Thread: James Cooper takes on Ed Shadid for OKC Council Seat, Ward 2

Default James Cooper takes on Ed Shadid for OKC Council Seat, Ward 2

Default Re: James Cooper takes on Ed Shadid for OKC Council Seat, Ward 2

Wow, 32 years old.

Should be an interesting race.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Should be an interesting race.
    Ed up against a Bi-racial, openly gay, college educated millennial who will probably be supported by a broad swath of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents....

What could be interesting about that?

James is a great person, first and foremost, with a passion for public service. He will LISTEN to the constituents! He will be a great new voice for OKC! So excited he's running!

It will be very interesting to see how the people of Ward 2 react to this.

I know Ed is well-liked in that Ward but of course, he also has alienated some.

I really do respect how Shadid pays attention to details and challenges the status quo. Even though some on the horseshoe just tune him out, that perspective is badly needed in City government and it would be missed if he doesn't get reelected.

The best news is that we have good candidates running for these positions -- very encouraging.

Ed asks questions, but he has lost influence on the horseshoe. It's possible to ask questions AND work with others to reach consensus. Cooper gets this. He's going to be a great councilman!

You guys are being too kind. Maybe there is a perception with some folks that Ed is simply asking questions. My observation is that a great deal of Ed's "questioning" is oriented more towards proving conspiracy theories. He has so badly badgered the other councilors, city staff and appointees, that it has shifted folks away from critical thinking into outright defensive civic boosterism.

That is unfortunate. Critical thinking, questioning, and alternative opinions are always needed when an annual 1 Billion dollar budget is at hand. What Ed has done is to alienate himself to such an extent that he does not have the influence to stimulate debate or to properly represent the folks who live in Ward 2. That is going to be very important as the next GO Bond approaches if not a MAPS 4. Not to mention the annual 1 Billion dollar budget in which respect and influence is warranted to simply get your fair share of monies to fix pot holes.

After meeting James several times, I am confident that he will bring a healthy critical eye to governance issues while harnessing respect from the other councilors. We don't need a conspiracy theorist representing the broader urban area of Oklahoma City. We need someone who can capitalize on this city's renaissance and expand the successes made downtown into the broader urban fabric. Ward 2 needs an actual leader, not a conspiracy theorist.

Shadid rubbed me wrong from the get-go. Lot's of folks I respect on this board jumped on the bandwagon, but I've never seen anything besides a smarmy self-important naysayer that had no interest in constructive progress. He came against everything with a bunch of paid talking heads that hadn't spent any time in OKC and were clueless in a local context. Never once did I see any seriously considered alternative offered by him as a solution, only sloppy criticism from hired guns with no skin in the game. Sorry Ed, sit the hell down.

Serious questions do need to be asked...but for the right reasons...

Ed seems to ask questions in a tone that elevates himself as the sole authority, and that he stages his questions to make himself appear to be the smartest man in the room.

He seems to ask questions like a lawyer would -- like he already knows the answer but is poking and prodding to get the answer he wants to prove his point. We do not need that level of divisiveness and negative tone. City council needs to work together to achieve a common goal of progressing OKC forward. We do not need to have every council meeting be some court-like trial, where Ed is assuming the role of the prosecuting lawyer, the judge, and the collective voice of the jurors.

We need someone who asks questions because they want to learn and educate others in the process. Not ask questions for the sole purpose of holding trial at city council meetings.

I've met James several times, and am very excited to see he his running. He will be a welcome change and breath of fresh air to the Ward 2 seat on City Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    You guys are being too kind. Maybe there is a perception with some folks that Ed is simply asking questions. My observation is that a great deal of Ed's "questioning" is oriented more towards proving conspiracy theories. He has so badly badgered the other councilors, city staff and appointees, that it has shifted folks away from critical thinking into outright defensive civic boosterism.

Ward 2 needs an actual leader, not a conspiracy theorist.
    I'm with Urban Pioneer on this. His tendency toward conspiracy theories is what really hurts him in my eyes. I can disagree with a politician on issues and still appreciate what they say and, many times, still vote for them. I've spoken with Shadid on several occassions and just can't shake the sense that he thinks he knows "the real truth they don't want you to hear." Also, his opposition early in his campaign to the the streetcar didn't help.

