Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Hotel Summary

Default Downtown Hotel Summary

Updated 7/13/22
    Click on hotel name for wiki article.
    Numbers indicate rooms built, under construction and proposed.
    # Area Open Image Project Built U.C. Prop. Total
    1 1975 Sheraton
    2 1999 Wydham Grand
    3 2003 Courtyard by Marriott
    4 2006 Colcord
    5 2007* Hilton Skirvin
    6 2022 First National Center
    7 2020 Omni Convention Hotel
    8 2006 Residence Inn
    9 2008 Hampton Inn
    10 2013 OK Kids Korral
    11 2014 Hilton Garden Inn
    12 2014 Ambassador
    13 2014 Aloft
    14 2015 Holiday Inn Express
    15 2015 Embassy Suites
    16 2016 21c Museum Hotel
    17 2018 Staybridge Suites
    18 2017 AC by Marriott
    19 2018 Hyatt Place
    20 2017 SpringHill Suites
    21 2021 Bricktown Renaissance
    22 2020 Fairfield Inn
    23 2024 OKANA
    24 2024 Convergence
    25 2024 Dream Hotel
    26 2024 Unscripted Hotel
    ? Arrive (dead)
    ? Towneplace Suites (dead)
    ? Hotel Indigo (dead)
    Best Western (dead)
    Canopy by Hilton (dead)
    Cambria Hotel (dead)
    LaQuinta Hotel (dead)
    Totals:
    * closed from 1988-2007

Default Re: Downtown Hotel Summary

Very interesting point...

Before MAPS, there was ONE downtown hotel, the Sheraton (the Skirvin was long shuttered).

There are now 12 either finished or under construction with seven more on the drawing boards.

From a 9/26/13 study released by Smith Travel Research:

OKC has 22,902 rooms in 239 properties which through 8 months of 2013 were 68% occupied at an average daily rate of $78.57.

Tulsa has 14,404 rooms in 148 properties which through 8 months of 2013 were 58% occupied at an average daily rate of $75.19.

The entire state has 62,205 rooms in 818 properties which through 8 months of 2013 were 63% occupied.

From the downtown hotel summary in the article above, there are 580 rooms under construction in the central core with another 1,340 proposed.

There is also the 9-story Hilton ready for construction at I-40 and Meridian and two more 125+ room hotels under construction at Meridian & the Oklahoma River.

It appears OKC's total room inventory is going to increase by more than 10% within the next two years.

http://naisullivangroup.com/OKNews/T...strygrowth.pdf

Here is more interesting statistical information regarding OKC area hotels...

In the 1992 Census of Service Industries, it showed the OKC MSA with only 9,509 rooms in 110 hotels/motels.

The first MAPS passed in 1993 and now we have 22,902 rooms in 239 properties -- that is a 141% increase in rooms in just 20 years, with lots more on the way.

During that same 20-year period, the OKC MSA population grew about 29%.

Updated the summary in the article above to include the just-announced 21c Museum Hotel.

This is probably unrelated to this growth in hotel rooms but who knows in the future. As the central core of OKC reurbanizes one of the things that gets cut from the housing equation is the extra bedroom. The idea of down sizing from 4 bedrooms to 3 bedrooms has been a subject in our house and I finally convinced my wife the monthly mortgage different between a 3 bedroom house and 4 bedroom house is big enough that we would could pay for the hotel room for visiting friends and family instead of mortgaging the extra room. It doesn't make sense to pay for a spare bedroom for 30 years when we only need it a few days a year at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This is probably unrelated to this growth in hotel rooms but who knows in the future. As the central core of OKC reurbanizes one of the things that gets cut from the housing equation is the extra bedroom. The idea of down sizing from 4 bedrooms to 3 bedrooms has been a subject in our house and I finally convinced my wife the monthly mortgage different between a 3 bedroom house and 4 bedroom house is big enough that we would could pay for the hotel room for visiting friends and family instead of mortgaging the extra room. It doesn't make sense to pay for a spare bedroom for 30 years when we only need it a few days a year at most.
    This is exactly what we do. I've got 2.5 bedrooms (one is so tiny that it has a love seat sleeper sofa in it) and more guests than my house can hold this weekend. So I'll spend $500 on a hotel room for my daughter. I spend about $1,000 a year or so, a lot less than we'd pay for more square feet.

