Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Largest Area Employers

Default Re: Largest Area Employers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Boeing was a huge get with more than 2,000 high-paying jobs.
    Pete, Boeing was a huge get,BUT, it was generated as a result of government ( Tinker). Oklahoma is a poor State, our leaders need to focus more on Job creation and retention, education etc things that will impact the overall standard of living of the citizens. People living in the State need to demand more of their leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    With Alabama getting 4,000 jobs with new auto plant, wonder why Oklahoma never seems to compete for or win relocation or new build manufacturing? This single focus on O&G is hurting the State and keeping Oklahoma poor. Maybe we should focus more on economic growth and development rather than new fast food restaurants or other relatively trivial development
    SkyWest Maintenance was a huge get too - and non oil & gas.

375 good paying jobs.

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...75-jobs-to-OKC

3. Default Re: Largest Area Employers

Boeing was a huge get with more than 2,000 high-paying jobs.
    You’re shouting into the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Pete, Boeing was a huge get,BUT, it was generated as a result of government ( Tinker). Oklahoma is a poor State, our leaders need to focus more on Job creation and retention, education etc things that will impact the overall standard of living of the citizens. People living in the State need to demand more of their leaders.
    Unemployment rate is 4.2%, about as low as it can go.

The 'poor' issues are due to improper taxation and government spending, not income.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    That looks like someone went and looked at glassdoor reviews and selected them. They couldn't even crop pictures correctly. I wouldn't put much stock into that list.
    Braum's is listed as #11. I put about as much credit to this list as I do LinkedIn's report that professionals are fleeing OKC based on the location listed on LinkedIn profiles. It's a current fad to write clickbait BS like this. It's also a current fad for HR departments to latch onto them like a lamprey and use it in their list of benefits. "We were listed #15 out of 17 of the best places to work!" "OK, but do you offer dental insurance?" "Oh, hell no...but we have a comfortable atmosphere!!!"

Unemployment rate is 4.2%, about as low as it can go.

The 'poor' issues are due to improper taxation and government spending, not income.
    Another issue that IMO puts us in the 'poor' house is health insurance, or the lack thereof. I'm not an expert but this is what I think. Where the stats gets skewed is that if you are an Arapaho, you go to the C/A hospital / Dr's office in Clinton. No insurance needed. If you are Chickasaw, then you got to the Chickasaw hospital / DR's office in ADA, and so on. It's my belief that the high numbers counted for the uninsured, are Native Americans that use their local services. I've got a N.A. friend that told me he never paid a dime for his 3 kids when they were born. Would this scenario make our state 'poor' as in health coverage ?

If you are poor, and have trouble with transportation to get to your free clinic, it isn’t really all that helpful.

What I find sad is the majority of that list is government. Let's be real, Tinker, all the universities, FAA...majority of jobs in this state are government. Then when you think about how regulated banks, healthcare, and utilities are, the government employees directly or indirectly the majority of people in this state. Considering how absolutely horrendous our state government especially is, it's not surprising when you see Oklahoma consistently in the lower level of most rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    What I find sad is the majority of that list is government. Let's be real, Tinker, all the universities, FAA...majority of jobs in this state are government. Then when you think about how regulated banks, healthcare, and utilities are, the government employees directly or indirectly the majority of people in this state. Considering how absolutely horrendous our state government especially is, it's not surprising when you see Oklahoma consistently in the lower level of most rankings.
    By your logic, every job in America is a government job. Every industry has government regulation. Some more than you would think. In basically every state, under your logic, the majority of people are government employees.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    By your logic, every job in America is a government job. Every industry has government regulation. Some more than you would think. In basically every state, under your logic, the majority of people are government employees.
    by my logic, lol.

I'm fairly certain that banks, healthcare, and utilities are leaps and bounds more regulated than Walmart.

As far as banking is concerned, since I do work in that industry, banks are considered a government contract, by definition. Any industry that is insured by the government, is considered a government contract. Since I'm guessing every bank out there is FDIC insured, that qualifies.

The government tells banks what they can and can't do in every_single_aspect of business. From how many loans we can make, to who we have to serve, to how much we can charge, how often we can charge, how new our computers have to be, how often we have to be open, and I could go on and on. The government runs the show 100% when it comes to banking. Sure the day to day may be ran by a small family, but the government has the ultimate say in everything. So yeah, we're government.