I'd like to meet with Mr. Cooper first, but if he's as sharp as I've heard, this Republican will be ready with my checkbook to support him in that race.

I contend that much of what Ed voiced concern about with the convention center process is true and we will be wishing we had paid attention sooner. Do you really believe that power politics doesn't exist in OKC? It is true that big money and big oil have most of the influence in this city, no?

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    I contend that much of what Ed voiced concern about with the convention center process is true and we will be wishing we had paid attention sooner. Do you really believe that power politics doesn't exist in OKC? It is true that big money and big oil have most of the influence in this city, no?
    Respectfully, a lot of the questions about the convention center were asked here before Ed even went on Council. Those of us who ACTUALLY VOTED in the MAPS election asked them. Unfortunately, Ed didn't even bother voting in that election.

All cities have powerful interests. But that doesn't mean voters don't hold sway. We voted for MAPS III because we thought it was better for the city. I'm sure you could find at least one or two projects that didn't excite the voters. We don't get everything we want.

As for the Convention Center, I think it will be good for an aspirant city to have a quality convention center. Does that excite me? Not really. But it will be good to have -- not only to host better and more interesting conventions -- but also to have a nicer facility for our citizens to use.

Is it the be-all, end-all when it comes to economic development? Of course not. But that doesn't mean it will not be a valuable asset. It will. Hosting events like the National Conference of Mayors, or a party convention, or something high profile like even a gamer convention would be very cool for our city. Since sales tax and hotel / motel tax are really the only ways our city can raise revenues, it helps to keep the hotels full and the restaurants full and visitors landing at our airport, renting cars, and visiting our small, medium and large businesses. That's good for our city. Those revenues can be reinvested into improving roads and neighborhoods, hiring more public safety employees, and adding more to our public transit budget. Cities with high tourism impact have more money to spend on services for their citizens; their services are being subsidized by people who live elsewhere.

I see no use in relitigating MAPS. It's been voted for. It's being built. Studies were shared. Some were disbelieved. Some may have been off the mark. So what? The voters supported MAPS 3 and among the projects MAPS 3 included was the convention center, just like the previous MAPS included a downtown arena "capable of supporting an NBA team." We voted for that MAPS, too, even though we secretly thought the NBA part was a fantasy. Look what happened!

We have a tier-four convention center and we are moving toward becoming a tier-two city. I see no reason we would not want to offer an amenity that will boost our city's profile, add revenues to our service economy, bring more visitors to our city, and provide a high-quality venue to use for ourselves.

There is still much more to be decided about MAPS.

Council votes next Tuesday whether to allocate another $30 million to the convention center, for example.

And the three largest projects -- fully 2/3rds of the entire MAPS budget -- have yet to be even bid. Every other project has come in way over estimates, so hold on to your hats.

You can bet there are going to be tons of choices to be made and that the streetcar project is going to be the one that suffers the most.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Respectfully, a lot of the questions about the convention center were asked here before Ed even went on Council.
    So how does that make Ed a conspiracy theorist when he is asking the same questions you have been asking?

It's not that he asks them, it's the arrogant, divisive, accusatory manner he uses to do it. He has spent all his political capital and for my Ward 2 vote has rendered himself useless.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    So how does that make Ed a conspiracy theorist when he is asking the same questions you have been asking?
    They weren't the "same questions." But I suspect you knew that. Krisb, you seem like a really cool guy. I simply suggest that you consider the kind of councilperson James Cooper could be. I suspect you will really like him.

As for Pete's comment: Pete do you have inside information to share that the streetcar is going to be shafted by the convention center?

The streetcar is at the very end of line when it comes to allocations and every project that has gone before is has gone way over budget -- and then cut back.

The convention center is not going to be cut back; in fact it will likely be expanded.

I anticipate it will come in over budget -- probably way over, as much smaller projects have all missed the mark by pretty substantial margins.

So, that means the streetcar and park would likely take it in the shorts; especially if/when the Council votes on Tuesday to give the CC another $30 million.

There is still much more to be decided about MAPS.

Council votes next Tuesday whether to allocate another $30 million to the convention center, for example.

And the three largest projects -- fully 2/3rds of the entire MAPS budget -- have yet to be even bid. Every other project has come in way over estimates, so hold on to your hats.

