Widgets Magazine

Thread: North Tulsa Church awarded grant to study removal of I-244 in Downtown Tulsa

Default North Tulsa Church awarded grant to study removal of I-244 in Downtown Tulsa

"I-244 Partial Removal Study in Tulsa, Oklahoma North Peoria Church of Christ (Tulsa, Oklahoma) Planning RCP Award: $1,600,000 Estimated Total Project Cost: $2,000,000 Funds will be used to support the planning study of the partial removal of I-244, which bisects the Greenwood neighborhood and acts as a physical and social barrier between the predominately Black community in North Tulsa, historic Greenwood Avenue, and downtown to the south in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This project will support a feasibility study for removing a section of I-244 in the Greenwood District, as well as establishing a community land trust to, according to the application, "facilitate long-term redevelopment of the parcels in a way that benefits Greenwood and North Tulsa residents, in particular residents who had their home unjustly acquired below market value through eminent domain." The application provides a compelling depiction of how a historic Black neighborhood in Tulsa suffered the punishing effects of urban renewal and the building of I-244. The application has clear community support and 20 support letters. "

Source

Default Re: North Tulsa Church awarded grant to study removal of I-244 in Downtown Tulsa

Of interest to me is the fact that USDOT chose one of the community led applications instead of the joint app submitted by ODOT and City of Tulsa, which you can see more about here. There was also another competing community application from the "Greenwood Coalition Planning Committee". Lots of different opinions it seems on what to do about I-244

OKC also submitted 3 different applications for different projects; "City of Oklahoma City - I-44 Pedestrian Bridge at Woodson Park Planning Grant", City of Oklahoma City - I-44 Pedestrian Bridge at Southwest 24th Planning Grant" and "City of Oklahoma City - I-240 Pedestrian Bridge Planning Grant"

Default Re: North Tulsa Church awarded grant to study removal of I-244 in Downtown Tulsa

Would this possibly result in I-444 being eliminated/renamed as I-244 in this area?

removing this section of 244 should be a non starter ..

It will be. It isn’t happening. It needs to a motherf@cking tunnel. Why that isn’t it proposed asides from money is beyond me.

Tulsa could always build a poorly planned boulevard that cuts through their downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It will be. It isn’t happening. It needs to a motherf@cking tunnel. Why that isn’t it proposed asides from money is beyond me.
    a tunnel here would be great but would be very very expensive ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JulyWalks View Post
    Would this possibly result in I-444 being eliminated/renamed as I-244 in this area?
    Those Interstate designations are all in flux anyway with US-412 becoming an Interstate highway.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    a tunnel here would be great but would be very very expensive ..
    I think Oklahoma could do it cheaper than other places

Quote Originally Posted by JulyWalks View Post
    Potentially, but the IDl is not a good place for large vehicles. You see one or two flipovers every month. I could see I-244 using the new gilcrease as an alignment but I am sure the US-412 (future interstate) will also use the north leg of the gilcrease. Lots o questions to be answered alongside and this is why a study is needed. Even if no work ever gets done

removing this section of 244 should be a non starter ..
    Why do you say that?

There are a few routes which can act as future detours for US-412 and I-244.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    Why do you say that?

There are a few routes which can act as future detours for US-412 and I-244.
    because of how much traffic is carries on a daily basis.. it would be similar to saying that 44 should be eliminated between 40 and where lake Hefner parkway starts ... or 44 from 40 south to 240 ..

because of how much traffic is carries on a daily basis.. it would be similar to saying that 44 should be eliminated between 40 and where lake Hefner parkway starts ... or 44 from 40 south to 240 ..
    I-244 on the north of the IDl carries 63,000 AADT and is a distance of just over a mile. The sections of I-44 you mentioned have 150,000 and 120,000 AADT respectively and are very much key to OKC's highway network. very different roads with different traffic.

Another thing to note is i-244 on the north leg only has 1 interchange to allow traffic into downtown and that exit has 3,000 AADT.

Source: https://okdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/V...42de11b250ef1b

I mean, the point of the grant is transparently clear when it says the intention of the study is to consider the viability of reconnecting Greenwood with downtown Tulsa. I-244 is stated to act as a physical and social barrier that bisects the community and the intention is to reinvest in the district that has been distorted over the years. Saying “removing this section of 1-244 should be a non-starter because of how many people use it” is the most useless riposte to have. The entire point of the study is for those within the community impacted by the existence of I-244, not those that might have to take one of the other freeways circling downtown Tulsa to reach their destination.

this section of 244 will also be the federal 412 Interstate conversion which is also on going ..

this section of 244 will also be the federal 412 Interstate conversion which is also on going ..
    The new interstate could use the Gilcrease Loop instead of 244. The last leg is still unfinished

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The new interstate could use the Gilcrease Loop instead of 244. The last leg is still unfinished
    Not to mention the LL tisdale parkway is a closed access highway that could also be a route. It would just need two interchanges to be rebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    Not to mention the LL tisdale parkway is a closed access highway that could also be a route. It would just need two interchanges to be rebuilt
    Or the interstate just follows the existing east, south and west legs of the IDL which make up I-444

Thread Information