Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinker AFB

Default Re: Tinker bond passes

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    Yes and those same Tinker officials have publicly committed $100million towards the necessary up grades to the plant in Federal monies...

How could this possibly have been budgeted in the current fiscal year when it wasn't even a proposal more than a couple of months ago?

Also, which upgrades, and when is work scheduled to begin? Which projects are these upgrades going to support at the GM facility? You don't have the answer to that, because you don't know what work - if any - is going there. Therefore you cannot know what kinds of upgrades are going in, and the "$100 million commitment" is a vapor commitment.

Further there are numerous old buildings currently on Tinker that will be shut down and torn down and the work moved to the facility.
    Oh, I thought the GM plant was being purchased to bring Tinker thousands of new jobs, not just to shift the location of existing jobs.....

Further the Air Force is working towards private sector tenents for the unused portion of the building.
    This is supposed to make the county's purchase of the GM plant and subsequent gift rental to Tinker sound better??? Listen to yourself - if the objective was to give it to private sector tenants, then county voters just got duped into the sacrifice of perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars in facility rental revenue on top of the loss of property tax revenue formerly headed to the Mid Del school district? Now you've REALLY sold me on just how keen a project this was.
    [quote]Further General Reno has also went through BRAC closures[/quote.]

He has never gone through a BRAC round as a Tinker commander.

Further I would rather believe a current active two star general rather than a retired general that has been removed from several different positions because of his mouth.
    Here we go again, crapping on Burpee. What in the world is your issue with him? His kid beat up yours and steal his lunch money or something? Burpee found hiimself at odds with the Chamber of Commerce because he refused to toe their line on several idiotic positions, and he was right in doing so. He spoke his mind about this most recent boondoggle, and again he was right in doing so.

Further when the move occurs and the jobs are relocated I will be sure to re-resurect this thread to show you .....you were wrong............maybe.
    Time and only time will tell..........
    If your buddies come through with the "thousands" of new jobs they promised in their advertising, you'll have every right to do so. But I'm not worried, because it isn't going to happen. And when that fails, your buddy Ray Vaughn and his minions won't have one shred of accountability for the Brooklyn Bridge they've sold the taxpayers.

Hey, I hope lots of jobs DO come here. But you've just said yourself they're going to transfer existing jobs in and fill the rest of the space with private sector tenants - doesn't sound like even a fraction of the "thousands of new jobs" your buddies promised. I'd love to think your idealized faith in our local county leaders were merited.

As someone else has pointed out, this debate is pointless, the vote has been taken, and everyone in Oklahoma county gets to foot the bill for this nonsense. Won't matter one penny to me, because I don't live in Oklahoma county, but scams like this still frustrate and annoy me to no end, for they prove that good ol' boy politics is alive and well.

Default Re: Tinker Bond Vote Info

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I will tell you why he supported the sTinker vote, the chamber has a nice cushy job or a few "speaking engagements" lined up for him as soon as he retires. Not mention I am sure a nice little thank you kick back is waiting for him after retirement.
    Oh pleezzeeee and next we have the sequel of the "Sky is falling"

[QUOTE=SoonerDave;143358].
    Here we go again, crapping on Burpee. What in the world is your issue with him? His kid beat up yours and steal his lunch money or something? [/I]

Dont think so. Son was 10th SF so I doubt a airforce wennie kid could do that.

You have an anger problem perhaps??????????? Or just dont like being contradicted????????

The Air Force announced recently it is prepared to spend up to $100 million on moving operations to the plant and modifying the building for military manufacturing and repair uses
    Tinker brass forecasting 5-year move to GM plant | NewsOK.com

See............Theres the commitment....Its in the paper.

Now back to the original premise.
    Your argument is fallacious so you resort to retorts so childish as the above................

4. Default Re: Tinker bond passes

Did anyone else happen to read the May 15th article by Bryan Dean? It was on the front page of the DOK Business section and titled, "Land use may put Tinker at risk". The jest of the story deals with the intent of City Officials in Del City to move forward with a plan, that would allow a proposed retail development to be built in an "Accident Protection Zone" located near I-40 and Sooner Road.

The proposed development will be too close to a runway at T.A.F.B. and would put the base at risk of being CLOSED. How crazy is that? Although I live in OKC, I also live in Clevland County. Thank God. But I would still feel sorry for, and hate to see you Oklahoma Countians spend $55,000,000. for nothing.

6. Default Re: Tinker bond passes

No, but the Midwest City Sun covered that back on the 11th of May.

The Sun - Del City retail site sits in accident zone

I think MWC is just trying to keep Del City from developing competing retail from entering the area near Town Center.