^That is the worst take of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    ^That is the worst take of all time.
    This is taken directly from the US Labor Department. Pay special attention to the last line. Sorry, but you are 100% wrong.

Is a financial institution that is covered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) or the National Credit Union Association (NCUA) with deposit insurance subject to the Affirmative Action Program (AAP) requirements under Executive Order 11246, as amended, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (VEVRAA), as amended, 38 U.S.C. 4212 and Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 503), as amended?

Yes. Financial institutions with federal share and deposit insurance are considered to be government contractors within the meaning of the regulations implementing Executive Order 11246, as amended, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (VEVRAA), as amended, 38 U.S.C. 4212 and Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 503), as amended. These three programs enforced by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) require equal employment opportunity by government contractors.

The implementing regulations for Executive Order 11246 at 41 CFR 60–1.3 have consistently defined a government contract as any agreement or agreement modification between any contracting agency and any person for the purchase, sale or use of personal property or nonpersonal services. The term “nonpersonal services” includes, but is not limited to, the following services: utilities, construction, transportation, research, insurance, and fund depository. This definition thus explicitly includes agreements for insurance.

The implementing regulations for VEVRAA and Section 503, found at 41 CFR 60–250.2, 60–300.2 and 60–741.2, respectively, also define a government contract as any agreement or agreement modification between any contracting agency and any person for the purchase, sale or use of personal property or nonpersonal services. Like the Executive Order regulations, these regulations also state that the term “nonpersonal services” includes, but is not limited to the following services: utilities, construction, transportation, research, insurance, and fund depository. Therefore, financial institutions with federal share and deposit insurance are considered to be government contractors.

Link for reference:
    https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compl...qs/juristn.htm

So by that definition Boeing is the government. Come on. You're being ridiculous.

Well, Boeing did just ask the government to tax a competitor at ridiculous rates so they wouldn't have to actually compete, and the government caved faster than a mantis shrimp's fighting claw. And it looks like Zuplar isn't posting opinion, so. Not really the hill I would choose to die on.

Zuplar is posting an opinion. His opinion is that if you are a government contractor, you are the government. That is not accurate. I also work in the banking industry. We have regulations and government insurance too, but he's trying to tell me that TFCU is essentially a government operation. GTFO

The only fact that he posted is that if you have federal share or deposit insurance, then you are considered a government contractor. Being a government contractor in no way makes you the government. He's trying to convince you that the government employs a majority of people in the state because of government contracts. That's asinine.

So by that definition Boeing is the government. Come on. You're being ridiculous.
    lol.

I can tell you get worked up real easy. Do me a favor do what I did to you a long time ago after something you said that was just off the wall, and add me to your ignore list.

Today I learned that Mercy/Integris/Saints/Etc is essentially government run healthcare because of regulations.

Today I learned I was on someone's ignore list. That's awesome.

20. Default Re: Largest Area Employers

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BOEING is not government, however, their presence in OKC is directly a result of Tinker AFB Maintenance which is Government/Military. The point is OKC lacks any signiicant private sector manufacturing or technical job sources outside of O&G. OKC has back office/ support companies but has a dearth of high paying manufactuing jobs. Many OKC residents lack significant disposable income due to low salaries. OKC tax base is hampared by low property appreciation hence the need to tax people via initiatives to pay for infrastructure sustainment and/or improvement. Somewhere it was mentioned on this board that street lights are out all over the city. I will continue to say the State and the City lack competent leaders with a vision for improving the social and economic lives of its citizens, but you get what you vote for.

I don't know which thread to put this in, but is the State or City or Chamber doing anything to try to get the new Tesla Cybertruck gigafactory? Elon Musk wants it in the middle of the country, I believe, so we should at least by trying to get it here.

Quote Originally Posted by okccowan View Post
    I don't know which thread to put this in, but is the State or City or Chamber doing anything to try to get the new Tesla Cybertruck gigafactory? Elon Musk wants it in the middle of the country, I believe, so we should at least by trying to get it here.
    Someone at the state level (OK) engaged the tweet of his regarding the gigafactory and essentially said "let's talk". I know absolutely nothing about the requirements for the gigafactory but I have read a lot of rumors about it going to Austin.

Thread Information