Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ebola virus

Default Re: Ebola virus

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Is she required to stay 3 feet from Boyfriend as they watch the movie?.. we can't be too careful
    Well you know how men measure 12 inches so it may be a shorter distance that originally thought *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Well you know how men measure 12 inches so it may be a shorter distance that originally thought *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I apologize moderaters I attempted to not make this personal.. however to use such offensive terms and then be able to defend them and insult others is over the top for me.. instead of just admitting it was poor choice of words. over and over and over and always turn it around on everyone is just beyond. never taking any responsibility.
    Tell you what. I'm talking to my brother, this weekend and I'll ask his opinion if he thinks my horrible use of "AIDS people" is objectively indicative of a horrible person who is ignorant. I'll ask him if gay folk will of course condescendingly think "bless her heart" when they know me and hear me say it. I'll ask him if I deserved the bitching out and fury my words caused. I'll ask him if equating the ebola crisis with the AIDES crisis strikes him as a good idea. I'll ask him if he thinks it is offensive for a straight person with a gay loved one to express that they have a right to speak their mind. And I'll ask him if he agrees with you that a public attack on my terminology, bringing up that you are gay so you should be listened to, calling someone insensitive and ignorant for using "improper terms" does or does not create walls that have to be there. Of course he's my brother and his take on the situation might be different from yours. The difference being is that to him, I'm a person. To you, I'm just non PC and despite not saying one word against gays, I got it with both barrels for using what was, in your mind, an "improper term." I can't believe you apologized to the mods but blamed me for your behavior. You are being completely negative and unreasonable about this.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    No. The AIDS virus is not remotely as contagious as the ebola virus. Name a health care worker who ever came down with AIDS from treating an AIDS patient with standard universal precautions. Or even without them. Name ONE person who came down with aids from casually touching an AIDS victim. Doesn't happen.
    I never said it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I never said it did.
    Yes, I know. Just a turn of phrase. AIDS essentially destroys the immune system and makes people prone to opportunistic diseases. It doesn't like saliva and is a pretty fragile virus that isn't going to remain viable for any length of time in the open. It stays hidden in the body and once you are infected, there isn't really any cure - you just manage it as best you can by propping up your immune system. You are considered contageous, for life. Because it only spreads by intimate contact and you don't have sudden, violent symptoms from the virus, itself, it is much harder to get.

Ebola is an aggressive, virulent virus that seeks out hosts and destroys them. The incubation period is well known and it kills you, or you survive and become noninfectious in a matter of weeks/months. The symptoms of ebola (unlike AIDS) include high fever, projectile vomiting, explosive diarrhea and all manner of ways to infect others. It is how the virus finds a new host. If you have similar symptoms from AIDS, it is likely coming from an opportunistic disease rather than the AIDS virus, itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10593190_10152830259790070_3862698294407439829_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	9400

Are we still sitting with a grand total of one death in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Are we still sitting with a grand total of one death in the US?
    Yes, and hopefully that will be the last.

I think that everyone needs to take just a moment to breathe a couple of breaths of Free American Air, enjoy the fact that Autumn is upon us, open a copy of one of those wonderful novels by that Scotsman from Botswana (or listen to the Novel on tape/cd/interstellar beaming/whatever) "The First Lady Detective Agency" and go down to stand in line for the Ebola Vaccine. Wouldn't that be grand? (c/o Billy Connolly and Billy Collins =)

Arguing over this stuff gets us nowhere . . . don't it?

(btw/fyi: I thought the bicycling health purveyor on the TV/IN (internet) news with possible ebola should have possibly been run over, but she was surrounded by the press and they would have been collateral damage to an unacceptable degree.) =)

Yes, I know. Just a turn of phrase. AIDS essentially destroys the immune system and makes people prone to opportunistic diseases. It doesn't like saliva and is a pretty fragile virus that isn't going to remain viable for any length of time in the open. It stays hidden in the body and once you are infected, there isn't really any cure - you just manage it as best you can by propping up your immune system. You are considered contageous, for life. Because it only spreads by intimate contact and you don't have sudden, violent symptoms from the virus, itself, it is much harder to get.

Ebola is an aggressive, virulent virus that seeks out hosts and destroys them. The incubation period is well known and it kills you, or you survive and become noninfectious in a matter of weeks/months. The symptoms of ebola (unlike AIDS) include high fever, projectile vomiting, explosive diarrhea and all manner of ways to infect others. It is how the virus finds a new host. If you have similar symptoms from AIDS, it is likely coming from an opportunistic disease rather than the AIDS virus, itself.
    I, too, read "The Hot Zone".
    I, too, appreciate The Quality of Quilts Well Made.
    I also wonder why you seem to be "overconcerned" about this, most recent, threat to our personal (in the general sense of personal =), environment.

No Joke . .. I wonder . . .
    (if adopted Canadians have the key . . . =)

For Clarification, Edited to Add: That vidclip was dedicated to all of the "Victims" of Quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I think that everyone needs to take just a moment to breathe a couple of breaths of Free American Air, enjoy the fact that Autumn is upon us, open a copy of one of those wonderful novels by that Scotsman from Botswana (or listen to the Novel on tape/cd/interstellar beaming/whatever) "The First Lady Detective Agency" and go down to stand in line for the Ebola Vaccine. Wouldn't that be grand? (c/o Billy Connolly and Billy Collins =)

Arguing over this stuff gets us nowhere . . . don't it?

