Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

Default Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

Honestly I've never understood it?

I didn't even know there was a rivalry between the cities until I got to college and some friends from Tulsa would dog on OKC as a manure factory every chance they got.

Now with the Devon tower going up, the Thunder, the MAPS 3 projects it seems like the hate is at an all time high. I read through some comments in the Tulsa papers from the bombing anniversary, some of the commenters where trying to tie Oklahoma City's success to the bombing, and said we'd still be a cow town if not for the tragedy.

Today I read comments from Tulsans about the Thunder and some of the comments were like this: "The 'Oklahoma Thunder' I would love to support. The 'okc thunder' I could care less."

Like they live in another state of something...Bizarre stuff. Seems OKC citizens are pretty supportive of Tulsa, I actually tried doing some research to see if there was some kind of historical event that catapulted this anger, but I haven't found anything.

Anyone have any clue?

Default Re: Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

Just your typical city rivalry. It was not that long ago when Tulsa was progressing at a much faster rate and now their upset that OKC has seen more progress the past decade. If the shoe was on the other foot, OKC residents would be the bitter ones.

Tulsans are just retards, unless they are transplants that used to live here, or really old like my Grandma who loves the Thunder! As far as the bombing being tied to our success or whatever that's all about, MAPS started in 1993 and the bombing happened in 1995. I doubt some city official paid Timothy McVeigh to kill innocents. Tulsans saying that is like conspiracy nuts saying that Bush actually set up the World Trade Center bombing so that he'd have a reason to go after Saddam Hussein. This morning I was listening to ESPN Radio and Dari Noka was talking about the top 3 match ups tonight. Not once did he mention the Thunder vs. the Nuggets. I don't know if he's actually from Tulsa but he sure acted like it this morning.

The only reason they don't like us is because we're more Western than they are and obviously they're more Eastern. They were a city with culture and we're just finding ours. We're getting all the love and they're living off the rich history of them being an oil capitol of the world in the early 1900's. It's our time, not theirs. That's why...

4. Default Re: Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

Envy. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    Like they live in another state of something...Bizarre stuff. Seems OKC citizens are pretty supportive of Tulsa, I actually tried doing some research to see if there was some kind of historical event that catapulted this anger, but I haven't found anything.

Anyone have any clue?
    It goes back to statehood. Eastern Oklahoma wanted to form the State of Sequoyah instead of joining with the rest of the area to form present day Oklahoma. It would have happened if eastern states were not opposed to forming two new western states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Sequoyah

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Tulsans are just retards, unless they are transplants that used to live here, or really old like my Grandma who loves the Thunder! As far as the bombing being tied to our success or whatever that's all about, MAPS started in 1993 and the bombing happened in 1995. I doubt some city official paid Timothy McVeigh to kill innocents. Tulsans saying that is like conspiracy nuts saying that Bush actually set up the World Trade Center bombing so that he'd have a reason to go after Saddam Hussein. This morning I was listening to ESPN Radio and Dari Noka was talking about the top 3 match ups tonight. Not once did he mention the Thunder vs. the Nuggets. I don't know if he's actually from Tulsa but he sure acted like it this morning.

The only reason they don't like us is because we're more Western than they are and obviously they're more Eastern. They were a city with culture and we're just finding ours. We're getting all the love and they're living off the rich history of them being an oil capitol of the world in the early 1900's. It's our time, not theirs. That's why...
    What an idiot. Most Tulsan's love Oklahoma City. We think it is a great city and we're cheering it on. And no, we're not bitter we don't have the Thunder. I love the Thunder. All my friends love the Thunder. I am glad it is in Oklahoma. I would like for it to be in Tulsa, but its not. Big deal.

And "It's our time, not theirs"........are you kidding????? Need I provide you with a list of development and other things going on in Tulsa?

Overall, I don't think the majority from either city hate the other. It's just a few angry idiots that stir the pot.

True, ZYX. In fact, I hear more OKCitians talking about how much Tulsans bad-mouth OKC than I actually hear from Tulsans themselves.

