Widgets Magazine

Thread: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

I’ve been on the “OEC Fiber Coming Soon” train for a year. I kind of gave up. I think the pandemic slowed their plans wayyy down.

Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I’ve been on the “OEC Fiber Coming Soon” train for a year. I kind of gave up. I think the pandemic slowed their plans wayyy down.
    I'm on the train until they kick me off. I've *got* to get away from Cox because I'm sick to death of watching my daily data to ensure I don't go over their fake cap. What's the point of the faster service if all it does is race you toward *more* charges for using up your "allotment" of data even sooner? Its insidious. It's also the first time I've admitted to myself I'd jump to ATT if they offer service without caps, and I think they do. I know OECFiber promises "no caps, ever."

I have to think common business sensibilities are going to kick in for Cox eventually, and they'll abandon caps as have many other ISP's nationwide. But I'm sick of waiting. I'm sick of Cox. I'm sick of their nickel-and-dime-you-to-death crapola. I'm sick of their idiot commercials for what amounts to home mesh wifi as if they'd discovered a cure for cancer. I'm just sick, sick, sick to death of Cox. I'm sick of their forced hardware upgrades only to let you keep a "grandfathered" plan.

I'm just sick to death of Cox, period. But, right now, with two of us working from home indefinitely, I literally have no practical, realistic alternative - I've got to have good upstream bandwidth. About the only good thing I can say about Cox Internet is "it works."

3. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I'm on the train until they kick me off. I've *got* to get away from Cox because I'm sick to death of watching my daily data to ensure I don't go over their fake cap. What's the point of the faster service if all it does is race you toward *more* charges for using up your "allotment" of data even sooner? Its insidious. It's also the first time I've admitted to myself I'd jump to ATT if they offer service without caps, and I think they do. I know OECFiber promises "no caps, ever."

I have to think common business sensibilities are going to kick in for Cox eventually, and they'll abandon caps as have many other ISP's nationwide. But I'm sick of waiting. I'm sick of Cox. I'm sick of their nickel-and-dime-you-to-death crapola. I'm sick of their idiot commercials for what amounts to home mesh wifi as if they'd discovered a cure for cancer. I'm just sick, sick, sick to death of Cox. I'm sick of their forced hardware upgrades only to let you keep a "grandfathered" plan.

I'm just sick to death of Cox, period. But, right now, with two of us working from home indefinitely, I literally have no practical, realistic alternative - I've got to have good upstream bandwidth. About the only good thing I can say about Cox Internet is "it works."
    They are a cable company that happens to have internet. You are already seeing the move away from traditional cable so they are trying to get that extra money squeezed out of internet customers, anti virus, mesh wifi networks, etc... I think it will only get worse. Unless we see a good spread of 5G or more competition like OEC.

Interesting, I have almost a 180-degree take on Cox. Only time it's gone out for me in any major (more than an hour) way was during the massive ice storm in Oct (we've lived in this house for almost 5 years). Have never hit a data cap (we don't use Netflix, etc., though, or stream anything, have enough on the DVR and DVDs/Blu-rays to last a lifetime, and thought Cox eliminated data caps during the pandemic, but maybe not), have never had to change my modem here, get great speeds both up and down, basically no problems whatsoever for almost 5 years. Pay $230-ish monthly, have HSI Preferred, Contour with DVR, but no add-on paks/channels, and phone (only have phone because I get a bundle discount and it's cheaper to have it than not, weirdly). And we're in Venice, which is an old neighborhood.

Having said that, like you, I'm sick, sick, sick of their ubiquitous commercials, but we watch 95% of TV from DVR, we'll even wait until 20 mins in to an hour show and start watching then so we can skip commercials.

But if Google or OEC fiber comes along and it's cheaper and just as reliable, I'm done w/Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Interesting, I have almost a 180-degree take on Cox. Only time it's gone out for me in any major (more than an hour) way was during the massive ice storm in Oct (we've lived in this house for almost 5 years). Have never hit a data cap (we don't use Netflix, etc., though, or stream anything, have enough on the DVR and DVDs/Blu-rays to last a lifetime, and thought Cox eliminated data caps during the pandemic, but maybe not), have never had to change my modem here, get great speeds both up and down, basically no problems whatsoever for almost 5 years. Pay $230-ish monthly, have HSI Preferred, Contour with DVR, but no add-on paks/channels, and phone (only have phone because I get a bundle discount and it's cheaper to have it than not, weirdly). And we're in Venice, which is an old neighborhood.

Having said that, like you, I'm sick, sick, sick of their ubiquitous commercials, but we watch 95% of TV from DVR, we'll even wait until 20 mins in to an hour show and start watching then so we can skip commercials.

But if Google or OEC fiber comes along and it's cheaper and just as reliable, I'm done w/Cox.
    I had less quibble with their services than their pricing. I dropped phone and TV, went to Google Voice to keep my landline (free), YouTube TV, and 300mpbs Internet. My bill was going to up to $230+ per month; I'm saving ~$70/mo now with Cox as 'Net only. That's $840/year. Can't sneeze at that.

Like I said, Cox works. I can say that much. And that's not a zero-value element. But if OEC comes along and offers symmetric gigabit for less with no data cap, it's a no-brainer. I just had to plunk down more $$ to move to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to keep my 300/30 plan, or they'd have moved me to a 500/10 plan. Can't do that.

There might be another alternative, if you like Elon Musk type stuff. Starlink might be available, you'd have to go to their website and enter your address. Kind of pricey but it gets good reviews. I've got a lake place and it's about the only way to get high speed out in the boon docks. I'm still on the waiting list.

https://www.starlink.com/

Thread Information