Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1

    Default Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Johnnie's will be the newest entrant into the Moore burger/pizza/chicken lineup. They will be locating next to Dairy Queen off of Telephone in 2018.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    About time!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Do you know if this will be an Express as they have in Norman? Don’t know what the differences are, but just wondering. Either way, happy to hear.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Reported in this morning’s Land Sales in the Oklahoman, Johnnie’s sold their building at 6629 NW Expressway for $1.9 million to HPI JCB OKC LP. Wonder what prompted this? Closing the location, leaseback to free up cash, a great price?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    JCB? As in Johnnies Charcoal Broiler? Sounds to me like it might have been a somewhat internal deal, perhaps selling to a partner or different operator who intends to continue to operate it as a Johnnie’s? Considering they just sold the West concept maybe they are restructuring their operations, starting to franchise, or something else. Wouldn’t necessarily read that as the end of Johnnie’s in that location, considering the LP’s name.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    In addition to hosting a Johnnies, that NW Expressway building is also their corporate offices.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Could be a clever way to purchase dirt tax free for the new store under a 1031.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Plans are out for bid to General Contractors so work should start within a month.

    Never been to the express one in Norman but plans don't say anything about express. There are 11 table tops, 9 regular booths, and 2 larger circular booths in the main dining with an additional 4 table tops and 9 table / booth hybrids in a private dinning area that can be divided.

    Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Reported in this morning’s Land Sales in the Oklahoman, Johnnie’s sold their building at 6629 NW Expressway for $1.9 million to HPI JCB OKC LP. Wonder what prompted this? Closing the location, leaseback to free up cash, a great price?
    In regard to this it appears they are splitting the lot to make way for a Quick Service Restaurant and another restaurant (possibly new building for them).

    Johnnies.jpg

  9. #9

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Sounds like it will be an Express, which is what I prefer and is pretty standard with fast food/quick service. Order your food, pay, and then pick it up when your number is called (or go through the drive-thru).

    The Johnnie's on NW Expressway and 240 are weird to me. Go up to counter, order food, and sit down. When your order number is called and you then pay the cashier to get your food. The only "good" thing about these Johnnie's is the more relaxed environment and TV's.

    Either way, the wife and I only go on Tuesdays for half price burgers.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Have had some sub-standard (standard was Johnnie's a looooong time ago (never really ate at the Split-T), then Irma's (RIP)) Theta burgers, and Johnnie's isn't as good as it used to be, so they're not an option, but wife started poking around on Yelp about Johnnie's and found this review (and response) in the attached image (it's for the SW 74th location, even though he went to the Edmond one). Absolutely unbelievable, have *never* heard of this kind of policy anywhere, has anybody else? Pretty much guaranteed I will never eat there again, even if somebody else wants to or pays…

    Clipboard01.jpg

    And related to that - where can I get the most authentic/best Theta burger like it used to be a couple of decades ago? Patty Wagon and S&B and Johnnie's are not it, and not a big fan of the Garage's burgers (the horror, the horror), hopefully someplace else has one (that has Theta hickory sauce, not just BBQ sauce, even though the difference is minor). Someone said Johnnie’s sells their hickory sauce, but nope.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    just out of coincidence, around 3 weeks ago i happened to eat at johnnie's for the first time in over a decade. the one on I-240 and walker, in fact. it tasted the same to me as the last thirty-some years... pretty mediocre, imo. I've never been a fan of the shredded cheese they put on their burgers and the meat has always been on the dry side with little flavor besides the "charred" taste. I wouldn't say they're "bad"; I've just always felt there were better tasting options out there.

    I did happen to notice the senior prices on the wall and (if memory serves) they were around 20-40 cents off of what they were normally charging... definitely not enough to be worrying about someone taking home a (literal) doggie bag. i will say that the burger prices were pretty reasonable, though... they've crept up far less than similar restaurants.

  12. Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    just out of coincidence, around 3 weeks ago i happened to eat at johnnie's for the first time in over a decade. the one on I-240 and walker, in fact. it tasted the same to me as the last thirty-some years... pretty mediocre, imo. I've never been a fan of the shredded cheese they put on their burgers and the meat has always been on the dry side with little flavor besides the "charred" taste. I wouldn't say they're "bad"; I've just always felt there were better tasting options out there.

    I did happen to notice the senior prices on the wall and (if memory serves) they were around 20-40 cents off of what they were normally charging... definitely not enough to be worrying about someone taking home a (literal) doggie bag. i will say that the burger prices were pretty reasonable, though... they've crept up far less than similar restaurants.
    Nice to hear someone else not like the shredded cheese at Johnnie's. Overall, I like Johnnies "okay," but I can't say I'm a *huge* fan. Given a choice, for example, I'll take Garage burgers everytime. But I like Johnnie's fries better than Garage's....

