Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Spokies

Default Re: Spokies

One of the new docking stations has been installed in front of the Ballpark. It looks much nicer than the previous one.

Quote Originally Posted by SwankBowser View Post
    One of the new docking stations has been installed in front of the Ballpark. It looks much nicer than the previous one.
    The new one is placed at Level/Native Roots now, too. I agree it looks good. Interested to try out the new bikes.

3. Default Re: Spokies

Bcycle has been doing bike share for a long time. Should be a major upgrade.

4. Default Re: Spokies

I used them in SLC a couple years ago and really wanted something similar at the time as an upgrade to Spokies. So glad we are finally getting them!

Looks like they are installing the new racks near McNellies today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160811_115036.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	6.10 MB 
ID:	12865

6. Default Re: Spokies

Good grief that solar panel is visually jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Same reaction when I saw the one next to Native Roots.

HangryHippo Guest

No kidding - that's a weird spot for that to be placed.

I'm sure the solar-driven nature of this required them to move the location to the south, because the previous location was directly east of the building and in the shadows most the day.

It really takes away from the view walking towards McNellies. It would have been cool if they could have mounted the solar panel on the top of the light poles, or something similar. Or maybe have multiple smaller panels.

11. Default Re: Spokies

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm sure the solar-driven nature of this required them to move the location to the south, because the previous location was directly east of the building and in the shadows most the day.
    I was also thinking it might be due to the way they are re-working the street level east side of the building. It looks like maybe they are continuing their recent retail conversion in that direction..?

I was also thinking it might be due to the way they are re-working the street level east side of the building. It looks like maybe they are continuing their recent retail conversion in that direction..?
    You win the Pinto!

I had just seen this submitted to the DDRC and didn't connect the dots until now... They are putting in storefronts in the old Spokies spot.

That solar panel is a lot better to see than utility wires.

How many bikes do the new stations support? The old one here could hold a maximum of 16 bikes but it looks like the new one can only hold 8...

Name:	IMG_1262.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	415.5 KB 
ID:	12869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1263.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	403.2 KB 
ID:	12870
    Deep Deuce Spokies station (from this morning).

Blog Entries

I love that it's the businesses along Walker pushing the urban street wall despite the city's refusal to do so in general.

Do we know what businesses are going into those retail spots?

A couple shots of the Automobile Alley station from this evening... avec des bicyclettes

Name:	IMG_1279.JPG 
Views:	1597 
Size:	708.8 KB 
ID:	12874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1280.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	645.7 KB 
ID:	12875

Thanks!

Those bikes look way better than the previous version, which were crazy heavy and cumbersome.

Glad to see this project get a big upgrade. Wish they would expand to Film Row.

They had discussed Film Row at one point as they called me to see if I had any objection to it being outside our office (we didn't). It has been quite a while though since that call occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks!

Those bikes look way better than the previous version, which were crazy heavy and cumbersome.

Glad to see this project get a big upgrade. Wish they would expand to Film Row.

21. Default Re: Spokies

Didn't they cite cost of implementation as one of the things holding expansion back? Then they go and replace the entire system...

If they go to Film Row, the rack should be further west IMO,

Like near the Paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Didn't they cite cost of implementation as one of the things holding expansion back? Then they go and replace the entire system...
    Those bikes were nearly unrideable. Replacing the bikes was a necessary first step. Expanding the network with the same bikes would be like adding a breakfast nook extension onto your kitchen when your existing kitchen was only a microwave oven sitting on a bare concrete floor.

Yeah, they were pretty bad.

I rented one once and only once.

Just used the Santa Monica Breeze bike share yesterday. I think the bikes were better than OKC's (geared) but the payment system was a bit wonky. You have to download an app or preload a credit card onto an account. Each bike has its own solar powered fare box that connects to a very very slow WIFI system to complete the transaction. Several bikes would not connect and eventually the 4th bike found the network. I thought the Spokie system of swipe and unlock was much better and faster.

Also due to the preloading of money into an account, I now have a credit of $8 because our total fare for renting both bikes for a half hour was only $7, not sure if I can get a refund or not. Not sure the next time I will be in that area and specifically want to rent a bike. So it really may be some time before I ever get the money back or end up using it.

Thread Information