Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

I think I'm going to look into the passport card option. Kind of annoying since I only fly about once a year or so, but what can you do.

Perhaps the governor could set aside a day for us to pray for an extension.

Blog Entries

This is just one more example of an ignorant legislature having their ill conceived laws overturned. Their record is abysmal and we should be tired of their stupidity. Vote them out and get legislators who actually understand what their real responsibilities are. Their loyalty should be to Oklahomans and not the tea party nonsense.

We should all be tired of being identified on a national stage by these backward hicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This is just one more example of an ignorant legislature having their ill conceived laws overturned. Their record is abysmal and we should be tired of their stupidity. Vote them out and get legislators who actually understand what their real responsibilities are. Their loyalty should be to Oklahomans and not the tea party nonsense.

We should all be tired of being identified on a national stage by these backward hicks.
    I'm pretty sure everyone who voted that law back in 2007 is out of office. And hey, considering we're in the company of states like California and New York (plus 30 or so others) I'd say we're in pretty decent company.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm pretty sure everyone who voted that law back in 2007 is out of office. And hey, considering we're in the company of states like California and New York (plus 30 or so others) I'd say we're in pretty decent company.
    No, we still have plenty of tea partiers still trying to instill their personal desires on the rest of us, regardless of the illegality. We keep paying to defend the indefensible created by the tea party... the same ones defending Trump. Guess family values don't matter as much as power and the possibility of trying to impose your personal ideas on others. Our legislature purports to support the constitution, but only support THEIR view of the constitution. It's like choosing select bits of the Bible to support a narrow interpretation and hoping the general audience isn't smart enough to know how it is out of context. The tea party is severely damaging our state.

No, we still have plenty of tea partiers still trying to instill their personal desires on the rest of us, regardless of the illegality. We keep paying to defend the indefensible created by the tea party... the same ones defending Trump. Guess family values don't matter as much as power and the possibility of trying to impose your personal ideas on others. Our legislature purports to support the constitution, but only support THEIR view of the constitution. It's like choosing select bits of the Bible to support a narrow interpretation and hoping the general audience isn't smart enough to know how it is out of context. The tea party is severely damaging our state.
    Take that to the politics forum. None of that has anything to do with the wide spread, and bipartisan opposition to the Real ID Act. Read the ACLU's position on it, as well as many other groups. This doesn't belong here.

I'll even make it easy..

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy-...nal-id/real-id

Because of these problems, many states oppose the use of Real ID, and it has not gone into full effect. The ACLU has joined with these states to support the repeal of the law.

Blog Entries

Take that to the politics forum. None of that has anything to do with the wide spread, and bipartisan opposition to the Real ID Act. Read the ACLU's position on it, as well as many other groups. This doesn't belong here.
    This thread is about this action and our legislature once again being on the wrong side...the side backed by the tea party, including its libertarian sect. We have had a long time to actually find a way to compromise and we don't even do that until forced to do it. We have a backwoods sense of arrogance in this state.

This thread is about this action and our legislature once again being on the wrong side...the side backed by the tea party, including its libertarian sect. We have had a long time to actually find a way to compromise and we don't even do that until forced to do it. We have a backwoods sense of arrogance in this state.
    And it must be stressed again that Oklahoma is NOT the only state in this situation, as much as it may bother some of you to think otherwise. And again, there are viable solutions for people who may find themselves in a situation. So, the sky is not falling.
    And as someone who knew/knows several of the heavy hitters from the grassroots who helped defeat REAL ID back in 2005, your comments are cheap insults and not worth another word.

I hadn't made any follow up comments since jerry's well placed request to move any specific opinions to the politics section but your last two posts have been a little off the mark.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Even easier:
    The Real ID Act of 2005 requires states to standardize driver’s licenses across the nation into a single national identity card and database. While it is ostensibly aimed at improving driver’s license security, its actual effect is to turn those same licenses into national ID cards by stipulating that state driver’s licenses and state ID cards will not be accepted for “federal purposes”—including boarding an aircraft or entering a federal facility—unless they meet all of the law’s numerous conditions.

If fully implemented, the law would facilitate the tracking of data on individuals and bring government into the very center of every citizen’s life. By definitively turning driver’s licenses into a form of national identity documents, Real ID would have a tremendously destructive impact on privacy. It would also impose significant administrative burdens and expenses on state governments, and it would mean higher fees, longer lines, repeat visits to the DMV, and bureaucratic nightmares for individuals.

