Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Anyone know if they have the roof on the patio fixed?

Have a patio show Thursday night and it it looks to be wet and cold.
    Not yet but was told it is still in the plans, attempting to accommodate the existing trees.

2. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not yet but was told it is still in the plans, attempting to accommodate the existing trees.
    So I probably better take my rain gear for this one.

Completely baffles me how it's been open for over two years, but no roof yet.

A roof was never part of the original plan.

Only after the patio became such a big deal did they start to consider how to make it fully weather-proof.

As it is, they have greater heaters and misting units and lots of the seating areas are covered.

A roof was never part of the original plan.

Only after the patio became such a big deal did they start to consider how to make it fully weather-proof.

As it is, they have greater heaters and misting units and lots of the seating areas are covered.
    Did not know that about the original open-ness, makes a bit more sense there's not a roof now. Still think they should just take the trees out (replace with something smaller) or prune them and put a regular roof in, because allowing for trees to grow "through" the roof is just unnecessary complication/expenditure/future maintenance.

^

They considered all of that and have decided to spend extra money and work around the trees. They are pretty great.

^

They considered all of that and have decided to spend extra money and work around the trees. They are pretty great.
    Yeah, they're nice, and maybe I'm a bit biased because we've spent 3 years now pulling out and replacing plants/trees that the previous owners planted at our house that are either invasive, or just aren't sustainable or viable, so my trigger finger on trees is a bit itchy now. However, I'd still bet that maintenance-wise, the roof built around the trees will be more work than they're expecting in the future, with more moving parts that can break down and cause problems. Owning a home has made me realize that the simpler the solution, the better...

8. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Well this is great news.... They moved the Thursday night Lucero show to The Yale Theater.... So now I get to see the remodel. Last time I was in the Yale was about 20 years ago for a Mid-South Wrestling show.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Well this is great news.... They moved the Thursday night Lucero show to The Yale Theater.... So now I get to see the remodel. Last time I was in the Yale was about 20 years ago for a Mid-South Wrestling show.
    That's awesome for Capitol Hill. The renovated Yale is impressive and I'm glad more people will get to see it.

So what's up with their bookings? Not that I plan on going back anytime soon due to their bad sound, but they only have two shows listed - Robert Earl Keen's Countdown to Christmas on 12/26 (um, the 26th is after Christmas) and Grace Potter on 2/13.

Very slow time of year for concerts.

Very slow time of year for concerts.
    I guess, but Criterion has 5, Diamond has 7, and Tower has 23 shows booked for the same period (not counting Ponyboy), though.

^

None of those places are full-time, all-day restaurants. Plus, they do private events.

Jones has never booked a ton of shows.

They have installed their retractable roof.

Was told it will be removed most the time but can provide shelter when it rains and help keep the heat in during the winter months.

These last few months must have been a good time to get that installed.

Blog Entries

So does this mechanically retract or do they have to get up there and remove each panel when they want it "retracted"? Sorry it's just not super obvious (also sorry if this was answered).

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    So does this mechanically retract or do they have to get up there and remove each panel when they want it "retracted"? Sorry it's just not super obvious (also sorry if this was answered).
    Manual and they can retract any or all of the panels.

Blog Entries

Sorry, but to clarify, is it manual in that they have to go up there?

Sorry, but to clarify, is it manual in that they have to go up there?
    I think they have to go up there.

Blog Entries

Love that they did it. Wouldn't want to be the one having to go up there to open it.

Love that they did it. Wouldn't want to be the one having to go up there to open it.
    I wouldn't want to be the guy on that 20 foot ladder in Pete's first pic, especially with a lift just footsteps away!

I wonder if those panels nest, they don't look incredibly heavy so 2 guys could probably go up and lift them up and move them to one side and stack them?

really cool this should be great for that outdoor space

23. Default Re: Jones Assembly

I had lunch with one of the engineers that designed it (I believe it was 360 engineering in town), and was surprised that it was not going to be automated. The cost difference was huge though, and it will most likely be used as a semi-permanent cover vs. opening/closing often due to weather.

Right, it wil be off the huge majority of the time.

When they have a concert and it looks like rain, they have a few hours to put it in place.

I imagine they will leave it on for the winter months.

I don't think it will be a situation where they are frequently taking it on and off.

Blog Entries

Will be interesting to see how it withstands a storm season

Thread Information