That's not to say that I don't make the occasional jab at OKC. But no-more-so than I do about any other regional city. My complaints usually reflect why I chose to live in Tulsa as opposed to any other city. But hatred from myself and Tulsans in general toward OKC? I think that's just projecting the voice of a few over the region as a whole...

This thread is stupid. C'mon, give me a break...OKC is incredibly easy to make fun of. Also, this thread presupposes that Tulsans just sit around complaining about OKC stuff happening because they don't have any of their own stuff happening in their area. Just in toto, as Sean Hannity would say, this thread is a big ignorant baloney sandwich.

Why are some thread starters so butt hurt? If some of the OKC jokes are pretty sharp, it's okay to laugh, I know I do...

Quote Originally Posted by ZYX2 View Post
    Overall, I don't think the majority from either city hate the other. It's just a few angry idiots that stir the pot.
    This. For God sake don't take the Tulsa World comment section as what the vast majority of Tulsans think. Same for NewsOK and their comment section and OKC.

There will always be a rivalry just as there is in every state with two similarly sized cities, and especially in Oklahoma where it's basically just OKC and Tulsa (and their suburbs) while the rest of the state is rural and poor. Both cities are also very different for being in the same state only 95 miles apart. The people themselves are not different but the cities are..

I'm not saying "all" Tulsans.

I'm talking about a significant portion though. Like I said, I didn't even know there was a rivalry until I heard a significant amount of people from there, in my life, talk about the vast superiority of Tulsa. Just yesterday a guy I know made a snide comment about having to live in OKC and went on to say that Tulsa University was a superior school academically, culturally, and geographically to OU, my alma mater. I quote: "The only thing OU has on TU is a football team." The Tulsa World comment section was just an example.

I honestly dont understand it.

I personally much prefer the geography of Oklahoma City, seriously.

I'm not saying "all" Tulsans.
    Just yesterday a guy I know made a snide comment about having to live in OKC and went on to say that Tulsa University was a superior school academically, culturally, and geographically to OU, my alma mater.
    Not to be a killjoy, but TU does tend to rank higher than any other university in Oklahoma in academics. But there's nothing wrong with most of the other state schools. As for "culturally", I'm on the fence. TU's arts programs are okay, but if I wanted to go for school for performing arts, OCU would win hands-down with OU following closely behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYX2 View Post
    What an idiot. Most Tulsan's love Oklahoma City. We think it is a great city and we're cheering it on. And no, we're not bitter we don't have the Thunder. I love the Thunder. All my friends love the Thunder. I am glad it is in Oklahoma. I would like for it to be in Tulsa, but its not. Big deal.

And "It's our time, not theirs"........are you kidding????? Need I provide you with a list of development and other things going on in Tulsa?

Talk about butt hurt, LOL. First off, my grandma lives in Tulsa. If you read the post you might have made that connection. Second, I actually like Tulsa. I haven't spent much time there as a plus 21 year old and I'm 33, but I have loved the city of Tulsa since I can remember. It looks better cause its in Green Country, actually has a real river that needs real bridges to span it & your bike path along the Creek Turnpike is longer than all those combined in OKC! I don't know about the streets on the northside but 6 lanes streets on the southside go a long way (ex. 71st and Yale). Plus, they're made of concrete and not cheap asphalt like OKC likes to do it. Thank God we have project 180
    I know other newer streets here locally are being widened using concrete but the Tulsa area is far more pleasing to the eye and to the car. Glad Tulsa has development. Please feel free to post about it in the Tulsa forum. And if I said, all Tulsans then that's my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    This. For God sake don't take the Tulsa World comment section as what the vast majority of Tulsans think. Same for NewsOK and their comment section and OKC.

There will always be a rivalry just as there is in every state with two similarly sized cities, and especially in Oklahoma where it's basically just OKC and Tulsa (and their suburbs) while the rest of the state is rural and poor. Both cities are also very different for being in the same state only 95 miles apart. The people themselves are not different but the cities are..
    The problem is that the infamous Paul from Yukon really does represent the views of an incredible amount of people in the OKC region.