Because of these problems, many states oppose the use of Real ID, and it has not gone into full effect. The ACLU has joined with these states to support the repeal of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Global entry works great too, includes TSA precheck, expedited customs, is good for 5 years and a few credit cards will even pay for it. Otherwise it's $100 for 5 years.
    Thanks for the heads up on chase sapphire covering it.

This reeks of Big Brother. It would have all data that says you are you stored on it. Not only that but the information would probably also be stored on servers somewhere. That will make it easier for people's identity to be stolen because the information will inevitably be hacked. And if you think that just because it's on a government server that it's safe, think again.

Guess I'll have to get a Colorado license soon...

14. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Like it or not, Big Brother or not, it's happening. So we can either piss and moan about it and all go out and get passports to fly through freaking DFW, or we can get off our assbackward butts in the legislature and get this fixed. I've got a passport already, so i dont give a crap. But after more than 10 years, the feds haven't change anything and we're still in the same spot. No one is going to win/lose an election on this...we care more about the upcoming alcohol bill than this. So get off it and make our licenses work guys.....

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    or we can get off our assbackward butts in the legislature and get this fixed
    Did you just come in and post this or did you bother reading the thread?

It's not an Oklahoma thing, it's not a left/right thing, it's not an OK legislature thing. There's only about 15 states in the union that are in compliance. The vast majority of the country is out of compliance with it because they don't agree with it. The tea partiers don't like it and the ACLU doesn't like it. How many times are those two on the same side of an argument?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    This reeks of Big Brother. It would have all data that says you are you stored on it. Not only that but the information would probably also be stored on servers somewhere. That will make it easier for people's identity to be stolen because the information will inevitably be hacked. And if you think that just because it's on a government server that it's safe, think again.
    You do realize that practically all states already do this, right? Driver's license data is already stored on government servers, and it's been this way for years. The only difference is right now it's on state government servers.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

If you have a drivers license, pay taxes and have any kind of credit everything about you is aleady on several servers all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    If you have a drivers license, pay taxes and have any kind of credit everything about you is aleady on several servers all over the place.
    Or even have a bank account. Banks share your banking history details to bank report companies that operate similar to credit report bureaus. There's no reasonable expectation of privacy in any form today.

Any concerns over this shouldn't be storage of information on servers. That's out there. IMO there are 3 areas of concern -

1. The potential for a future requirement of RFID or similar technology. Right now the Real ID act is ambiguous on what technology has to be included on the card that contains your info. So while it currently allows magnetic strips, that could change one day. I dislike the idea that all my personal information could be on a device that could be access at a short distance (say logging me automatically when I walk through a door - or by a police officer without my permission).

2. The cost to the state to implement. There is a much higher verification requirement and validation that must be done by states to issue real ID certified ID's, and there's going to be an expense.

3. The additional paperwork/PITA for lots of folks, finding all the required documents they need to get to a real ID. Since I've always renewed my DL on time, I haven't had to locate most of the required paperwork I'd need for a Real ID in about 20+ years.

Something that could be seen as a benefit or a consequence, depending on ones personal views - the Real ID act could severely impact illegal residents.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    You do realize that practically all states already do this, right? Driver's license data is already stored on government servers, and it's been this way for years. The only difference is right now it's on state government servers.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that your SSN is store on your driver's license. A real id would put all of this information in one place making it incredibly easy for hackers to have all the information they need on several million people. It would be a one stop shop for hackers.

The real ID has to contain the following information -

Full legal name
    Signature
    Date of birth
    Unique identifying number (so like the driver's license number)
    Principal residence address
    Front-facing photograph of the applicant

However, to get a real ID you have to provide the following documents -

A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate
    Documentation of birth date
    Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
    Documentation showing name and principal residence address

Digital images of each of those have to be stored at the state DMV database.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that your SSN is store on your driver's license. A real id would put all of this information in one place making it incredibly easy for hackers to have all the information they need on several million people. It would be a one stop shop for hackers.
    You're correct - my reply was perhaps too hasty. My intent was to convey that all of the data that your driver's license currently displays is also stored digitally, both in the PDF417 barcode on the back of the license, and on state government servers. (Exception: the PDF417 barcode does not encode your signature or picture; those are stored by the State, however)

