Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio landscape in OKC

Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I wonder what they are waiting on. In the Q4 2014 ratings they are down to a 1.4 share.
    Yeah their last ratings was terrible, heck if it keeps on, KOKC and WKY will pass them.

I don't understand why they keep the Brew on the air!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I don't understand why they keep the Brew on the air!!
    Agreed. I think flipping it to anything, with the exception of another sports talk or country, would be an improvement. Sadly, I think more and more the corporate radio giants are writing off small markets, putting most of the stations on autopilot while raking in the advertising cash.

Turned The Spy on last night, heard Happy Mondays, Waterboys, and Chvrches (along with a bunch of other cool songs I didn't recognize) in the span of an hour. This is the kind of station OKC needs full-time 24x7!

5. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

^^^^^^^^^
    100% agree. Ferris is one of the best alt/indie programmers in the country.

I heard on Now 96.5 yesterday that they will soon be switching permanently to 92.9 soon. They have been simulcasting the past several months.

Does anybody know if the plan is to flip 96.5 to another sports station? Could Tyler Media try something new with the frequency?

I heard on Now 96.5 yesterday that they will soon be switching permanently to 92.9 soon. They have been simulcasting the past several months.

Does anybody know if the plan is to flip 96.5 to another sports station? Could Tyler Media try something new with the frequency?
    I hope they try something new and not flip it to sports, that is the last thing we need.

8. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

nor country.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

nor Classic Rock

Why not bring back Jack FM?? Yea I know OKC had one at one time but it had a horrible signal or maybe alternative like 102.1 The Edge out of Dallas!!
    God Yes! I listen to 102.1 The Edge on I Heart Radio all the time. There isn't a single station in OKC I can stand. I actually had to replace the radios in both of my cars so I could listen to MP3s/BlueTooth after I moved here.

Power 103.5 is the only radio station I generally can consistently listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    God Yes! I listen to 102.1 The Edge on I Heart Radio all the time. There isn't a single station in OKC I can stand. I actually had to replace the radios in both of my cars so I could listen to MP3s/BlueTooth after I moved here.
    I feel your pain. I really miss the stations in Charlotte. Even Tulsa and Wichita have better stations. OKC's radio stations sound very small townish both in variety and the way they are programmed. Fort Smith, Arkansas for instance has nearly the exact same kind of stations. The thing is it hasn't always been this bad. It seems to me there was quite a bit more variety here back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Power 103.5 is the only radio station I generally can consistently listen to.
    It's a great station, just wish they would move the antenna closer to OKC. Can't even pick it up most days in my car in NW OKC.

nor Classic Rock
    94.7 already is classic rock so if they flip it, it will likely be to something else. The good news is that iHeartMedia also already has two country stations in the market so its extremely unlikely they will go country with it.

I would say the best choices would be alternative rock or urban. Those formats are not currently represented in the OKC market and I am certain the market has the demographics to support them. Something like AC or Jack FM would still be a step up but I would really rather see one of the gaping format holes filled.

RadioInsight ? Pair Of Oklahoma City Changes On The Way

This is a slightly outdated article but last year apparently Jim Couch registered 1053theMartini.com. I really hope they flip it back from sports to the standards format. It was one of my favorite stations in OKC when it was on the air.

It also states that a new format should be coming to 96.5 once Now 96.5 fully transitions to Now 92.9. That has been known for a while now but I don't think anybody knows for sure what format will be replacing it. Rumor is that it will be another sports station but I really hope that isn't the case.

I feel your pain. I really miss the stations in Charlotte. Even Tulsa and Wichita have better stations. OKC's radio stations sound very small townish both in variety and the way they are programmed. Fort Smith, Arkansas for instance has nearly the exact same kind of stations. The thing is it hasn't always been this bad. It seems to me there was quite a bit more variety here back in the 90s and early 2000s.
    I agree Tulsa's radio is much better, The Edge has no comparison here, KMOD is much better than the KATT, KHITs is better than any of the Top40 stations (although not my kind of music). Tulsa used to have a Genx station that was quite good, then they turned it into another &*(&(ing country station, even though all of my friends and coworkers listened to it. Even KVOO (country) is better than anything in OKC.

I remember listening to The Buzz when I was in college at OSU, was very surprised when it wasn't on anymore when I moved here.

Why does the FCC allow the same frequencies to be used in OKC and Tulsa? It seems to create a lot of bleed in issues. But 92.9, 96.5, 104.5 and 105.3, and I think others repeat in both cities. I thought frequencies had to be separated by a larger distance than that.

I really hope 96.5 doesn't become sports, how many sports stations can one city have?

Why does the FCC allow the same frequencies to be used in OKC and Tulsa? It seems to create a lot of bleed in issues. But 92.9, 96.5, 104.5 and 105.3, and I think others repeat in both cities. I thought frequencies had to be separated by a larger distance than that.

I really hope 96.5 doesn't become sports, how many sports stations can one city have?
    Most of those stations are low power translators in OKC. The Tulsa stations are full power which is why you get the bleed-in. There are no full-power stations that share a frequency in both OKC and Tulsa. Tulsa has more full power frequencies because they were the dominant city in the state whenever the FCC delegated out the frequencies.