You can bet there are going to be tons of choices to be made and that the streetcar project is going to be the one that suffers the most.
    What does this have to do with Ed? He has so badly handled his criticisms he has no meaningful influence. Which is exactly why someone like James Cooper would be a breath of fresh air.

Regarding the streetcar, saying the project would suffer the most is a bit of a stretch. We have a contingency and we have a "phase 2" that we have gained efficiencies on. That leg can also be cut and rolled into "phase 1" and we would still meet our objectives. Plus there have been annual surpluses. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if another "finish MAPS right" type extension of the sales tax would easily pass should one be proposed. As it relates to Ed, I find it ironic that someone who tried to cancel the streetcar project entirely might now be implied to be a positive element in "saving MAPS".

With all due respect to you Pete, I appreciate the fact that you want someone to stimulate meaningful debate and healthy criticism. We both regularly share frustrations about Project 180 and other moving goal posts. I would be fired by my clients if I administrated projects the way some of these projects, timeliness, and budgets have been handled. But Ed hasn't helped create meaningful debate. He has agitated the naysayers and driven everybody else into the "Rah, Rah, OKC!" corner.

I know you talk to Ed. I get it. But I think you will be surprised in James Cooper. The guy isn't going to be a rubber stamp. At the same time, I truly believe that others will respect him and as our city council evolves, meaningful and substantive critical debate will return.

The difference between these guys is someone who really knows who he is as an individual and the current councilman. Someone I deeply believe is a meglomaniac overcompensating for some sort of inherent loss for self direction and control (my opinion). That is not who should be representing OKC's densest populated Ward. By contrast, James seems shockingly humble while retaining the needed leadership qualities to represent a large number of people.

Ed talks transparency, when he and his hired hands were the ones behind busing in any kind of opposition they could find as he tried to stop the streetcar. He even brought people in from Tuttle, .....go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    What does this have to do with Ed? He has so badly handled his criticisms he has no meaningful influence. Which is exactly why someone like James Cooper would be a breath of fresh air.
    I was merely replying to the idea that the MAPS 3 issues are behind us, when in fact the most important ones still remain.

I don't think it's a fair characterization to say I "talk with Ed". I think I've spoken to him twice in my entire life. May have exchanged 2 or 3 short emails over the last several years.

I could say the same about virtually every other decision maker in OKC.

Look forward to meeting James in person. As I said from the outset, it's great to see such a sharp, young guy throw his hat in the ring.

I don't think it's a fair characterization to say I "talk with Ed". I think I've spoken to him twice in my entire life. May have exchanged 2 or 3 short emails over the last several years.
    Ok. Well then I have been misinformed about this. I apologize.

And yes, I am excited for you to meet him too. While we have had broad support for the streetcar and other urban projects from our current council members, I am excited to see an actual Millennial sit up there. I think it would speak well of our city and send a signal to the younger generation that we are trying to both retain and attract.

I really like Ed's frankness and transparency. I wish he was my councilman ( Meg is mine. I like her personally but she is horrible as a representative unless you are a corporate downtown entity) to vote for. I totally agree with him on the streetcar system. It will be going by our properties within 1 block but it has been so gerrymandered it is sickening. We own property in both ward 6 and ward 2. I have not seen anything about this James Cooper to warrant serious endorsement.

I think you will be shocked at how successful and effective the Phase 1 of the streetcar system will be. An incredible amount of scientific assessment was applied to come up with the design. Perhaps that is not apparent enough due to the protracted planning and design process.

And Ed is far from transparent. Just look at his history.

Quote Originally Posted by city View Post
    I really like Ed's frankness and transparency. I wish he was my councilman ( Meg is mine. I like her personally but she is horrible as a representative unless you are a corporate downtown entity) to vote for. I totally agree with him on the streetcar system. It will be going by our properties within 1 block but it has been so gerrymandered it is sickening. We own property in both ward 6 and ward 2. I have not seen anything about this James Cooper to warrant serious endorsement.
    See post # 19. Ed was so transparent he was hiding not to get caught. Ed is no champion here.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Ed seems to ask questions in a tone that elevates himself as the sole authority, and that he stages his questions to make himself appear to be the smartest man in the room.
    This is my biggest issue with Ed. I remember him talking about the streetcar and the two conferences he went to on them. The way he handled it, it felt like we are supposed to believe he is the authority on this subject over people who get paid a lot of money to do this all the time.

Thread Information