Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golden Phoenix

Default Re: Golden Phoenix

Blog Entries

Well, that's a downgrade from the previous proposal, but good to get that bit of frontage redeveloped I guess.

We'll see if this gets built.

They've submitted several elaborate plans in the past.

I do like when the parking is behind the building or to the side. Makes Classen Blvd seem a bit more dense. I too liked the last round of plans. I have never been to this restaurant though. Is it any good?

Golden Phoenix has the best authentic Asian food in town but the service is generally poor. We were always willing to put up with the lack of service since the food is so good but the last time we were there we had a waiter who literally argued with us every time we asked for something and then the girl behind the counter tried to convince us that a dish has never been served in a specific manner when we've eaten that dish served in that manner for years. The guy who finally corrected her mistake acted like he was mad at us for insisting on getting it the way it's always been served. We haven't been back since that visit.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Well, that's a downgrade from the previous proposal
    *Major downgrade

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Golden Phoenix has the best authentic Asian food in town but the service is generally poor. We were always willing to put up with the lack of service since the food is so good but the last time we were there we had a waiter who literally argued with us every time we asked for something and then the girl behind the counter tried to convince us that a dish has never been served in a specific manner when we've eaten that dish served in that manner for years. The guy who finally corrected her mistake acted like he was mad at us for insisting on getting it the way it's always been served. We haven't been back since that visit.
    Chinese cuisine is pretty broad. Other places worth mentioning though: Fungs, Chows, and Tsubaki Szechuan. In terms of Chinese bbq though, I think it's just this place and Fungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Chinese cuisine is pretty broad. Other places worth mentioning though: Fungs, Chows, and Tsubaki Szechuan. In terms of Chinese bbq though, I think it's just this place and Fungs.
    Grand House too

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Grand House too
    Ah, they do dim sum and chinese bbq? Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Fungs is excellent, as is Szechuan Bistro on Memorial and Western. I've heard good things about Chows but have only eaten there once and don't remember much about it. Is Tsubaki Szechuan the relatively new place in the shopping center attached to Super Cao Nguyen? I've been wanting to try that one.

Fungs is excellent, as is Szechuan Bistro on Memorial and Western. I've heard good things about Chows but have only eaten there once and don't remember much about it. Is Tsubaki Szechuan the relatively new place in the shopping center attached to Super Cao Nguyen? I've been wanting to try that one.
    That's the one. I prefer it over Bistro.

Chow's is really good, about on a level with Szechuan Bistro, had duck tongue at Chow's one time and other than the fact that they're so small and it took forever to eat all of them, they were fantastic.

Good to hear that Tsubaki Szechuan is on par with Szechuan Bistro, since it's closer to us than Szechuan Bistro and we miss Bistro...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Chow's is really good, about on a level with Szechuan Bistro, had duck tongue at Chow's one time and other than the fact that they're so small and it took forever to eat all of them, they were fantastic.

Good to hear that Tsubaki Szechuan is on par with Szechuan Bistro, since it's closer to us than Szechuan Bistro and we miss Bistro...
    I actually had Golden Phoenix for the first time last week, and it'll be on my regular rotation. We typically alternate Fung's and Grand House for dim sum, and Chow's and Tsubaki are on the rotation. Bistro would be more often if it was closer.

Structure next to the supermarket is being demoed right now.

15. Default Re: Golden Phoenix

Just Walked by and snapped a few photos. Goodbye Pippy's!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1711.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	15246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	15247

I didn't realize until recently that the 'building' at the far south end was just a wall with nothing behind it.

17. Default Re: Golden Phoenix

so does this mean they're going ahead with the expansion and housing?

Also - just a suggestion but the city should paint the light posts and transit stops red in this district to create a theme. This is very common in other Chinatown areas. .... and is a very easy way to enhance placemaking for the district.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    so does this mean they're going ahead with the expansion and housing?

Also - just a suggestion but the city should paint the light posts and transit stops red in this district to create a theme. This is very common in other Chinatown areas. .... and is a very easy way to enhance placemaking for the district.
    No, they are moving Golden Phoenix to that spot (which will be new construction) and then that entire existing building will be an expanded market.

19. Default Re: Golden Phoenix

hm, sad to hear the housing is cancelled but great to hear about the dedicated restaurant and expansion of Chinatown Supermarket. It is long past due for OKC to have more than 1 very large Asian supermarket in the district, I like that Chinatown is Chinese focused and they can cary much more with expanded digs. ...

OMG LOL. This is, sadly, very funny.

I had a similar experience the last time I went there a few years ago. I went in a little over an hour before they closed and the waitress told me that the dish I wanted would take too long to cook and that they were closing in an hour or so. I haven't been back since that visit.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    I had a similar experience the last time I went there a few years ago. I went in a little over an hour before they closed and the waitress told me that the dish I wanted would take too long to cook and that they were closing in an hour or so. I haven't been back since that visit.
    It's too bad that such a good restaurant (solely based on food quality) has such lousy service. We will eventually go back but due to the last experience, we aren't in a hurry and even before that, the poor service limited our visits.

We now go to Kwan's, for Dim Sum, and Szchezuan Bistro when we want something authentic. Fungs is good but we ate there so often in past years that we got burned out on it.

24. Default Re: Golden Phoenix

TBH, this is pretty much the case in most Chinatown areas that I've been to - very rude service. ... OKC is not unique.

Hopefully the new building will infuse some new spirit into the staff but having a Chinese wife I can see their point in the time/preparation for Chinese dishes (many require LOTS of prep, but very quick final cooking). Easy solution might be to expand their hours to capture the demand. ......

Thread Information