Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal government provides grant to rehire 29 eliminated firefighters!

Default Federal government provides grant to rehire 29 eliminated firefighters!

OCFD Fire Administration was notified today by U.S. Senator James Inhofe’s office that our application for the Federal SAFER Grant was approved.* Official notice of the award will be made Friday, February 25, 2011.* This grant will provide funding to replace 29 positions eliminated in current years’ budgets.*

Default Re: Federal government provides grant to rehire 29 eliminated firefighters!

Very nice. I know the personnel issue was the priority one for your department so that's great.

Default Re: Federal government provides grant to rehire 29 eliminated firefighters!

I'm going to add that were I running for City Council, which I will never do, my platform would include a consolidation of the FD and EMSA with small emergency response vehicles and telephone triage of calls. It would also include a permanent 1 cent sales tax increase, with .75% going to schools and .25% going to public safety for personnel, structures and equipment. Luckily, I don't have to win an election with that platform, as I probably wouldn't.

How long does the grant last? Is it expected to be renewed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    OCFD Fire Administration was notified today by U.S. Senator James Inhofe’s office that our application for the Federal SAFER Grant was approved.* Official notice of the award will be made Friday, February 25, 2011.* This grant will provide funding to replace 29 positions eliminated in current years’ budgets.*
    That's good news Marshall. So, federal earmarks are fine as long as they benefit you?

LG, I'm actually opposed to these grants. I posted earlier how badly it disgusts me that the city manager has applied to FEMA for reimbursement of emergency services during the last snow storm. Oklahoma City has lots of cash on hand. they have snookered people into thinking they don't.

Where is the fedaral government going to get the money from?

From you Kerry!

LG, I'm actually opposed to these grants I posted earlier how badly it disgusts me that the city manager has applied to FEMA for reimbursement of emergency services during the last snow storm. Oklahoma City has lots of cash on hand. they have snookered people into thinking they don't.
    you have got to be kidding me ..

Bouldersooner, I'll bite. What has you perplexed?

From you Kerry!
    Not from me they aren't. The Chinese maybe, but not me. I don't buy US Treasuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Not from me they aren't. The Chinese maybe, but not me. I don't buy US Treasuries.
    You'll end up footing the bill.

Bouldersooner, I'll bite. What has you perplexed?
    that it "disgusts" you that the city is being responsible with its budget and applying for federal aid to cover what was a "state of emergency" (as declared by the state) that was not part of the city's budget.... or that you are opposed that we are getting a grant to higher fire fighters and i'm sure you won't like that we most likely will get 75 mil or so from the FTA for transit ...

the federal money is going to go somewhere .. it might as well come to oklahoma city

Maybe the FOP can quiet down a little and let progress continue

What I have a problem with is the city has a dedicated sales tax to fund the fire department plus general fund allocations. Its already paid for! How is it right to bill the feds for smoke detectors that were given to the fire dept.? SAFER Grants are for small deptartments to get equipment to run the department. Not to fund large metro departments who are playing funny with the numbers so they can claim they are in bad financial footing.

Pennyquilts, it's most likely 1-3 years.

Good news for the FD.
    Betts for Council. I like your ideas.

It would also include a permanent 1 cent sales tax increase, with .75% going to schools and .25% going to public safety for personnel, structures and equipment. Luckily, I don't have to win an election with that platform, as I probably wouldn't.
    I don't know that I would go for a one cent permanent increase, but I would go for half that. And I might quibble with the distribution.

Here's why it won't happen.

Anyone can campaign against a tax increase or bond issue, but the city is forbidden by law to campaign for them. It uses proxies to do its campaigning. The FOP and IAFF used to be among those proxies, but obviously that doesn't happen much anymore. Among those who do campaign in support of city revenue proposals are the Chamber of Commerce and the contractors' association.

Every one of these groups expects to get, in exchange for its support, the lion's share of the revenue. And if you want to buy at least the FOP's and IAFF's silence, you have to promise them the lion's share as well. So, by the time you've bought the support of everyone whose support you need, there's no money left for the things you actually want to fund.

It's pretty much hopeless, IMO.

I'm unclear. Who applied for the federal grant that churns mikemarsh's tummy, the city or the union itself?
    It sounds like a good deal for the firefolk, and thus the folk they protect and serve. It sounds like a not so good deal for the folk in podunk or loneprarie hamlets who are told, sorry your cheese got cut and and sent as feed for the big city mice.

Pate, it is a good deal. But we don't need it. The city has the revenues to fund the FD where it needs to be. The really odd thing is the city manager refused to apply for the grant.

I believe the point that mikemarsh is making is that the FD staff went an applied for the grant without the support of the City Manager who could give a Rats A@#$ whether or not the additional 29 FF's positions were filled. Even though census shows that total population for OKC is up and that total call volume has more than tripled in the past 15 years; the CM and Mayor would just as soon see PS and other departments cut. The city has the money for these positions, HAS had the money for these positions and continues to play the "whoa is me" card to those ignorant citizens that continue to drink the koolaid.

Cue- RC and his lawnmower management perspective from his lake side plot.

21. Default Re: Federal government provides grant to rehire 29 eliminated firefighters!

Steve steps up to plate. Steve prepares to ask a REALLY annoying question. He expects Mike, Barnold and others to get REEEEEEEEALLLLLLYYYYY mad at him...
    Nah, never mind. It wouldn't be a constructive move. And Tuesday will be over soon enough.
    Good night guys. Politics aside, thanks for keeping us safe.

Quote Originally Posted by barnold View Post
    I believe the point that mikemarsh is making is that the FD staff went an applied for the grant without the support of the City Manager who could give a Rats A@#$ whether or not the additional 29 FF's positions were filled. Even though census shows that total population for OKC is up and that total call volume has more than tripled in the past 15 years; the CM and Mayor would just as soon see PS and other departments cut. The city has the money for these positions, HAS had the money for these positions and continues to play the "whoa is me" card to those ignorant citizens that continue to drink the koolaid.

Cue- RC and his lawnmower management perspective from his lake side plot.
    Fire fighters not happy because MAPS3 contained nothing for them, Federal Grant applied for and approved for additional fire fighters approved and they are still not happy, you guys must have inhaled too much smoke.

Cue--barnold and his pole sliding, greased hands perspective, PS--don't be sliding on any dry poles.

What I have a problem with is the city has a dedicated sales tax to fund the fire department plus general fund allocations. Its already paid for! How is it right to bill the feds for smoke detectors that were given to the fire dept.? SAFER Grants are for small deptartments to get equipment to run the department. Not to fund large metro departments who are playing funny with the numbers so they can claim they are in bad financial footing.

Pennyquilts, it's most likely 1-3 years.
    While I support most Public Safety issues, what I and most others have a problem with is the fact the Fire Dept. has a dedicated sales tax, general fund allocation, and they still bitch and complain, and want more more more.

If only they had a church music director that could somehow help them out

Where is this money hidden that you say the city has?

Thread Information