Sweet gorilla of Manila,

So the point is: the federal govt. won't let you fly or enter their property without a passport or a compliant state ID. You bicker back and forth all you want about big brother. But the fact is ALL PASSPORTS have had RFID chips with all your information on them for quite some time. I remember I was issued one of the last old coded books back around '04 or '05. Now they all have the rigid covers and the chip embedded. The passport cards come equipped as well with a magnetically shielded sleeve to protect it from being read against your will or otherwise tamped with. Those are good for travel anywhere in US, Canada, and Mexico.

Sooo, why are you arguing? You'll need big brother in your pocket to fly, either in the form of a passport or compliance state ID, or just take the bus with a cash ticket and your tin foil hat. Personally I don't mind carrying the passport card. I can just snag it when I fly. I say that now, but the first time I forget to bring it to the airport. I will be @&$!ing livid.

It costs $50 when renewing your passport FYI. Not a lot of mo st when I bought it to travel to Mexico and Canada and not risk losing my real passport book. But if I had to shell $50 to fly domestic because my $25 state ID wasn't compliant and my state had 9 years to fix the issue...yeah I'd be pissed. And I sure as heck don't want to risk losing my passport book. Lose a few of those and you'll find yourself on a special list when traveling.

So I guess you gotta ask yourself. Do you want to carry a card that has shared info on it (far less info that any teller at your bank could write on a post it when you phone in to access your account, hello, Wells Fargo??) all the time? or just when you fly? Because that passport information goes through every database there is, and every country you visit. And are you gonna be mad when you miss your plane because you forgot to bring that other card that you had to pay $50 and wait 6 weeks for? Wait how many states don't have IDs? Let's make that 32 weeks wait.

It feels like another case of states acting like brat kids organizing a senior ditch day. They must figure if enough states opt out that the federal government will be forced to push back the deadlines or ditch the program all together. And in the end the fed wins and the Oklahoma citizens end up paying the costs.

I think the anti-big government, right wing hard liners have to look at the silver lining here. This will make it even harder for minorities to vote!! Burn! was this not supposed to get political? That was a funny, no but seriously, joke!

24. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Did you just come in and post this or did you bother reading the thread?

It's not an Oklahoma thing, it's not a left/right thing, it's not an OK legislature thing. There's only about 15 states in the union that are in compliance. The vast majority of the country is out of compliance with it because they don't agree with it. The tea partiers don't like it and the ACLU doesn't like it. How many times are those two on the same side of an argument?
    No i did not just join this, i've been watching for some time now. Yes i know that several states are arguing against it as well. Fat lot of good its done too. About half of the original "complainers" already switched over to compliance. There are several that are pending action that will cause them to go INTO compliance as well. So the list you see of 15-20 states is not as long as you think it is. Most of this is about the back end, not the actual license itself. We are one of the few places that actually put a law on our books to prevent us from going compliant.....that's ass backwards and an exercise in wasted time. There are some things that simply are not state rights, and for good reason. This is one of them.

The ACLU does a great job of voicing concern on all kinds of things. Sometimes they take things to a ridiculous level so just by saying they are involved in fighting it, does not make me magically agree with them. On this one, i am in total disagreement.

But thanks for showing that you are full of your own opinions and love to discount others without any knowledge of what they know.....nice.

The real ID has to contain the following information -

Full legal name
    Signature
    Date of birth
    Unique identifying number (so like the driver's license number)
    Principal residence address
    Front-facing photograph of the applicant

However, to get a real ID you have to provide the following documents -

A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate
    Documentation of birth date
    Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
    Documentation showing name and principal residence address

Digital images of each of those have to be stored at the state DMV database.
    Might as well stick to a passport card that lasts for 10 years vs a drivers licence that last for four years and its pretty easy to renew a passport. Do you have to provide all that documentation the first time you get a real ID or is that every time you renew. It will be pretty ridiculous if it is easier to renew a passport than it is a real id DL every 4 years.

The cost of having to upgrade the IT infrastructure is the main reason Oklahoma hasn't adopted Real ID. A DL will cost more than 25 dollars once Oklahoma goes to Real ID.

Thread Information