  13. #13

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Nice to hear someone else not like the shredded cheese at Johnnie's. Overall, I like Johnnies "okay," but I can't say I'm a *huge* fan. Given a choice, for example, I'll take Garage burgers everytime. But I like Johnnie's fries better than Garage's....
    I really like the shredded cheese, but the actual burgers are mediocre on their best day. Their onion rings, however, continue to be my favorite onion rings.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I really like the shredded cheese, but the actual burgers are mediocre on their best day. Their onion rings, however, continue to be my favorite onion rings.
    I love the shredded cheese and that is what often times makes me seek their burger out if I am in the mood for a burger.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,689

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    The cheese is good, and they don't skimp. I like the way they do their Hotdogs too.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I really like the shredded cheese, but the actual burgers are mediocre on their best day. Their onion rings, however, continue to be my favorite onion rings.
    The cheese has always been my favorite part of Johnnie's burgers, but I heard recently (and I have no way to validate this) that they shred Velveeta cheese vs what I assumed was cheddar. That turned me off completely.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Have had some sub-standard (standard was Johnnie's a looooong time ago (never really ate at the Split-T), then Irma's (RIP)) Theta burgers, and Johnnie's isn't as good as it used to be, so they're not an option, but wife started poking around on Yelp about Johnnie's and found this review (and response) in the attached image (it's for the SW 74th location, even though he went to the Edmond one). Absolutely unbelievable, have *never* heard of this kind of policy anywhere, has anybody else? Pretty much guaranteed I will never eat there again, even if somebody else wants to or pays…

    Clipboard01.jpg

    And related to that - where can I get the most authentic/best Theta burger like it used to be a couple of decades ago? Patty Wagon and S&B and Johnnie's are not it, and not a big fan of the Garage's burgers (the horror, the horror), hopefully someplace else has one (that has Theta hickory sauce, not just BBQ sauce, even though the difference is minor). Someone said Johnnie’s sells their hickory sauce, but nope.
    https://johnniesburgers.com/order-johnnies-sauce

    There's a link to purchase Johnnies sauce.

    I had a Theta at R&J's last Sunday that was pretty good, but I don't think it was "hickory sauce". There aren't too many options out there anymore that offer Comeback sauce / Hickory sauce.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The cheese has always been my favorite part of Johnnie's burgers, but I heard recently (and I have no way to validate this) that they shred Velveeta cheese vs what I assumed was cheddar. That turned me off completely.
    that's exactly what I've never liked about it... always seemed like shredded velveeta to me.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    https://johnniesburgers.com/order-johnnies-sauce

    There's a link to purchase Johnnies sauce.

    I had a Theta at R&J's last Sunday that was pretty good, but I don't think it was "hickory sauce". There aren't too many options out there anymore that offer Comeback sauce / Hickory sauce.
    Thanks, but with Johnnie's having such a ridiculous policy, I will give them none of my money, ever, for anything. Might have to try it at R&J's, though, been there a few times, but never had a burger there (since burgers are ubiquitous, I've always ordered something that only R&J has), thx for the tip.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The cheese has always been my favorite part of Johnnie's burgers, but I heard recently (and I have no way to validate this) that they shred Velveeta cheese vs what I assumed was cheddar. That turned me off completely.
    Not sure if it can be Velveeta - has anybody ever tried shredding/grating Velveeta? I've tried with cheeses (that are actually cheese, not a "cheese product") that are almost as soft as Velveeta, and it's almost impossible. If Johnnie's does it, though, they may freeze it or something to make it easier to shred/grate.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,689

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Even when it gets to room temp, if I'm eating slow that day, it doesn't seem like Velveeta to me. It does not feel coated in cellulose like most packaged shredded cheese.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    I like the shredded cheese on the Theta burger.

    It's the only burger I get there.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    If you ask, they will melt the cheese at least.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    I believe that it is american cheese.

  25. Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Have had some sub-standard (standard was Johnnie's a looooong time ago (never really ate at the Split-T), then Irma's (RIP)) Theta burgers, and Johnnie's isn't as good as it used to be, so they're not an option, but wife started poking around on Yelp about Johnnie's and found this review (and response) in the attached image (it's for the SW 74th location, even though he went to the Edmond one). Absolutely unbelievable, have *never* heard of this kind of policy anywhere, has anybody else? Pretty much guaranteed I will never eat there again, even if somebody else wants to or pays…

    Clipboard01.jpg

    And related to that - where can I get the most authentic/best Theta burger like it used to be a couple of decades ago? Patty Wagon and S&B and Johnnie's are not it, and not a big fan of the Garage's burgers (the horror, the horror), hopefully someplace else has one (that has Theta hickory sauce, not just BBQ sauce, even though the difference is minor). Someone said Johnnie’s sells their hickory sauce, but nope.
    I can't believe that's an actual policy. How stupid. Count me out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Johnnie's
    By BBatesokc in forum Restaurants & Bars
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-09-2020, 09:12 PM
  2. Urban Johnnie
    By OKCretro in forum Restaurants & Bars
    Replies: 411
    Last Post: 09-05-2019, 09:24 PM
  3. Johnnies Charcoal Broiler coming to Moore
    By Bobby821 in forum Moore
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2017, 06:12 PM
  4. Johnnies Charcoal Broiler coming to Yukon
    By Zuplar in forum Yukon/Mustang/El Reno
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 03:10 PM
  5. Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler introduces gelato shop!
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO