Widgets Magazine
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1075

Thread: OU President Gallogly

Blog Entries

Default Re: OU President Gallogly

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Link?

Lots of rich people take advantage of their employers.
    Lots of executives GET rich by taking advantage of their employers/stockholders/investors.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    He lived in Headington Hall.
    My daughter who was a senior at OU this year told me that his spouse never moved here from Houston. FWIW

I created a separate thread for Joseph Harroz in his role as OU interim president. There will be more news on Jim Gallogly, but the new thread will help differentiate the two administrations. https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...00#post1075800

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    link to what?? how much he is worth ?? lots of public info out there on that
    Link?

Why is it necessary to appoint an Oklahoman or insider to the Presidency? The good ole boy inner circle of Oklahoma politics has resulted in disaster. None of the names being bantered about excite me in the least. I'm for a national search for someone with impeccable academic credentials, organization and fundraising experience. This apparent desire to promote from within is shortsighted.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Why is it necessary to appoint an Oklahoman or insider to the Presidency? The good ole boy inner circle of Oklahoma politics has resulted in disaster. None of the names being bantered about excite me in the least. I'm for a national search for someone with impeccable academic credentials, organization and fundraising experience. This apparent desire to promote from within is shortsighted.
    "disaster"

that is a bit much

Link?
    in salary only from 2009 - 2015 110 mill https://nondoc.com/2018/04/05/ous-ne...ou-didnt-know/

he got 1.8 mil shares when he took the lyondellbasell job they would be worth 144mil today (although he likely has sold all or most .. the peak of that company was 121 a share )
    he got the option to by 5.6 mil other shares at 17.16 a peice that would be worth 355mil today (again he could have sold them for a bunch more )
    https://www.accessindustries.com/new...ll-st-history/

and that is with out really even looking .. he was making 800k a year as a contentional director ..

dude has a ton of money

There are many people who have made a bunch of money and don't have a net worth anywhere near $1B.

You made that statement and I've never seen anything like that published, so if you find it, post it.

as we just keep throwing out things for blame here... just want to remind people of this, and how that could be a factor... you might need to subscribe to read, sorry if that's the case

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ish-last-year/

but basically talks about how donations as a whole are down due to the changes in the tax law.

so the decrease in OU Donations might not have all been Gallogly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    as we just keep throwing out things for blame here... just want to remind people of this, and how that could be a factor... you might need to subscribe to read, sorry if that's the case

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ish-last-year/

but basically talks about how donations as a whole are down due to the changes in the tax law.

so the decrease in OU Donations might not have all been Gallogly
    I just followed the link and the article said donations are growing sluggishly. FY 2018 was a RECORD giving year... by a lot. Donors gave more at end of 2017 because of new tax laws due to hurt charitable giving. So, to have a gain over a record year that had a major bump is still very good. OU missed out because of the Gallogly social right experiment gone off the tracks.

"Former University of Oklahoma President James Gallogly leaves his campus office for the last time with a bag of opened Mission Tortilla Chips and a St. Patrick's Day t-shirt from O'Connell's Tavern."

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    You had me, until this one. Not sure what your personal beef is here, but you would be hard pressed to find many (if any) that have direct dealings with Renzi, that would agree with your sentiment.
    Let me walk back that Stone wasn't qualified as that wasn't my point and I regret stating that. My point was that there are a lot of people from different sectors and walks of life qualified. Stone got to the OU Board of Regents at a very young age and there are a lot of other qualified people too. That's all I meant to say. My bad. I've just been frustrated with the way this board operates in secrecy, only considering White men thus far for president and now interim president, and all of this lack of democratic and inclusive process is ultimately harmful when they oversee an incredibly diverse institution.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Pick the person who is BEST - male, female, black, white or purple - l don't care. Not some person to fill an affirmative action slot.

That said,why does J C Watts come to mind?
    This exactly. And I thought of JC Watts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Let me walk back that Stone wasn't qualified as that wasn't my point and I regret stating that. My point was that there are a lot of people from different sectors and walks of life qualified. Stone got to the OU Board of Regents at a very young age and there are a lot of other qualified people too. That's all I meant to say. My bad. I've just been frustrated with the way this board operates in secrecy, only considering White men thus far for president and now interim president, and all of this lack of democratic and inclusive process is ultimately harmful when they oversee an incredibly diverse institution.
    How do you know for a fact that the BoR has only considered white men so far? How do you know that men and women of color have not been considered? Have you been involved in the search process? You are making the BoR out to be a bunch of old white racists because of who they have and haven’t “considered” for the job and have provided very little if any proof to back up the comments that you continually make.

So based on your comments, you are going to be angry if they determine that the most qualified candidate for the job is a white person no matter how the selection process plays out.

