Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's Club

Large Chain Sam's Club

As we were first to report way back in January of 2014, Sam's Club will be building a 140,000 square foot new store on the northwest corner of N. May Avenue and I-44 / 39th Street Expressway. This is the location of the former Lynn Hickey Dodge.

This area of NW Oklahoma City is seeing a lot of attention from retailers of late, with Winco Foods purchasing a site less than a mile to the west, and OnCue Express set to construct a new location just a few blocks to the south.

4-29-14: Purchased the 13.8 acres for $6.3 million
    5-12-14: Building permit application for 140,000 square foot structure
    3-20-15: Building permit finally issued
    3-25-15: Application to move two construction trailers onto the property

Default Re: Sam's Club to 41st & N. May

That is a good, central location. Much better option than I-40, north Penn, NW Expressway, MWC, or north of The Wall (Edmond).

I still argue access and exit points along I-44 Frontage Rd. toward Drexel. That stretch of May is going to be horrendous traffic wise but I do agree that it is a great interior location.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I still argue access and exit points along I-44 Frontage Rd. toward Drexel. That stretch of May is going to be horrendous traffic wise but I do agree that it is a great interior location.
    Good idea. Access point behind the Shell station. Which makes me wonder, how happy are they going to be about a Sam's gas station popping up next door?

In looking at what was provided to the Planning Commission, it appears that there will be good access from 39th.

Quote Originally Posted by amaesquire View Post
    Good idea. Access point behind the Shell station. Which makes me wonder, how happy are they going to be about a Sam's gas station popping up next door?
    Probably going to have to lower their prices to compete. The glass shop and the O'Reilys on the east side of May should be happy about this. Business should go up with the new influx of customers in the area.

More and more Wal-Mart. I really doubt OKC will ever be able to support stores like Costco or a major national grocery chain. It seems like every new retail development in this town is Wal-Mart centered. Unbelievable.

Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

Here is a site plan and aerial (not sure of area in pink; may be separate development):

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    More and more Wal-Mart. I really doubt OKC will ever be able to support stores like Costco or a major national grocery chain. It seems like every new retail development in this town is Wal-Mart centered. Unbelievable.
    Seems to me that Costco needs to get off their ass then and put in a store to compete. Walmart/SamsClub is adding more stores as they see a need for it and apparently the economics support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Seems to me that Costco needs to get off their ass then and put in a store to compete. Walmart/SamsClub is adding more stores as they see a need for it and apparently the economics support it.
    Or to keep Costco and other retailers out... If Steve's sources are correct, Costco will not build a store sandwiched between two Sam's Clubs. They pulled out of the Memorial development after the Edmond Sam's Club was announced. If Wal-Mart blankets the metro with Sam's Clubs, there will never be a Costco here.

The lack of choices here, thanks to Bentonville, is absolutely apalling.

Will the Dakota Financial building on the I-44 frontage road west of May be demolished? Can't tell from the site plan (not enough resolution).

Or to keep Costco and other retailers out... If Steve's sources are correct, Costco will not build a store sandwiched between two Sam's Clubs. They pulled out of the Memorial development after the Edmond Sam's Club was announced. If Wal-Mart blankets the metro with Sam's Clubs, there will never be a Costco here.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of mind blowing products does Costco sell that you can't find at Wal-Mart/Sam's Club?

When did they say they pulled out of the Memorial development??

bcrhis keeps repeating that like it's fact, and it's absolutely not.

Besides, I assure you that Costco frequently goes in between and very near Sam's all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of mind blowing products does Costco sell that you can't find at Wal-Mart/Sam's Club?
    I don't like supporting Wal-Mart in any way and I avoid them if I can at all help it. My reasons for that have been hashed out by myself and numerous people time and time again, but to sum it up Wal-Mart represents capitalism at its worst.

The lack of choices here and fugly suburban retail developments, thanks to Bentonville, is absolutely apalling.
    Has nothing to do with Bentonville. If Costco is so great (and I like Costco) and such a better product, then they shouldn't be afraid to go head to head with Walmart. Look at Traders Joes which everyone is sure will be going into the old crescent location which is a couple of blocks from WF. What about CVS and Walgreens opening up across the street from each other all over the city. Those companies aren't afraid to compete. I don't buy into this crap about they won't come in because of Walmart. There are Sams Clubs all over the country and I am sure there are Sam's Clubs in markets where there are also Costcos.

I don't think Costco is worried about Sams. Looking at Costco's expansion plans, they have shifted from a majority of expansion being US stores to a higher percentage of new stores being outside the US as it is more profitable according to several of the business articles I have read.

I don't like supporting Wal-Mart in any way and I avoid them if I can at all help it. My reasons for that have been hashed out by myself and numerous people time and time again, but to sum it up Wal-Mart represents capitalism at its worst.
    Or...capitalism at its best

Costco is NOT worried about Sam's, I assure you. bchris just keeps repeating his misunderstood Steve post (which I still believe to be incorrect, even when taken in the proper context) to advance his constant, negative agenda.

Costco is coming to Tulsa and OKC no matter what Sam's does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Or...capitalism at its best
    Morally at its worst. It's immoral the way they do business.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Besides, I assure you that Costco frequently goes in between and very near Sam's all the time.
    That's what I thought. I have been working a lot and admit to not really keeping up with everything. And looks like I need to renew

Wow. First Lowes a few years back and now Sam's gets shoe-horned in an older part of town. I never thought that site stood much of a chance. That's a shot in the arm for this part of the city. That area is my old stomping ground, too bad my folks are deceased, my mom would have loved this news. It will be a traffic hassle on the access road and the northbound May left turn so close to the light on 39th.

Maybe Sam's can bring in a crane along with Tom Park and Lynn Hickey to help with the grand opening!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Yep, the two stores that were open when I lived in Austin (another has opened since in the Cedar Park area) were very close to Sam's stores, they were about a mile from each other on the same roads (South Mopac, North US-183). The Cedar Park location is about two miles from Costco. There are many more Sam's stores than Costco stores in every market that I know of, almost double the Sam's stores here in the Denver Metro area than Costco stores. Multiple Sam's stores hasn't seemed to stop Costco from locating near their competition.

Quote Originally Posted by amaesquire View Post
    I think SAM's gas is all E10. If the Shell sells no ethanol 100% gas they will do fine.

The new Sams will be more convenient for me than any of the other ones provided they stock the products I buy at Sams. Not all Sams in OKC stock the same items. Some things I buy at the Reno Sams are not stocked at the NW Expressway Sams.

And a question about Costco. Are there any Costco stores anywhere in the country that do not sell wine? I mean are they in any states that do not allow it because of their liquor laws?

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post

And a question about Costco. Are there any Costco stores anywhere in the country that do not sell wine? I mean are they in any states that do not allow it because of their liquor laws?
    Costco is speculated to be coming to Tulsa and they are also in Kansas, Colorado, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. The liquor laws aren't the sole reason they aren't here.

Costco is coming to Tulsa for sure and they are also in Kansas, Colorado, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. The liquor laws aren't the sole reason they aren't here.
    Do you have a link to Costco coming to Tulsa "for sure"?

Thread Information