Widgets Magazine

Thread: There Is No Hell

Default There Is No Hell

Anyone going to read Rob Bell's new book 'Love Wins'? Apparently he makes the case that there is no hell. I'm considering reading it....

Default Re: There Is No Hell

I like Rob Bell, but i dont agree with him on that point. Should make a good read though.

3. Default Re: There Is No Hell

Be a Jehovah's Witness and believe in no Hell.

I see it this way. Even if you don't believe in heaven or hell, which way would you want people to remember you when you are gone. Do you want people to miss you and preserve your memory forever? or Do you want people to celebrate the fact your no longer a pain the backside to them?

Like it or not, we all face judgement in some way when we die. You can quickly figure out how well someone was liked by seeing how many people go to the funeral.

5. Default Re: There Is No Hell

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    You can quickly figure out how well someone was liked by seeing how many people go to the funeral.
    I wonder how many OKCTalkers will be at my funeral.

Sounds fairly gutsy to me. It didn't really work out for Carlton Pearson when he came out with the same idea.

If you're interested, give this a listen: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...e/304/heretics

Don't really buy into the concept but I do live my life based on the possibility of being judged by something at the time of death

8. Default Re: There Is No Hell

There is something about the cosmic balance of the universe and the grand design. I think it may be possible that we may evolve into a higher form of life or reincarnated. There has been evidence of children remembering past life that they can not ever have known about. The stories of Heaven and Hell seem to be basically made up during the early times and passed on, so unfortunately there is too many people believing in that specific concept of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Be a Jehovah's Witness and believe in no Hell.
    Get your facts straight. Jehovah's Witnesses believe in annihilationism, which means there is a burning hell...but it consumes and utterly destroys, rather than burns forever and ever.

10. Default Re: There Is No Hell

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Get your facts straight. Jehovah's Witnesses believe in annihilationism, which means there is a burning hell...but it consumes and utterly destroys, rather than burns forever and ever.
    Don't talk to me like that. I have a hardcore JW friend and he straight out told me there is no Hell. He said, when one dies, there is simply nothing. Punishment for sins is simply death. Is what he told me. I believe him.

11. Default Re: There Is No Hell

I don't know if any of you noticed, but the "similar threads" listed at the end of this thread shows a really good discussion about this same topic. I just read through it and it's fairly interesting (and entertaining).
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=9873

12. Default Re: There Is No Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Don't talk to me like that. I have a hardcore JW friend and he straight out told me there is no Hell. He said, when one dies, there is simply nothing. Punishment for sins is simply death. Is what he told me. I believe him.
    When I said that I believe him, I meant in the way I believe in the way of what he believe. Not saying I agree with him, but...eh..ya get the drift.

One of my major questions is -what happened to the millions of people (their soul) who died from the time of the resurrection of Jesus until the gospel finally began to spread. Since they didn't reject Jesus Christ -where did they end up? (Not expecting anyone to know the answer to that!!)

I always thought the traditional concept of heaven sounded like hell.

Whoever said there's no Hell has obviously not stood in the check-out line at Super Wal-Mart on the first Saturday of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by betterthanbefore View Post
    One of my major questions is -what happened to the millions of people (their soul) who died from the time of the resurrection of Jesus until the gospel finally began to spread. Since they didn't reject Jesus Christ -where did they end up? (Not expecting anyone to know the answer to that!!)
    They were sent to Detroit...lol

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Whoever said there's no Hell has obviously not stood in the check-out line at Super Wal-Mart on the first Saturday of the month.
    Its worse for the people working those events, I promise.

"Lady Gaga Concert - Protestor says 'Hell Is Real'"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anirudhkoul/5482768401/

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I see it this way. Even if you don't believe in heaven or hell, which way would you want people to remember you when you are gone. Do you want people to miss you and preserve your memory forever? or Do you want people to celebrate the fact your no longer a pain the backside to them?

Like it or not, we all face judgement in some way when we die. You can quickly figure out how well someone was liked by seeing how many people go to the funeral.
    I know for a fact I celebrate every time a crazy bible thumper no longer pushes bible fairy tales in my face.

What about the people that have lived in the jungles of Brazil or wherever who have never even been introduced to religion. I guess they go to Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by td25er View Post
    What about the people that have lived in the jungles of Brazil or wherever who have never even been introduced to religion. I guess they go to Hell.
    Cutesy answer from the "progressive,open-minded" liberal. Rent the movie, End of The Spear, it will give you a true life story of just that scenario.

Thread Information