Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dunkin Donuts

Default Re: Dunkin Donuts

There are still a few Winchell's up here in Denver, in the old style stores.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    A few years ago. I loved Winchell's. Bummer is right!
    Really? I thought it was still a Winchell's. Probably because the build is the same.
    It's the same building, right?

At any rate, when I was a kid the location is where Billie's Tastee-Freez was. We played
    baseball directly across the street where the apartments are.

It's been a year or so but the last time I was at DD they didn't have the "Dunking
    Donut". The cake donut with the 'handle' on it.

Was that a fluke or do they still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    It's been a year or so but the last time I was at DD they didn't have the "Dunking
    Donut". The cake donut with the 'handle' on it.

Was that a fluke or do they still have it.
    I haven't seen that is so long I forgot it existed. I did see they have a version of the cronut (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Really? I thought it was still a Winchell's. Probably because the build is the same.
    It's the same building, right?

At any rate, when I was a kid the location is where Billie's Tastee-Freez was. We played
    baseball directly across the street where the apartments are.
    Same building and I don't think the ceiling tiles have been changed either. And the bathroom is still out of service.

I never understood the hype of Krispy Kreme. people in OKC were in lines for hours. people brought boxes of them to the bars even passing them out.. was very odd and I didn't care for them myself. I prefer DD and love the Coffee. have been going to the one at 36th and May for probably 15 years and they do make them on site at that location I know. Chocolate Creme filled is my favorite!

I'll be happy to just find out where the new restaurants will be. We live near Quail Springs and love their coffee so we are wondering if it will be on the western end near Hideaway, on the Eastern end near Cabelas or North of Memorial where we live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    ...Chocolate Creme filled is my favorite!
    If I find out you're the one that bought them all a couple of Saturdays ago and left none for me, man...... Carrot cake from Patty Wagon filled the void, though, even though their burgers aren't up to the way they used to be. :-P

I've been in Boston for the last week and it's astonishing how many DD's there are. I saw three within two blocks once. They seem to be on every corner.

10. Default Re: Dunkin Donuts

Yeah, it's culture shock in Boston. They love their DDs.

They are based out of that region so they are everywhere. Kind of like Waffle Houses all over Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    If I find out you're the one that bought them all a couple of Saturdays ago and left none for me, man...... Carrot cake from Patty Wagon filled the void, though, even though their burgers aren't up to the way they used to be. :-P
    It's possible it was me..lol.. I haven't tried Patty Wagons Carrot cake. hmmm.. last time I had a burger it was still good stuff. probably one of my favorites in OKC. I know the owner is having some serious health problems however.

It's possible it was me..lol.. I haven't tried Patty Wagons Carrot cake. hmmm.. last time I had a burger it was still good stuff. probably one of my favorites in OKC. I know the owner is having some serious health problems however.
    Ah, that would explain why there was a different guy there that looked manager/owner-ish instead of the guy we saw when we first went there, thanks for the info. Bun was still good (and fries), but everything else between the buns just didn't have much taste. Irma's is our go-to burger place, their No Name beef, hickory sauce, bleu cheese, and bacon burger just kicks the crap out of Patty Wagon's, absolutely no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Ah, that would explain why there was a different guy there that looked manager/owner-ish instead of the guy we saw when we first went there, thanks for the info. Bun was still good (and fries), but everything else between the buns just didn't have much taste. Irma's is our go-to burger place, their No Name beef, hickory sauce, bleu cheese, and bacon burger just kicks the crap out of Patty Wagon's, absolutely no contest.
    I will have to give Irmas another try.. have been twice and not in years at this point and wasn't impressed.. perhaps it was just off those days.
    Yah he had brain surgery for cancer is what I was told. wishing him well and that he has a full recovery.

I will have to give Irmas another try.. have been twice and not in years at this point and wasn't impressed.. perhaps it was just off those days.
    Yah he had brain surgery for cancer is what I was told. wishing him well and that he has a full recovery.
    Ugh, brain cancer, yeah, hope he comes out of it well too... Make sure you get the No Name beef, done medium at Irma's, that's a large part of it. ;-)

I never understood the hype of Krispy Kreme. people in OKC were in lines for hours. people brought boxes of them to the bars even passing them out.. was very odd and I didn't care for them myself. I prefer DD and love the Coffee. have been going to the one at 36th and May for probably 15 years and they do make them on site at that location I know. Chocolate Creme filled is my favorite!
    I think it was the appeal of something that OKC didn't have and it was new. The same with Dave & Busters. People on this board longed for a D&B for years. Now that OKC has one, I never hear anything about it. I never talk to anyone who goes there. I'm sure it does a well enough business, but after the new wore off, it cooled quite a bit. If they ever built a In n Out in OKC it would be the same way. You'd have people lined up for miles for the first couple of weeks but when the new wears off, people realize that they've had just as good or better burgers at other places and In n Out becomes just another restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I think it was the appeal of something that OKC didn't have and it was new. The same with Dave & Busters. People on this board longed for a D&B for years. Now that OKC has one, I never hear anything about it. I never talk to anyone who goes there. I'm sure it does a well enough business, but after the new wore off, it cooled quite a bit. If they ever built a In n Out in OKC it would be the same way. You'd have people lined up for miles for the first couple of weeks but when the new wears off, people realize that they've had just as good or better burgers at other places and In n Out becomes just another restaurant.
    you are right the new wears off for sure. I was excited about Dave and Busters myself but to me this one didn't measure up to the one I go to in Dallas. so I have not been often.

you are right the new wears off for sure. I was excited about Dave and Busters myself but to me this one didn't measure up to the one I go to in Dallas. so I have not been often.
    I haven't been to the one in OKC but I hear that it's smaller than those in other cities. That probably doesn't help.

There are two D&B locations here, been to the Westminster one for a birthday party right after I moved up here in 2011. It was the first time that I had been to one since the Dallas Walnut Hill Lane location when I lived there in the early 90's. I have never been to the location on my side of Denver and never hear anyone say anything about it but the parking lot always is pretty full.

The Donut thread is now talking meat and burgers??? LOL

How about a Drunken Donuts? A place where you can get beer and donuts any time of day or night.

The Dave and Busters here is more or less the same as an adult Chuck E. Cheese. Where other locations have pool tables and even bowling lanes, this one omits them -- not so much as a "bar box" pool table when I was last in (this may have changed). The new place off Western, forget-the-name-but-I-tried-to-get-in-during-their-preview-and-the-wait-was-too-long, competes almost unfairly in my opinion.

To be germane, the handled donut has been gone for some time from DD. I miss them; it was like getting something extra (perhaps why they left).

Back to DD. Stopped in the one in Edmond on Broadway this morning and have to say I was impressed. Quit going years ago but have a change of heart now. Spacious, clean, and offer a good breakfast menu and adequate coffee selection. The drive-thru had about 8 cars in line so I went in and was served promptly. Wish they would put one in downtown.

New Dunkin Donuts going in near NW 164th & May:

25. Default Re: Dunkin Donuts

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Back to DD. Stopped in the one in Edmond on Broadway this morning and have to say I was impressed. Quit going years ago but have a change of heart now. Spacious, clean, and offer a good breakfast menu and adequate coffee selection. The drive-thru had about 8 cars in line so I went in and was served promptly. Wish they would put one in downtown.
    Excellent coffee, too.

Thread Information