Widgets Magazine

Thread: Streetcar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I don't think it is practical to expect school children to ride mass transit to school. Some might be able to do it but it would be nowhere near a majority. I would say 1% at best. Now if the street car was to serve a University campus you might have some decent ridership from students.

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I don't think it is practical to expect school children to ride mass transit to school. Some might be able to do it but it would be nowhere near a majority. I would say 1% at best. Now if the street car was to serve a University campus you might have some decent ridership from students.
    I agree. Keep in mind that we're not talking about a high school or middle school, that won't be what MAPS for Kids builds downtown. The MAPS for Kids money is for a downtown elementary school, to be specific. I like the idea in concept, but I just don't feel comfortable having elementary school kids ride the streetcar alone, same as I wouldn't feel comfortable having elementary schools kids drive themselves home or walk a mile alone in the suburbs. I know some kids do, my dad always liked to tell me how he did it every day in the sleet and the snow and the -40 degrees (in Houston), but let's be real here.

Now if we're talking about students at the OHC, OCU Law, or perhaps even OCU eventually, yeah that could be a HUGE plus. I ride the C-Train at least once a day in Calgary, because it has a stop about half a mile from my apartment and I can ride for very little into downtown. Once I cross the Bow River and I'm in downtown I can ride for free and go about my day. It's amazing all of the diversity I see on the train.. people of all different races, creeds, occupations, ages, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I agree. Keep in mind that we're not talking about a high school or middle school, that won't be what MAPS for Kids builds downtown. The MAPS for Kids money is for a downtown elementary school, to be specific. I like the idea in concept, but I just don't feel comfortable having elementary school kids ride the streetcar alone.
    With that knowledge I guess the streetcar could still be used but with the parents taking them to school. Maybe say, dropping them off on the way to work.... or some future grocery store or something. If we want to develop a truly sustainable urban lifestyle within OKC, then we need to think urban.

Thread Information