When we go visit people we stay in a hotel regardless if our host has room for us or not. It's just easier, even if it does cost us more.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    When we go visit people we stay in a hotel regardless if our host has room for us or not. It's just easier, even if it does cost us more.
    JTF, ... I think you are on to something here. From a civic POV, we should ALL downsize by 1/2. Make our older kids "get their own place after graduation of college". And have all Holidays at the new hotels downtown. We could all save money, less stress, and we don't have to cook or clean up the mess. I'm in.

Updated the article to reflect the openings of the Ambassador and the Hilton Garden Inn.

Updated the article with a narrative update which will be done on a quarterly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Updated the article with a narrative update which will be done on a quarterly basis.
    Fantastic update. Thanks, Pete.

Interesting stats on downtown occupancy rates from this article in OKC.biz:

In the first two months of 2014, Carrier said Oklahoma City bested the national average for hotel occupancy in a traditionally sluggish time. Hotel occupancy around the nation was at 56 percent. Oklahoma City as a whole was at 58.4 occupancy during that period. In downtown alone, occupancy was in excess of 72 percent during January and February.
    okcBIZ: Downtown adds two new hotels

I updated the summary at the top of the page to reflect the addition of Canopy.

That brings the downtown hotel total to 19; 11 finished, 2 under construction, and 6 more proposed. There is also a very good chance First National Center will include a hotel as well.

Quite a change from the late 80's when there was only ONE downtown hotel: the Sheraton. The Renaissance opened in 1999 but there wasn't another new hotel in the area until the Courtyard by Marriott in 2003.

Blog Entries

Impressive as the construction continues on the 194 room Embassy Suites in the OU Medical Center zone. There are several construction projects in at area.

Yesterday, I noticed some kind of construction activity atop the VA Hospital.

Updated the summary at the top to move 21c in the the Under Construction category.

Hope to soon add First National Center when more details are revealed (number of rooms, flag, etc.).

I updated the article at the top of the page to reflect the opening of the Embassy Suites.

We now have 2,389 rooms in 13 hotels in the urban core, with many more planned.

Interesting to note: 21c is the only hotel currently under construction, with lots more planned.

I've updated the summary article to include the room count for the proposed Fairfield Inn in the Core to Shore area.

4,276 rooms now built, under construction or planned.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but where is the AC by Marriott going?

20. Default Re: Downtown Hotel Summary

5000 is the magic mark for downtown IMO, with a total of 6500 as the magic mark for the core. About half way there!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've updated the summary article to include the room count for the proposed Fairfield Inn in the Core to Shore area.

4,276 rooms now built, under construction or planned.
    The more reputable hotels Oklahoma City can acquire in its downtown-Bricktown portfolio; more events we will be able to attact to make for a viable convention center & conference hotel that functions.

Six thousand (6,000-plus) hotel rooms in the area of the Chesapeake Energy Arena will make us eligible for the NBA All Star Game Classic & week attractions. We will need to continue with upgrades to the Chesapeake Energy Arena. Adam Silver says Cavs? arena needs upgrades before Cleveland can host All-Star Weekend | ProBasketballTalk

NBA All Star Game Classic is accepting bids for the 2017 & 2018 years; Charlotte, Portland, Cleveland & Memphis are among hopefuls.

At the rate we add new hotels & rooms to the CBD area, Oklahoma City could be ready after 2020.

Updated the article at the top of the page to reflect:

2 proposed Core to Shore hotels now dead due to new location of convention center.
    Shifted Canopy to the Brickworks site and added new hotel (flag TBD) at Oklahoma & Sheridan.

Several other downtown hotel deals currently in the works but too early to list.

I undated the article in the first post of this thread to show that there are now 2,770 built hotel rooms in 16 hotels in the downtown area, with 563 under construction, 1,184 proposed for a total of 4,517 rooms in 25 hotels.

Reminder that until 1999 we only had one hotel in all of downtown, the Sheraton.

Blog Entries

What are the boundaries you're using? Strictly downtown or are you including for example the 4 on the other side of 235 from Bricktown?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    What are the boundaries you're using? Strictly downtown or are you including for example the 4 on the other side of 235 from Bricktown?
    Anything in the "core".

I have not included the hotels on Reno east of I-235.

Thread Information