And yes, Tulsa's stations sound much more market-size appropriate than do OKC's, same with Wichita.

I mourn the passing of "real" radio, but I can't see it turning around. For $10 a month, I create and program my own "radio station" using Spotify's playlist capability. They have almost everything on-demand. That's hard to compete with when you have to interrupt everything for obnoxious car dealer advertising and disc jockeys that have outlived their purpose. Only Ronny Kaye has any real personality on the radio anymore - and he's 73 years old! Like I said, I mourn the good old days of Top 40 personality-driven radio with over-the-top contests, personalities that are truly doing a show, and pulling it all off so the commercials weren't near the distraction...not to mention there weren't as many.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I mourn the passing of "real" radio, but I can't see it turning around. For $10 a month, I create and program my own "radio station" using Spotify's playlist capability. They have almost everything on-demand. That's hard to compete with when you have to interrupt everything for obnoxious car dealer advertising and disc jockeys that have outlived their purpose. Only Ronny Kaye has any real personality on the radio anymore - and he's 73 years old! Like I said, I mourn the good old days of Top 40 personality-driven radio with over-the-top contests, personalities that are truly doing a show, and pulling it all off so the commercials weren't near the distraction...not to mention there weren't as many.
    True

When I watch American Graffiti with Wolfman Jack as the backdrop, I wonder what it must've been like to grow up in that time when DJs were celebrities in their own right.

As for playlists etc.; If you're an Amazon Prime member, they have tons of albums from all kinds of genres that are free to stream and you can make playlists from them as well. So say you're feeling nostalgic and you wanna listen to Van Halen II, it's free. Just put it in your library and you can stream the album just as if you owned it. Or if you just like certain songs from an album, you can just get those songs. It's really great.

None of the FM radio alternatives are free, with the exception of maybe bluetooth wired into your car playing your MP3 library (which most new cars have). Other than that, all of them carry a fee, plus you must have a data plan that's hefty enough for that kind of streaming. XM is $20/month and when you get down to actual cost its probably the most economical, but its still not free.

The only local radio that I listen to for music (willingly at least) is KOSU-The Spy FM. They've actually got some really good shows, Freakbeat, You're Welcome, Gold Soundz, Millions Now Listening..., OK Rock Show, Tasting Notes, Juke Joint Jenny's show. All good stuff.

None of the FM radio alternatives are free, with the exception of maybe bluetooth wired into your car playing your MP3 library (which most new cars have). Other than that, all of them carry a fee, plus you must have a data plan that's hefty enough for that kind of streaming. XM is $20/month and when you get down to actual cost its probably the most economical, but its still not free.
    I have T-Mobile and stream music services FREE. One of those T-Mobile freebies a lot of people don't know about. No video, of course, but the audio streaming from certain services do not use any data on your plan. I use Spotify and I have my entire collection on my iPhone downloaded and need no connection. You only have to sign-in to the service once per month to license your music again. But that's not even streaming. That's selected individual songs created into multiple playlists - all OFFline. It's very affordable. One is supported by subscription (Spotify and others) and radio is supported by advertising. It's a trade-off that's a no-brainer for me. MY music, no ads, my own radio station! It's connected to the car audio via bluetooth before I ever sit down and start the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I have T-Mobile and stream music services FREE. One of those T-Mobile freebies a lot of people don't know about. No video, of course, but the audio streaming from certain services do not use any data on your plan. I use Spotify and I have my entire collection on my iPhone downloaded and need no connection. You only have to sign-in to the service once per month to license your music again. But that's not even streaming. That's selected individual songs created into multiple playlists - all OFFline. It's very affordable. One is supported by subscription (Spotify and others) and radio is supported by advertising. It's a trade-off that's a no-brainer for me. MY music, no ads, my own radio station! It's connected to the car audio via bluetooth before I ever sit down and start the engine.
    I like listening to my own music at work. But in the car I prefer a good radio station so I am exposed to new music and sometimes new styles, you don't get that when you are listening to your own music. Although I know some streaming will play new music based on your preferences.

I also like some morning shows, but I have yet to find an enjoyable one here.

I like listening to my own music at work. But in the car I prefer a good radio station so I am exposed to new music and sometimes new styles, you don't get that when you are listening to your own music. Although I know some streaming will play new music based on your preferences.
    I agree with this. This is one reason I still like radio.

Most of those stations are low power translators in OKC. The Tulsa stations are full power which is why you get the bleed-in. There are no full-power stations that share a frequency in both OKC and Tulsa. Tulsa has more full power frequencies because they were the dominant city in the state whenever the FCC delegated out the frequencies.
    Sorry, I don't get how the FCC determined that Tulsa dominated over OKC, since OKC has always had bigger population than Tulsa. And given the larger population, it should follow that OKC has more full power FM stations than Tulsa. I believe it does. Tulsa has at least one translator on an OKC channel, 98.9.

Thread Information