If the crash zone were a true issue. I-40 would not exist, nor would the new Wal-Mart, the motel, the neighborhoods etc.

This nothing more than an issue of MWC saying "Hey Tinker, you scratch our back and play on the crash zone theory we will scratch yours and get you the funds for better gate access, your air show and any other thing you want to piss away tax dollars on."

I am sick of the corruption in our government on all levels. They pad each other's pockets while telling us "It is for the good of the economy." "We will lose jobs if X happens."

This crap right here is why people need to educate themselves and vote.

Default Tinker now at GM plant

Spent the last few days getting ready to start work on the inside of the plant. I can't believe how much junk was left behind. I'm not sure it was such a good deal.

Default Re: Tinker now at GM plant

Quote Originally Posted by ranger75 View Post
    Spent the last few days getting ready to start work on the inside of the plant. I can't believe how much junk was left behind. I'm not sure it was such a good deal.
    I'd like to get my hands on some of that junk, it's amazing how much good stuff the auto companies throw away.

10. Default Re: Tinker now at GM plant

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I'd like to get my hands on some of that junk, it's amazing how much good stuff the auto companies throw away.
    Yeah, like plans for GREAT cars.

Default Re: Tinker now at GM plant

Are those the same plans that paid employees an awesome pension and 60k a year to tighten the same two bolts on an assembly line?

12. Default Re: Tinker now at GM plant

It was five bolts. FIVE. And they only got four breaks and an hour for lunch.

13. Default Re: Tinker now at GM plant

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Are those the same plans that paid employees an awesome pension and 60k a year to tighten the same two bolts on an assembly line?
    Hence why they began having so many problems. The unions stopped doing what they were inteded to do and starting pissing and moaning about crap they didn't deserve. There is no reason why someone with only a high school education should have ever been paid even half that salary for assembly line work. Sorry, that may be harsh, but it's true. Why should I go get an education if I know I'll make more in some stupid screw on/off job?

Default Tinker AFB job offer

Hey guys,

I just got a job offer to be an aircraft engine mechanic (wg 8602). Whats weird is they hired me over the phone without an interview or anything. I just have to go to the base on the 23rd and take a physical and fill out paperwork. Im a little caught off that the only person you get to talk to is an HR rep. I dont really know any true details of the job. Is this normal? I am a "special hiring authority" hire due to my VA preference points.

Im really hoping that someone on here can shed some light as to what the job really is? What are the work schedules like? I heard that I may get stuck on a 3 to midnight shift and they do a lot of mandatory overtime on saturday and stuff? If anyone can give me any insights what its like to work there I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Default Re: Tinker AFB job offer

I sent you an email with some contact info. Hope it works out for you!

Whataya have to lose?

US Office of Personnel Management This web site may help you. Go to search and type WG 8602.

Default Tinker Job Loss...

http://newsok.com/u.s.-air-force-to-...rticle/3655139

Probably not a huge surprise as the Defense Department is facing some pretty serious cuts in funding. Sucks for the families that are effected by this.

Default Re: Tinker Job Loss...

thats one reason why ive never understood why so many oklahoma city residents consider themselves staunch republicans. this city is ran by government spending. then we turn around a pat ourselves on the back for getting more boeing jobs, those jobs are paid for by government spending...

cant yell and scream for budget cuts then get mad when they start cutting budgets.

There are big government Democrats and big government Republicans. The only difference is what they want to spend money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    There are big government Democrats and big government Republicans. The only difference is what they want to spend money on.
    Big government doesn't just mean spending either. For example, conservatives often like to get the government involved in an array of social issues like Oklahoma's drinking laws, contraception, or (gay) marriage. More involvement = big government, but conservatives often turn a blind eye to their big government priorities.

You might be confusing 'republican' with 'conservative'. No worries though, many 'republicans' mess that up also.

I think most Oklahomans don't realize how much federal government spending benefits the state, although some of that blame falls on local officials not telling people that this construction project was funded by federal money, or these jobs are here due to federal money. Heck, I gripe about federal spending but I love all the equipment that federal money buys us here at the lab I work at in the FAA. Frivolous spending is what most people complain about.

But to get back on topic, its good to see that the article ljbab posted said most people with the 3rd Herd will be moved someplace else so they're not out of a job. The brain drain is what will hurt the most. Interesting quote from the article as well, “Yes, it's a bummer,” he said. “But I believe there's going to be some good news down the line that will offset this.”

This is what happens when you go broke. Expect more of the same in the future. 48% of all federal spending is borrowed money.

Thread Information