Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should OKC court Bible museum?

Default Should OKC court Bible museum?

First off, let's keep this civil with religious preferences and differences aside. Move it to religion or political if you want to go there.

Ok, so with all the talk and suggestions that OKC should try and court more museums and attractions to downtown and Bricktown, should OKC try to court Hobby Lobby to locate this HUGE museum to Downtown OKC instead of Dallas (their preference?). Regardless of religous beliefs, this would be a HUGE museum and probably a huge draw. I found this article in today's JR.

The Journal Record
    Hobby Lobby backs Bible museum
    by Kirby Lee Davis
    Published: March 29th, 2010

A second-edition Luther New Testament commissioned for Henry the Wise, his protector. (Courtesy Photo)
    OKLAHOMA CITY – Hobby Lobby Stores will delve into the nonprofit realm for its next expansion project, creating a permanent home for the National Bible Museum.

The Oklahoma City-based chain of 436 retail stores not only is helping place the building, but will provide the museum a collection of several thousand historic Bibles and religious artifacts, led most recently by the Codex Climaci Rescriptus. Considered one of the world’s oldest near-complete Bibles, that manuscript boasts the only surviving New Testament texts recorded in Palestinian Aramaic, the tongue Jesus spoke.

“We’re intending to have a world-class museum for God’s word,” said David Green, founder of Hobby Lobby, who estimated the collection inventory in the tens of thousands. “It really substantiates God’s word, to see the history of his word.”

Led by Cornerstone Professor of History Scott Carroll, the nonprofit National Bible Museum has been under development for about seven years. In 2008 Carroll discussed opening a $300 million complex in a 900,000-square-foot downtown Dallas facility, but that project did not advance under the emerging national recession.

Hobby Lobby President Steve Green said Dallas remains a prime candidate, with Carroll continuing to spearhead the effort. He projects the size at 300,000 square feet or more.

“What we’re looking for would be a major metropolitan area,” Steve Green said in a telephone interview Monday. “We feel the museum would draw worldwide for people who have interest in the Bible. It just seems to make sense for it to be one of the major metropolitan areas in the U.S. That’s why Dallas would be preferred.

“But at this point, without having the location required, we would be open to opportunities that might present themselves,” he said. “At this point what we’re looking for is not new construction, but an existing facility that would work to house the collection.”

Hobby Lobby is evaluating potential museum sites with executive director Carroll, museum chief executive D. Jonathan Shipman, co-founder Daniel Centurione, and other supporters.

The trio also aided Hobby Lobby in building its collection of antiquities.

Steve Green, son of David Green, said recessionary pressures have led some investors to cash out their private holdings, creating opportunities to add to what is informally called the “Green Collection.”

“We do get daily opportunities that come up, individuals that are aware we are interested in acquiring biblical antiquities,” said Steve Green. “Those are looked at sitting down once a month. Sometimes it may be a single item and sometimes it may be a complete collection.”

Hobby Lobby acquired the Codex Climaci Rescriptus from Westminster College at Cambridge University. Green would not disclose the price.

The family firm also has added Richard Rolle’s 1341 translation and commentary on the Book of Psalms, considered the oldest known Scripture in English. These join a collection ranging from ancient scrolls, clay tablets thousands of years old and bits of the Dead Sea Scrolls, to Bibles once owned by Babe Ruth, presidents and other prominent people.

“We have a huge collection of Bibles, probably one of the largest if not the largest private collection of Bibles in the world,” said David Green. “We’ve got more scrolls than anybody in the United States.”

The privately held company has a long history of operating under Christian principles, in everything from its inventory selection to operating hours.

“We’re excited about being able to do the things that we do, that God allows us to do,” said David Green, who launched the firm in 1972.

For several decades Hobby Lobby has devoted a large segment of earnings to supporting a variety of ministry and nonprofit efforts. It has financed more than 450 million copies of the four-gospel Book of Hopes, given to children around the world.

“The collection has been something we have been involved in recently, but our faith goes back generations,” said Steve Green. “Grandfather was a minister and my father was a son of a minister. There is a heritage of the Christian faith in our family. We have had a love of God’s word for as long as I’ve lived.

