Widgets Magazine

Thread: John Rex Elementary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kirk Humphreys proposing downtown elementary school

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    For those who actually want to see what will be built on that site, before formulating some cockomany conspiracy theories, here's a good place to start: http://www.humphreysco.com/#/projects/the-waterfront/

Who did Kirk Humphreys even piss off? Are people still upset that we had a mayor more than just ideologically committed to downtown rhetoric?
    Here are the guys that held political office just to name a couple who are going to profit from this Riverfront project thats been in place for years, Ron Norick, ex mayor, Kirk Humphreys ex mayor, and that is just the tip of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBTHEBUILDER View Post
    Here are the guys that held political office just to name a couple who are going to profit from this Riverfront project thats been in place for years, Ron Norick, ex mayor, Kirk Humphreys ex mayor, and that is just the tip of the list.
    Wow, I'm actually at a loss. I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again. There really is no point in arguing with you..your views are so off base, so ludicrous, and so firmly held that there is no point in even telling you why you're wrong.

Wow, I'm actually at a loss. I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again. There really is no point in arguing with you..your views are so off base, so ludicrous, and so firmly held that there is no point in even telling you why you're wrong.
    Time will tell.....
    Lets just say, its years and years of observing the same behavior with different players.
    And yes the views I have are firmly held, so dont waste your time, I know better, I have seen it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBTHEBUILDER View Post
    How will Ron Norick profit from this ?

For anyone who doubts the need for another downtown elementary school, look at the numbers for Wilson (PDF). Wilson is overflowing, and the capacity problems have gotten much worse the last few years as more people have moved downtown. Their class sizes are huge for an elementary school. Even after all the renovations are complete, it will still only have a 346 student capacity.

While we're on the subject of Wilson, it's worth pointing out that a non-profit named Wilson Arts, Inc. was formed to help support the school. Wilson Arts, Inc. raised over $684,000 through a capital campaign to supplement the MAPS renovations, particularly those concerning the fine arts classrooms. Kirk Humphreys and Dannie Bea Hightower were the co-chairs of this organization's board of directors.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but let's not act as if Kirk Humphreys doesn't have a history of supporting this particular cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post
    For anyone who doubts the need for another downtown elementary school, look at the numbers for Wilson (PDF). Wilson is overflowing, and the capacity problems have gotten much worse the last few years as more people have moved downtown. Their class sizes are huge for an elementary school. Even after all the renovations are complete, it will still only have a 346 student capacity.

While we're on the subject of Wilson, it's worth pointing out that a non-profit named Wilson Arts, Inc. was formed to help support the school. Wilson Arts, Inc. raised over $684,000 through a capital campaign to supplement the MAPS renovations, particularly those concerning the fine arts classrooms. Kirk Humphreys and Dannie Bea Hightower were the co-chairs of this organization's board of directors.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but let's not act as if Kirk Humphreys doesn't have a history of supporting this particular cause.
    THANK YOU. My point exactly. It's a teachable lesson that Kirk soured his reputation with one weird deal, but it is ridiculous for people who have done squat for OKC to lambaste someone who has for a long time been committed to community and education, both downtown, and city-wide.

This isn't the Kirk Humphreys Elementary School. He is just lending a hand to help the downtowners behind this to get the ball rolling and navigate the process.

THANK YOU. My point exactly. It's a teachable lesson that Kirk soured his reputation with one weird deal, but it is ridiculous for people who have done squat for OKC to lambaste someone who has for a long time been committed to community and education, both downtown, and city-wide.

This isn't the Kirk Humphreys Elementary School. He is just lending a hand to help the downtowners behind this to get the ball rolling and navigate the process.
    Who is lambasting him? He's a developer. A good developer financially benefits when he benefits the community. If he's laying the groundwork for development which will lure wealthy taxpayers back from the 'burbs and generally improve our downtown, great. That's a good thing. His reasons may not be 100% altruistic, but on the balance, this is all good stuff for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post

But what about OTHER okc public elementary schools in the area that are not at capacity? the last thing OKCPS needs to do is build a new school...

Some other OKCPS schools nearby (probably about the same distance from downtown as Wilson)

*Dunbar Elementary address: 1432 NE 7th Street
    Westwood Elementary address is 1701 Exchange Avenue
    Moon Academy grades K-8 address 1901 Northeast 13th Street

From NewsOK:

The city school board voted to close Dunbar Elementary, 1432 NE Seventh, this year in the face of an enrollment of 176 students and the potential savings of $300,000 a year.

Students from Dunbar Elementary will be split between two schools. Those who live north of NE 10 Street will attend Parks Elementary School and students who live south of NE 10 Street will attend Edwards Elementary. The district will offer transportation to both schools from the old Dunbar, 1432 NE Seventh St

Again, OKCPS does not need to build any more new schools. They can't even maintain the ones they do have. I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible, as I was OKCPS-educated from K-12.
    Last edited by okyeah; 08-10-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: *

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post
    But what about OTHER okc public elementary schools in the area that are not at capacity? the last thing OKCPS needs to do is build a new school...

Some other OKCPS schools nearby (probably about the same distance from downtown as Wilson)

*Dunbar Elementary address: 1432 NE 7th Street
    Westwood Elementary address is 1701 Exchange Avenue
    Moon Academy grades K-8 address 1901 Northeast 13th Street
    For reference (PDF):
    Dunbar
    Westwood
    Moon

First of all, not a single one of those schools' boundaries includes downtown. I didn't select Wilson as an example randomly; I chose it because it serves downtown.

Secondly, the only one of the three with decent academic performance is Westwood. Dunbar was failing academically. Moon is failing academically, and has just been named to the "needs improvement" list for the fifth consecutive year. From a NewsOK article on June 8, 2010:
    The board also approved a continuous learning calendar at F.D. Moon Academy as part of the school's mandated federal reform because of poor academic performance for five consecutive years. School will begin 12 days earlier and provide an additional 15 days of instruction during intercession for students behind grade level.

Ed Allen, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said teachers at Moon were not pleased to find out during the last week of school that next year would be a continuous learning calendar.

"Half of the teachers have requested to transfer,” Allen said. "Reform is pretty tough when you surprise people at the last minute.”
    Are you really suggesting that people who live or want to live downtown should be ok with having to file transfer applications to send their children to failing schools in other areas? That's ludicrous.

Thread Information