Michael Bates
    "Evidently a team in Oklahoma City (happy to take tax money from the whole state but not take the whole state's name) won a big game tonight."

http://twitter.com/#!/BatesLine

Wow....

Michael Bates
    "Evidently a team in Oklahoma City (happy to take tax money from the whole state but not take the whole state's name) won a big game tonight."

http://twitter.com/#!/BatesLine

Wow....
    Wow is right. What a douchebag.

I'm not sure Bates is the d bag here. Why do you guys feel he is compelled to root for our team?? I do not understand that logic, or lack thereof, more likely.

I think what we have here is a failure to see things from other people's perspective, on both sides of the turnpike. Good to see my fellow OKCers holding up their end of the tradition... (that's a sarcasm, for those of you on here who don't get that sort of thing)

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Wow is right. What a douchebag.
    Even Tulsans don't like him. He is also highly opposed to the BOK Center, among other things...

Spartan does bring up a good point though, but I think in this case, Mr. Bates is just finding another thing to complain about.

I like both cities a lot and both cities have a lot to poke fun at, so I don't go along with one being "better" than the other at all. For instance, I am envious that Tulsa has all those great lakes around it, but I wouldn't trade having my beloved OU sports just down the road. I love spending time in both cities.

Can we just do away with this idiotic thread altogether? Make it so! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm not sure Bates is the d bag here. Why do you guys feel he is compelled to root for our team?? I do not understand that logic, or lack thereof, more likely.

I think what we have here is a failure to see things from other people's perspective, on both sides of the turnpike. Good to see my fellow OKCers holding up their end of the tradition... (that's a sarcasm, for those of you on here who don't get that sort of thing)
    It's pretty obviously a snide remark. The fact that he (falsely) claims the entire state is paying taxes to have the thunder here is indicative of the butt-hurtness. He calls it "a team in Oklahoma City".

I mean....c'mon...

You can delete it. I don't care.

Just trying to understand the disconnect.

You can delete it. I don't care.

Just trying to understand the disconnect.
    You ever notice how here in OKCTalk there is a Tulsa sub-section,but there is no section at all for OKC subjects on TulsaNow!I noticed when posting anything OKC in The TulsaNow forum you will get bashed,but it's even worse if you try to defend OKC after being bashed,then labled a Troll and banned!OKShi**y this and wasteland down the turnpike and so on...... Just sayin!

I dont think Tulsa is Butthurt I just think they want to feel included in the States first pro team!

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    You ever notice how here in OKCTalk there is a Tulsa sub-section,but there is no section at all for OKC subjects on TulsaNow!I noticed when posting anything OKC in The TulsaNow forum you will get bashed,but it's even worse if you try to defend OKC after being bashed,then labled a Troll and banned!OKShi**y this and wasteland down the turnpike and so on...... Just sayin!
    Couple of your Tulsa Now postings:

Quote from: dmoor82 on August 28, 2010, 06:29:34 am

Sounds like your a troll in your own forum YOU CHIT HOLE! GET A LIFE YOU JEALOUS donkey TROLL!
    Quote from: dmoor82 on August 28, 2010, 07:52:56 pm

How's The WNBA buzz in Tulsa?is it electrifying or is it SHOCKING?LOL!I invite you to OKC to take a stroll thru Bricktown,watch The Devon Tower rise before you and then take in an NBA game or you could take in some Olympic rowing,canoeing,kayacking events on Boathouse row, this is just a few of things you can do!There has been about 5 billion $ investment in OKC since MAPS1 and OKC still has MAPS3(vote passed) projects to build!Sorry Tulsa your WNBA occupied arena with its "great concerts"and your nice DOUBLE A baseball stadium does NOT COMPARE to what is going on in OKC!YOU have NO let me repeat NO chance in hell of getting the olympics NO CHANCE of landing The NBA!Landing The NHL is a possibility in The future!

Thread Information