Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ideas for new City Manager

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Ideas for new City Manager

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Thanks. I increasingly ask that question. I know it bothers me that in OU's almost 130-year history that there has never been a president who was not a white male because I know there have been so many quality candidates who did not get a shot. Moreover, I really think having a diversity of people (by race, gender, SES, sexual orientation, religion, language, age; in this case, by transporation lifestyle - commuter, car-less, etc.) in any organization enhances the understanding, perspectives, and connections for the organization.

It does appear that this national search attracted an Oklahoma lifer (based on education and jobs), which is not necessariy ideal considering OKC needs outside perspectives in my opinion. But, maybe he's open-minded and understands quality urban development. Anyone know his views on walkability, urbanism, etc.? I just hope he's not another subruban commuter.
    So basically if some has a different skin color than white, or is a woman they must have different idea just based on that, rather than listening and asking if they actually have different ideas.

We need more checking the box diversity, not actual diversity of ideas. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    So basically if some has a different skin color than white, or is a woman they must have different idea just based on that, rather than listening and asking if they actually have different ideas.

We need more checking the box diversity, not actual diversity of ideas. Got it.
    Not at all what I said, but thanks for misrepresenting my post.

However, if the people you hire are consistently from the exact same demographic group then you might ask yourself why. Of course, there is a diversity of experiences and perspectives within groups too. No one said that there isn’t. But to dismiss the idea that race or gender play a role is to justify hiring a good ol’ boy network of hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Not at all what I said, but thanks for misrepresenting my post.

However, if the people you hire are consistently from the exact same demographic group then you might ask yourself why. Of course, there is a diversity of experiences and perspectives within groups too. No one said that there isn’t. But to dismiss the idea that race or gender play a role is to justify hiring a good ol’ boy network of hiring.
    Oh my bad. I just thought we judged people based on character not skin color but I guess it the opposite. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Oh my bad. I just thought we judged people based on character not skin color but I guess it the opposite. Carry on.
    Again, no one said that, but it's clear you're not interested in actually discussing the topic.

Thread Information