“That is where the opportunity to work with the National Bible Museum came about,” he said. “We’re in the early stages of it. We don’t know exactly all the details but we’re excited about the opportunity to have a significant museum for people to hear the story of the Bible because it is a story unlike any other and we feel that story needs to be told.”

As the museum backers study potential sites, with no timetable for final development, Hobby Lobby has obtained climate-controlled storage facilities to protect its growing inventory.

“We really feel like that’s in God’s hands, quite frankly, and when the time is right we will go forward,” Steve Green said, echoing his father. “We would hope that is sooner than later. It would be exciting.”

Complete URL: Hobby Lobby backs Bible museum

Default Re: Should OKC court Bible museum?

Don't know about downtown. I'd think it'd be more properly out by the Omniplex/Zoo/Remington Park area in the Adventure District. But yeah, it'd be a good thing. No doubt.

Jobs and tourists never hurt anyone.

3. Default Re: Should OKC court Bible museum?

why not?

It couldn't be any worse for our city's reputation than the Banjo Museum

Sure! Almost any museum is good and we're the middle of the Bible belt so if it were in DT/Bricktown it would prolly get a lot of business from Bible belt travelers

Don't we have Bible Museums already? Churches.

I need to get down to the banjo museum. I've always wanted to learn the banjo. It's actually a beautiful instrument. Lots more technique intensive than the guitar from what it looks like. Anyone who's good at the banjo gets my respect.

There is one in Dallas that is really nice.

The Biblical Arts Center

“We have a huge collection of Bibles, probably one of the largest if not the largest private collection of Bibles in the world,” said David Green. “We’ve got more scrolls than anybody in the United States.”
    As someone who appreciates history and antiquities, this would be great for Oklahoma City. It's not well known, but we actually have one of the best history of science collections in the country at the OU library in Norman, including first edition works by Galileo. I could see a symbiosis, of a sort, that would be very appropriate.

Sounds like this thing is already going to Dallas. And mheaton, you think Galileo and a Church museum would be symbiosis..or war of reason? Lol, just saying..

And mheaton, you think Galileo and a Church museum would be symbiosis..or war of reason? Lol, just saying..
    Yin/Yang, Shiva/Vishnu - could be fun! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Sounds like this thing is already going to Dallas. And mheaton, you think Galileo and a Church museum would be symbiosis..or war of reason? Lol, just saying..
    That is correct! The Green family has already purchased land in the Dallas area. DFW courted them and were agressive in getting them to locate in the area, where Oklahoma just sat on their laurels thinking they would automatically come to Oklahoma . Also, Hobby Lobby moved their distribution center to the DFW for their "Hemispheres Furniture stores" stating this is where there real market is and their stores are quite successful in the DFW area. It would not surprise me to see the Green family move the HQ of Hobby Lobby to DFW since this seems to be a starting trend for them, picking Texas over Oklahoma. Watch out Oklahoma, another company leaves Oklahoma for greener pastures............Stay tuned!!!

I doubt it progressiveboy, despite them not doing much in the local business community. I used to work for the Green's personally and know they would not completely uproot their company. They might move some operations to Dallas, but not uproot. You're overplaying the situation. I don't think OKC was probably ever given a chance on this one, they probably just started opting for Dallas without courting OKC. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    Sure! Almost any museum is good and we're the middle of the Bible belt so if it were in DT/Bricktown it would prolly get a lot of business from Bible belt travelers
    Yea we can get the "tea totterers" hopped up on tea, and a sneaked cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    Yea we can get the "tea totterers" hopped up on tea, and a sneaked cold beer.
    Maybe even get them to drink some coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    That is correct! The Green family has already purchased land in the Dallas area. DFW courted them and were agressive in getting them to locate in the area, where Oklahoma just sat on their laurels thinking they would automatically come to Oklahoma . Also, Hobby Lobby moved their distribution center to the DFW for their "Hemispheres Furniture stores" stating this is where there real market is and their stores are quite successful in the DFW area. It would not surprise me to see the Green family move the HQ of Hobby Lobby to DFW since this seems to be a starting trend for them, picking Texas over Oklahoma. Watch out Oklahoma, another company leaves Oklahoma for greener pastures............Stay tuned!!!
    They've never really liked OKC anyway, not sure what they've got against it. Hard to like a town when you stay out at SW 44th and Council Rd..lol. Aside from Texas, Green also sends all of his money to Tulsa..ORU in particular, which he previously had no connection to other than wanting to prop up a holy roller school.

