Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Western Avenue District

Default Re: Western Avenue District

This is the old Weldon Jack building at the SW corner of NW 36th & Western.

They have removed the two stacked shipping containers at the south end. There are no building permits filed, so I don't know what new business will be taking over.

After 35 years, Gil's Clothing is closing at Western and Wilshire.

Last day will be March 12.

The grey and wood trim looked so much better than the white and black

4. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    After 35 years, Gil's Clothing is closing at Western and Wilshire.

Last day will be March 12.
    Dang…where will I buy my Girbaud, Diesel and Lucky Brand jeans?!

Wow. Didn’t know that place was still open. In high school that is where we all either shopped or aspired to shop. One year I got a Gil’s gift certificate for Christmas and thought I was pretty damn cool.

6. Default Re: Western Avenue District

BTW my post was totally tongue in cheek. I’m certain that Gil’s had stayed current on trends over the years and the only point I was making (if any) was that I hadn’t been there in a long, long time. Probably because *I* haven’t kept up with trends.

By coincidence I’ve lately been cleaning out closets and dramatically reducing my clothing footprint, and one thing I’ve not been able to part with is a shirt I bought there probably more than 30 years ago. I’ll never again be able to fit into it, and if I could I’d probably never again wear it in public. It’s an insane patchwork of patterns and solids; blues and oranges and other wild things. I probably never in my life felt more cool than I did wearing that hideous shirt into a nightclub circa 1989 or 1990.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    BTW my post was totally tongue in cheek. I’m certain that Gil’s had stayed current on trends over the years and the only point I was making (if any) was that I hadn’t been there in a long, long time. Probably because *I* haven’t kept up with trends.

By coincidence I’ve lately been cleaning out closets and dramatically reducing my clothing footprint, and one thing I’ve not been able to part with is a shirt I bought there probably more than 30 years ago. I’ll never again be able to fit into it, and if I could I’d probably never again wear it in public. It’s an insane patchwork of patterns and solids; blues and oranges and other wild things. I probably never in my life felt more cool than I did wearing that hideous shirt into a nightclub circa 1989 or 1990.
    I think we need a picture of the shirt. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Dang…where will I buy my Girbaud, Diesel and Lucky Brand jeans?!
    That's what I always remember, it's the place that sells Lucky jeans. I don't think I ever set foot in there, but was certainly aware of it.

9. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    I think we need a picture of the shirt. 😂
    Haha zero chance of that happening. ZERO! 😂

The former Weldon Jack building appears to be using the two overhead doors for garage space. There was a Mercedes Sprinter van there this morning. Cars in the lot - no signage.

The former Weldon Jack space on the SW corner of Western and NW 36th has been converted to offices for a cannabis grow business called Resonant.

It looks like some sort of work might be underway for old Autobahn auto repair building just north of the the building Guestroom Records is in. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    It looks like some sort of work might be underway for old Autobahn auto repair building just north of the the building Guestroom Records is in. Any ideas?
    Took these today, as I noticed it too.

No permits have been filed but the property was recently sold to The Society LLC, which is a sports marketing (and I believe sports agency) business.

The former Weldon Jack space on the SW corner of Western and NW 36th has been converted to offices for a cannabis grow business called Resonant.

You gotta chuckle a bit about all of these sophisticated-sounding naming conventions for cannabis businesses.

Resonant Cult owns the dispensary north across the street called Mosaic+ so this makes sense.

I do know Resonant Cult also has a record company called Resonant Cult Records so this building may be for that purpose...maybe a studio?
    Last edited by shartel_ave; 04-04-2022 at 03:31 PM. Reason: more info

Just learned that Weldon Jack will be moving into the old Autobahn property once the renovation is completed.

Just learned that Weldon Jack will be moving into the old Autobahn property once the renovation is completed.
    So glad that lot full of old junkers is being used for a higher purpose, way overdue.

Blog Entries

seems like a similar size and yet another renovation, wonder why move to begin with. not mad about another property getting renovated though.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    seems like a similar size and yet another renovation, wonder why move to begin with. not mad about another property getting renovated though.
    I'm sure their previous landlord asked them to move after finding another tenant (who likely was willing to pay more).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    The grey and wood trim looked so much better than the white and black
    Apparently white and black is the new in thing/look for houses too. The house across the street from me (3400 sq ft) just sold a little over a year ago ($260K) and was remodeled and turned into an AirBnB. The house was yellow brick with brown trim. The new owner had the entire house painted white including the yellow brick with black doors and trim. Even the stockade fence and bricks surrounding the flower beds in the front were painted black. I've also seen a few other smaller non brick houses in the neighborhood recently painted all white with black trim too.

^

Yep, all the flippers come along and spray the natural brick white and then paint the trim black.

Looks good for a while, but it's bad for the brick and of course, black trim is hard to maintain.

When I walk through my neighborhood, all the former flip houses are super easy to identify for this reason. There are 4-5 on my block alone.

22. Default Re: Western Avenue District

^

Yep, all the flippers come along and spray the natural brick white and then paint the trim black.
    Ahhhhh.... This explains why my fiance wanted that color scheme on the new home we are building.... She's an HGTV junky.

^

Yep, all the flippers come along and spray the natural brick white ....
    Or grey, that's the one that we see a lot of in Venice. And it's horrible that people are painting brick.

24. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Like it or not, those color schemes are getting the top prices. Gotta appeal to the masses

25. Default Re: Western Avenue District

This morning on my way to work I took Western, and around 42nd - 46th there appeared to be a very large film crew getting ready to start shooting. Any idea what this is? I assumed it was associated with the John Malcovich movie that was filming in Heritage Hills, but wasn't sure. Either way was pretty cool to see!

Thread Information