(btw/fyi: I thought the bicycling health purveyor on the TV/IN (internet) news with possible ebola should have possibly been run over, but she was surrounded by the press and they would have been collateral damage to an unacceptable degree.) =)
    correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't getting nowhere technically be getting somewhere? I mean if you're somewhere, and want to get to nowhere, you got there, which is somewhere. Just thinking out loud here.

correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't getting nowhere technically be getting somewhere? I mean if you're somewhere, and want to get to nowhere, you got there, which is somewhere. Just thinking out loud here.
    Be careful. You'll get slammed for that.

You are exactly right. Therefore, no correction is necessary. Is it? =)
    (hint: in real life, look for "the tell" in the actual response, then go for the sale . . . or the sail =),

(I like being Passive Progressive . . . =)

Sorry: This thread is about Ebola, Threat of. I digressed . . . sort of.
    (no incoming flights from Africa. Three month quarantine.)
    Suddenly "Open Borders" takes on an entirely new dimension of meaning . . .

You are exactly right. Therefore, no correction is necessary. Is it? =)
    (hint: in real life, look for "the tell" in the actual response, then go for the sale . . . or the sail =),

(I like being Passive Progressive . . . =)

Sorry: This thread is about Ebola, Threat of. I digressed . . . sort of.
    (no incoming flights from Africa. Three month quarantine.)
    Suddenly "Open Borders" takes on an entirely new dimension of meaning . . .
    I know. I wasn't texting and driving when I wrote that either, that you can belive. Well, I was driving. . . . my soul.

I know. I wasn't texting and driving when I wrote that either, that you can belive. Well, I was driving. . . . my soul.
    The topic here is Ebola Virus.
    (with a side of AIDS)
    The learning might be as simple as what you just stated. =)
    (all of us will go one way or another)
    Hopefully not from Infectious Disease
    (nor improper driving, etc......ad infinitum)

Consider yourself "slammed" (c/o Mel) =)

Just remember that we all share, and suffer, a terminal illness. It's called "life."

Good news - the NYC Hipster Doc is improving and his condition has been upgraded to stable. He isn't completely out of the woods but there is cause to be optimistic that he'll fully recover. He is young and strong and that's good. No word on his fiance currently in quarantine (or something). I haven't done the math but, hopefully, the highest risk period may have passed. Hope she will be okay.

Good news - the NYC Hipster Doc is improving and his condition has been upgraded to stable. He isn't completely out of the woods but there is cause to be optimistic that he'll fully recover. He is young and strong and that's good. No word on his fiance currently in quarantine (or something). I haven't done the math but, hopefully, the highest risk period may have passed. Hope she will be okay.
    Did the "Hipster Doc" have to put on looser pants? Or wear differently shaped glasses? I hope not.
    Have "They" returned his bongos and beret? =)

I hope they have quarantined his stethoscope and that weird mirror thing on their heads that they used to be required to wear for further observation . . . =)

(I hope you know that I'm not needling you, Penny. you are one of my favorite people.)

Did the "Hipster Doc" have to put on looser pants? Or wear differently shaped glasses? I hope not.
    Have "They" returned his bongos and beret? =)

I hope they have quarantined his stethoscope and that weird mirror thing on their heads that they used to be required to wear for further observation . . . =)

(I hope you know that I'm not needling you, Penny. you are one of my favorite people.)
    I didn't come up with the term. The very bad joke up in NYC was the hope that his pre-ebola meanderings to so many hipster hotspots would eradicate the city of the hipster pestulance. Depending on your sense of humor or whether you were a hipster or considered them a plague on the city, some were furious and some thought it was hilarious. Hipster Doc is just the handle he got tagged with.

I listen to Sirius XM radio in the car. Channel 82 is Doctor Radio and they broadcast from the lobby of the NYC Langone Medical Center. On Thursday, they had a show about Ebola. They said that the biggest problem in the US with regard to Ebola has been the irresponsible coverage of the media. They mentioned that as they spoke on the radio, there were no less than 10 satellite trucks parked in the hospital parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
    I listen to Sirius XM radio in the car. Channel 82 is Doctor Radio and they broadcast from the lobby of the NYC Langone Medical Center. On Thursday, they had a show about Ebola. They said that the biggest problem in the US with regard to Ebola has been the irresponsible coverage of the media. They mentioned that as they spoke on the radio, there were no less than 10 satellite trucks parked in the hospital parking lot.
    Not just the media, irresponsible stuff gets put on message boards too.

Mistake

State officials developing specialized unit for any future Ebola cases in Oklahoma | News OK

As I work at OU Medical Center, I saw an internal announcement about this yesterday (Friday 10/31). The "decomissioned hospital building" referred to in TFA is Garrison Tower, part of the old Children's Hospital building complex. Children's inpatient services moved to the old Universtiy Hospital building in 2007, and outpatient services moved out in 2009. The state has been slowly converting the building to office use, but there are still some untouched patient spaces left, with intact medical gas lines, generator power, etc., and the building itself is still in good shape. If we're going to build a biocontainment unit, this is a good place to put it, away fom regular patient services, but in close proximity to a major medical center. Hopefully, it'll never be put to use.

The only downside is, my office is in this building (no kidding).

Prunepicker Guest

I know. I wasn't texting and driving when I wrote that either, that you can belive.
    Well, I was driving. . . . my soul.
    When we were visiting a couple of weeks ago you didn't even have your
    phone turned on!

Thread Information