Nobody in Oklahoma is buying their nauseating religious propaganda either. You should check out some lawsuits against Hobby Lobby..

The idea that an Oklahoma City based company is building this in Dallas is appaling. This needs to be located smack dab in the center of the OKC Arts District.

Do you really mean that, Kerry?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I doubt it progressiveboy, despite them not doing much in the local business community. I used to work for the Green's personally and know they would not completely uproot their company. They might move some operations to Dallas, but not uproot. You're overplaying the situation. I don't think OKC was probably ever given a chance on this one, they probably just started opting for Dallas without courting OKC. Sad really.
    Why do you think OKC was not given the chance on this one? It might seem on the surface that this may be overplaying however, it would not surprise me in the least bit if they did uproot the company and moved it out of state most logical place is DFW since they seem to be moving operations and investing there money in Texas more and more.... Again,stay tuned. I may be wrong however, it would not surprise me on bit if this did happen. I mean come on no state income tax, no corporate tax and a forward progressive, business climate. Just saying?????

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Do you really mean that, Kerry?
    Yes I do. The Arts District was created to lure museums. If we aren't interested in doing that they why bother? At 300,000 sq feet it would be a substantial addition to downtown OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Why do you think OKC was not given the chance on this one? It might seem on the surface that this may be overplaying however, it would not surprise me in the least bit if they did uproot the company and moved it out of state most logical place is DFW since they seem to be moving operations and investing there money in Texas more and more.... Again,stay tuned. I may be wrong however, it would not surprise me on bit if this did happen. I mean come on no state income tax, no corporate tax and a forward progressive, business climate. Just saying?????
    You fail to mention that the property tax is much higher. When you look at overall taxation rate, Texas is actually higher versus Oklahoma, they just word it differently in Texas. Again, you never mention the cost of living index.

They could move and beside the job losses it wouldn't matter much to me. For such a large company, they basically have no corporate presence in OKC. When was the last time you saw hobby lobby sponser a civic event or anything for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You fail to mention that the property tax is much higher. When you look at overall taxation rate, Texas is actually higher versus Oklahoma, they just word it differently in Texas. Again, you never mention the cost of living index.
    This is true, however, it makes up for it's presence in large HQ's and companies that have large pools of employees thus resulting in a more competive business climate that OKC will probably never see in their life time. These employers pay higher than average salaries than OKC. The property taxes are the only thing I would say is higher everything else is about even or cheaper. No taxes on food, my insurance rates are about the same as when I lived in OKC. Finally, you have such drastic weath here more millionares and billionares than you can shake a stick at. Examples are the Ross Perot families. Trammel Crow families, Harold Simmons families, Hunt families, Murchison families the list just goes on and on. Sure would be nice to see OKC get more wealth and companies but this remains to be seen????

Cost of food (without taxes, is quite a bit higher). I just bought a load of groceries from the Park Lane Whole Foods last week and they were considerably higher than the WF in Tulsa. I've shopped at other grocery stores in DFW as well. Am I jealous of a lot of things in DFW, "sure", but OKC is a bunch of things DFW will never be either and I'm ok with that. Courting white collar jobs isn't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    They could move and beside the job losses it wouldn't matter much to me. For such a large company, they basically have no corporate presence in OKC. When was the last time you saw hobby lobby sponser a civic event or anything for that matter?
    I noticed that as well.

They do more than you think, but regardless they employe thousands of Oklahomans, and that would have a ripple effect, just because they are largely "unseen" doesn't mean it wouldn't set OKC back.

Thread Information