Widgets Magazine

Thread: Britton rd btwn Waverly and Broadway Extension

Default Britton rd btwn Waverly and Broadway Extension

This is one rough piece of road and would do wonders to the redevelopment between the soaring skyscrapers of downtown Britton. Are there any plans for resurfacing? Can't help but notice that areas of our fair 405 go neglected the most when they reside in socially/economically challenged locales.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Britton rd btwn Waverly and Broadway Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Swalell1960 View Post
    Can't help but notice that areas of our fair 405 go neglected the most when they reside in socially/economically challenged locales.
    They have resurfaced and reconstructed a huge amount of streets in the immediate area so I think your socially/economically challenged locale accusation in this area is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    They have resurfaced and reconstructed a huge amount of streets in the immediate area so I think your socially/economically challenged locale accusation in this area is incorrect.
    Waverly is the eastern boundary of the City of the Village. Most reconstruction in the area has been done west of Waverly within the Village. Oklahoma City would be responsible for the area Swalell 1960 is referring to, IIRC. I think OKC has been resurfacing Western for several miles north and south. not sure of the OKC plans to resurface Britton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa! I am NEVER incorrect, lolz...

It's clearly low priority on the city's agenda, which you usually find in underwhelmingly represented areas, like I-35 through NE OKC. Did Western really need resurfacing?

Did Western really need resurfacing?
    Yes it did. I drove it the other night and was very relieved to discover a smooth road. It is night and day compared to before.

Better yet the city now needs long term plans to add things like medians, turn lanes, buried utility lines, concrete road surface as opposed to blacktop, bike lanes, and more landscaping. Hopefully some if not all of these things are done with new and reconstructed old roads instead of the typical resurfacing which lasts a decade if we're lucky.

Whoa whoa whoa! I am NEVER incorrect, lolz...

It's clearly low priority on the city's agenda, which you usually find in underwhelmingly represented areas, like I-35 through NE OKC. Did Western really need resurfacing?
    Western between 122nd and Wilshire was hoooooooooooooooorible and has been for at least 10 years, so if that's the stretch you're talking about, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Western between 122nd and Wilshire was hoooooooooooooooorible and has been for at least 10 years, so if that's the stretch you're talking about, absolutely.
    That's the stretch; and I agree, it absolutely needed resurfacing. And unless I'm mistaken, I honestly don't think the demographics along that stretch of Western are all that different than on Britton between Waverly and Broadway Extension.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    That's the stretch; and I agree, it absolutely needed resurfacing. And unless I'm mistaken, I honestly don't think the demographics along that stretch of Western are all that different than on Britton between Waverly and Broadway Extension.
    Yep, pretty much the same demographics and I also agree with the OP's opinion. We saw 164th and May/Penn up around there resurfaced when we lived up there and it was unnecessary as far as I could tell, and meanwhile Western had needed resurfacing for years at the time they were working on 164th/etc. Just anecdotal, but I've noticed that disparity quite a bit all over the city.

Yep, pretty much the same demographics and I also agree with the OP's opinion. We saw 164th and May/Penn up around there resurfaced when we lived up there and it was unnecessary as far as I could tell, and meanwhile Western had needed resurfacing for years at the time they were working on 164th/etc. Just anecdotal, but I've noticed that disparity quite a bit all over the city.
    Yes, I actually agree with OP's opinion as well and I do feel that this stretch of Britton could use some improvements, I just thought that complaining about that stretch of Western getting resurfaced was a weird way to go about arguing it when it's basically the same area.

In a similar vein, it was nice to see the city resurface a good portion of SW 25th street earlier this year, but I'd also like to see some streetscape improvements on that road between Walker and Shields in Capitol Hill as well.

Okay, that's an inarguably good demographical point about the recent resurfacing of that particular stretch of the n/s Western corridor, especially within the context of a discussion about the resurfacing needs of Britton Rd. My opinion comes from a combination of personal experience and perceived potential for development. I drive Britton Rd daily (so yeah, there's my bias), but when you consider that the retail development of the former OPUBCO printing/distribution area is getting underway, and the theater/gaming/restaurant to its immediate south is happening, and the reaffirming shot in the Britton arm that Variety Care brings, and the revitalization efforts of dt Britton itself that are trying to be made (to one successful degree or another...), and you throw in the Thunder facility and the specialized healthcare providers on the NE section of Britton/Broadway, and the Towers office development just a mile to the east, and the Kimray thing, and whatever that enterprise is in the old radio station east of Eastern, which is bursting at the seams if you judge it by the amount of employee cars that have to park there...Well, you get the drift.

(I'm curious about the coffee shop in Britton--it looks neat but doesn't seem to be able to make it past the cool signage stage...)

Okay, that's an inarguably good demographical point about the recent resurfacing of that particular stretch of the n/s Western corridor, especially within the context of a discussion about the resurfacing needs of Britton Rd. My opinion comes from a combination of personal experience and perceived potential for development. I drive Britton Rd daily (so yeah, there's my bias), but when you consider that the retail development of the former OPUBCO printing/distribution area is getting underway, and the theater/gaming/restaurant to its immediate south is happening, and the reaffirming shot in the Britton arm that Variety Care brings, and the revitalization efforts of dt Britton itself that are trying to be made (to one successful degree or another...), and you throw in the Thunder facility and the specialized healthcare providers on the NE section of Britton/Broadway, and the Towers office development just a mile to the east, and the Kimray thing, and whatever that enterprise is in the old radio station east of Eastern, which is bursting at the seams if you judge it by the amount of employee cars that have to park there...Well, you get the drift.

(I'm curious about the coffee shop in Britton--it looks neat but doesn't seem to be able to make it past the cool signage stage...)
    I'm guessing, based on a vague recollection, that ODOT might have some degree of control over the stretch of Britton from Waverly to Broadway Extension. The May Avenue to Pennsylvania rebuild is being done by ODOT, not the Village. I do not think the Penn to Waverly resurfacing is an ODOT project, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm guessing, based on a vague recollection, that ODOT might have some degree of control over the stretch of Britton from Waverly to Broadway Extension. The May Avenue to Pennsylvania rebuild is being done by ODOT, not the Village. I do not think the Penn to Waverly resurfacing is an ODOT project, however.
    Had no idea ODOT was doing the rebuild, or that federal money was involved (found that out from KFOR), seems weird since I don't think Britton's a state highway, wonder why?

Had no idea ODOT was doing the rebuild, or that federal money was involved (found that out from KFOR), seems weird since I don't think Britton's a state highway, wonder why?
    The Village received a federal matching grant through ACOG. All federally funded projects are managed through ODOT.

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    The Village received a federal matching grant through ACOG. All federally funded projects are managed through ODOT.
    GTK, thanks, just glad it's getting done...

Thread Information