For the record, Herroz is Lebanese, not white so there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    How do you know for a fact that the BoR has only considered white men so far? How do you know that men and women of color have not been considered? Have you been involved in the search process? You are making the BoR out to be a bunch of old white racists because of who they have and haven’t “considered” for the job and have provided very little if any proof to back up the comments that you continually make.

So based on your comments, you are going to be angry if they determine that the most qualified candidate for the job is a white person no matter how the selection process plays out.

For the record, Herroz is Lebanese, not white so there you go.
    Stop with the logic and meritocracy and bow down to the god of diversity and inclusion. Confess before you anger they/there’s/them!

Not to get too deeply into this but when you have a certain type of people who have held power for centuries, they also get to make all the decisions of who joins and follows them and study after study has shown that people most often hire those similar to themselves.

It can create an exclusionary cycle and sometimes change has to be forced. And it also frequently creates a situation where the leaders and decision makers are very different than the people who are most impacted by their decisions.

Even as a white, middle-aged man, I see obvious examples of this all the time. And it's one of the reasons I chose not to run for city council.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Stop with the logic and meritocracy and bow down to the god of diversity and inclusion. Confess before you anger they/there’s/them!
    Meritocracy. That is a phrase often used by people who set up the judgements and skew them to favor those who think and act like themselves. If I get to set the standards as to what merits will be favored, I can assure my favorites will stay in power. Real diversity breeds real meritocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Meritocracy. That is a phrase often used by people who set up the judgements and skew them to favor those who think and act like themselves. If I get to set the standards as to what merits will be favored, I can assure my favorites will stay in power. Real diversity breeds real meritocracy.
    So are white men never allowed to be chosen for anything? Just be honest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Ah... I see... trying to make white men the victims. White men don’t get any breaks. Lol

Blog Entries

So, be honest...are white men discriminated against or are they proportionally non-represented in power positions in the US? Underrepresented on boards? Underrepresented in C-suites? Underrepresented in public offices?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, be honest...are white men discriminated against or are they proportionally non-represented in power positions in the US? Underrepresented on boards? Underrepresented in C-suites? Underrepresented in public offices?
    They aren't. But, for the most part, they are qualified for those jobs. If a white person were given a job solely on his skin color, I would agree with you. There are numerous examples of that. So I guess until there is a greater balance, we need to solely look to color or women?

My point is that, in the case of OU, they are literally chosen for president... every. single. time. As others have said, a lot of the people with power always think the "best man" for the job is... the people they know and are used to. They never consider the qualified women, particularly the qualified women of color.

If the Board of Regents hadn't decided to operate a public university in secrecy we might have some insights into whether they seriously considered women of color for positions of power. But there's literally no evidence to think they have. And, yes, there are tons of qualified women of color who could serve as OU's president.

23. Default Re: OU President Gallogly

Not to get too deeply into this but when you have a certain type of people who have held power for centuries, they also get to make all the decisions of who joins and follows them and study after study has shown that people most often hire those similar to themselves.

It can create an exclusionary cycle and sometimes change has to be forced. And it also frequently creates a situation where the leaders and decision makers are very different than the people who are most impacted by their decisions.

Even as a white, middle-aged man, I see obvious examples of this all the time. And it's one of the reasons I chose not to run for city council.
    I see, so trying to correct one unjust inequity by forcing another unjust inequity is a proper action? Pete, this is surprising from you. This is saying we should correct racism by implementing reverse racism - same for sexism, homo...whateverism, fatism, etc.

Im Sorry, but if we, as society, are to promote to important positions based on trying to correct inequities, then we'll be promoting mediocrity. I don't want mediocrity at OU. Accepting mediocrity got us a POTUS and almost got us another - depending popular or electoral.

If you want to correct inequities, then implement intensive training programs and have qualified people waiting in the next room so national searches aren't necessary. This is called succession planning and should be merit based. The notion that merit = racism is just ignorant.

Pete, really appreciate your willingness to state both fact and truth.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I see, so trying to correct one unjust inequity by forcing another unjust inequity is a proper action? Pete, this is surprising from you. This is saying we should correct racism by implementing reverse racism - same for sexism, homo...whateverism, fatism, etc.

Im Sorry, but if we, as society, are to promote to important positions based on trying to correct inequities, then we'll be promoting mediocrity. I don't want mediocrity at OU. Accepting mediocrity got us a POTUS and almost got us another - depending popular or electoral.

If you want to correct inequities, then implement intensive training programs and have qualified people waiting in the next room so national searches aren't necessary. This is called succession planning and should be merit based. The notion that merit = racism is just ignorant.
    I didn't say anything close to this and realize there are many not open to what I actually said.

Thread Information