is there obviously. I also would like to see ROW preserved for an Adventure District rail line going through this area and allow that project to become shovel ready when funds are found. Looks like no consideration is given to possible rail line which the low density nature of this area could easily be planned before it gets dense.

What are your thoughts?

Oh and another idea I would like to see become a reality is the freeway access ramps to 235 removed in Deep Deuce between Harrison and Fourth. This area could be developed or become park space.

*6th and Harrison become a roundabout

*Loop ramp removed below GE Center for development of land

*long term planning to reconfigure Lincoln to directly connect when the inevitable reconstruction and redesign of I-235/I-40/I-35 mega-interchange happens. When this happens in 2-3 decades the removed ramps I proposed can be made up with new connections here. Until then traffic can use the new BLVD, Lincoln, and/or braided ramps at 13th st. added.

*Sheridan extend NE and connecting with Phillips.
    *Multi-use trail running in the middle and sides of Lincoln BLVD with pedestrian bridges in certain places

*P180 style reconstruction for the entire area with road diets where warranted

*Connecting 5th and 6th streets to Lincoln

*Demolition and redesign of the Oklahoma School of Mathematics for a more efficient use of land space

*Get ready for this one... widening of I-235 to 8 lanes

That pretty much sums up my infrastructure wish list for this area.

Pete do you have any updates on this underrated project?

11. Default Re: Innovation Link

Overrated you mean.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

completely middle-rated if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlvarezK View Post
    Pete do you have any updates on this underrated project?
    It's morphed into a scaled-down MAPS 4 project.

Nothing will happen until if/when MAPS 4 passes in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's morphed into a scaled-down MAPS 4 project.

Nothing will happen until if/when MAPS 4 passes in December.
    OKC and scaled down, can you name a more iconic duo?

We had a golden opportunity to fully cap the highway, extend the canal through the COOP property and the Wheeler District, and dedicate 1/2 a B to an elite aquarium next to The Scissortail Park.

Instead, we've seemingly settled for a large dose of AOC style handouts and low impact, underfunded projects which will neither raise the profile of the City nor provide a meaningful ROI to the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    We had a golden opportunity to fully cap the highway, extend the canal through the COOP property and the Wheeler District, and dedicate 1/2 a B to an elite aquarium next to The Scissortail Park.

Instead, we've seemingly settled for a large dose of AOC style handouts and low impact, underfunded projects which will neither raise the profile of the City nor provide a meaningful ROI to the taxpayers.
    You see the addition that Atlanta is putting in their aquarium? What makes you think OKC's would be even marginal compared to it, let alone elite?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    You see the addition that Atlanta is putting in their aquarium? What makes you think OKC's would be even marginal compared to it, let alone elite?
    It doesn't need to be better than Atlanta's. Anything close to $500M would put it in the top 5 nationally.

But, I agree, those bike lanes and new street lights will be so awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post

AOC? Surely a New York freshman member of Congress didnt get referenced in a OKC Maps discussion, did she?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    AOC? Surely a New York freshman member of Congress didnt get referenced in a OKC Maps discussion, did she?
    I think she invented “handouts” last year. You didn’t hear?

P.S. Everyone make sure to use “handouts” when referring to people in poverty and use “investments” when discussing corporate welfare, bailouts, loopholes, and regressive taxation. /s

Yeah, such a weird and unnecessary turn in discussion. Very misguided and unfortunate on chucks part.

Blog Entries

Thought I'd post this recent video about the the ten best highway lids in the US:

^^^
    Cool video. I remember some discussions on this board about the lid/development in Columbus, Ohio as a reasonable model for OKC.

Blog Entries

He did another lid video:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

[/center]
    I really wish they could've kept this plan instead of just widening the 10th Street bridge a few feet. Love the city, but some of the planners really do cut to the smallest dollar they can possibly pay. I'm willing to bet that they would've just expanded one side of the bridge if they felt they could get away with it publicly.

Blog Entries

Maybe starting with the widening of 10th can lead to more if it is well executed and received

Thread Information