Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

Default OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

And now for some bad news.... Of course the population is growing so an increase of the raw number of violent crimes would be somewhat expected, but this jump is a bit alarming:

Five weekend homicides in Oklahoma City add to year's growing count

Oklahoma City's 66 homicides so far this year already surpass the 60 homicides seen in all of 2011.

Read more: Five weekend homicides in Oklahoma City add to year's growing count | NewsOK.com

Default Re: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

I have been saying all along that we're seeing an incredible spike in violent crime in OKC. I am very worried about my grandparents who still live in Capitol Hill.

I think you broke it down earlier this year, ya know, those deaths affiliated with gangs, drugs, domestic violence & abuse, police pursing bad guys, sex trafficking, etc...

I don't think the common hard working man is going to be added to these stats unless he's either caught in the crossfire or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My conclusion is, if people are gonna act stupid (as in being a part of everything listed above), then good riddance...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I think you broke it down earlier this year, ya know, those deaths affiliated with gangs, drugs, domestic violence & abuse, police pursing bad guys, sex trafficking, etc...

I don't think the common hard working man is going to be added to these stats unless he's either caught in the crossfire or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My conclusion is, if people are gonna act stupid (as in being a part of everything listed above), then good riddance...
    Come on, every big city likes to chalk its homicides up to good riddances... that's like the biggest talking point on the local news here in Cleveland.

That's why I turn the news on at 15 after. Weather and sports. ;-)

Every now and again, a gator gets loose in the shallow end of the bad gene pool.
    Don't hop the fence and go swimming in the bad gene pool.

Well, we ARE an NBA city now... soooo.....

But, Pete, you left out the GOOD side of this coin... you would think we would also see a jump up in strip clubs, quantity AND quality.

I've been tracking this all year. We started off hard... Murdering Oklahoma City « Urban Lake Effect

Something I didn't get into in the post - many of the first 30 homicides were murder/suicides. I think we had at least three to five occurrences of that right away.

While it would be great to spend that extra cash on transit, what good is it if we can’t even protect our residents?
    Here you go.

The Death and Life of Great American Cities: Jane Jacobs: 9780679741954: Amazon.com: Books

Happy Sid?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Sid and I will discuss this at lunch on Friday, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I've been tracking this all year. We started off hard... Murdering Oklahoma City « Urban Lake Effect

Something I didn't get into in the post - many of the first 30 homicides were murder/suicides. I think we had at least three to five occurrences of that right away.
    Yeah, that's the new trend.

Sid and I will discuss this at lunch on Friday, I'm sure.
    The bottom line is, we have been going down the wrong path for 70 years. If you get a chance watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. It provides an interesting insight into just how badly things went wrong, and why. We have a lot of undoing to do.

If you get a chance watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. It provides an interesting insight into just how badly things went wrong, and why. We have a lot of undoing to do.
    A streaming version is on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post

But, Pete, you left out the GOOD side of this coin... you would think we would also see a jump up in strip clubs, quantity AND quality.
    There's a statistic I could live with lol

It seems that Southwest OKC is far ahead of other areas of town in which homicides are concentrated.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post

Little Darlin's is just a few years old, and its huge.

The bottom line is, we have been going down the wrong path for 70 years. If you get a chance watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. It provides an interesting insight into just how badly things went wrong, and why. We have a lot of undoing to do.

Is that about the housing project in St Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It seems that Southwest OKC is far ahead of other areas of town in which homicides are concentrated.
    This. Most of SW OKC used to be relatively safe, and now whenever I'd visit my grandparents I would just get a bad feeling, especially after dark. Most of SW OKC used to be just fine after dark even if S Robinson was notorious.

This happened last night two blocks from them:
    UPDATE: Name of man shot in head in southwest Oklahoma City released, pickup recovered | NewsOK.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Is that about the housing project in St Louis?
    Yes it is

Homicides 67 and 68 have been recorded...

I'm sure this will stir a few of you up, but it's kind of a away of thinning out the herd......in a lot of cases.

As the city grows in population you will have an increase in number of crimes. As long as the percentage stays neutral, there's not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    As the city grows in population you will have an increase in number of crimes. As long as the percentage stays neutral, there's not a problem.
    Are the two previous posts trying to bait people for online fights?

Are the two previous posts trying to bait people for online fights?
    I don't want to fuss, just kind of how it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I'm sure this will stir a few of you up, but it's kind of a away of thinning out the herd......in a lot of cases.
    Maybe, but a thinner herd shouldn't be our goal. We should want a better herd. Sadly, it does seem if a significant portion of our poplation might be beyond saving, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Thread Information